Tactica: Rubric Marines

Nym

A thread about tactica for a unit should not be about comparing it to other units, so could that be kept somewhere else, perhaps?

Personally, my collection goal includes a squad maximised rubrics with 2 soulreapers and warpbolters for the rest, plus a unit of 10 with 9 flamers. Either deepstrike the flamerguys with someone who can warptime them (DP with wings who can get forward fast or a sorceror going webway style). That or warptiming them across, or sticking them in a rhino if I feel like going easy on my opponent. So many flamers are a lot of points, that is true, but 9 flamers is just over 30 autohits on average. That's gotta lay down the hurt. 20 dead cultists/guardsmen average from 1 round of shooting from that unit. Or 15 Ork Boyz. Or most of a marine squad if not all of it. Also the amount of overwatch hits is luring.

Regards

Given that most opponents would like to charge Rubrics to stop them shooting I'm guessing a couple of flamers in a 10 man squad is a prudent consideration? 

2 Warpflamers cost 30pts. That's also 10 Brimstones.

If you're affraid of being charged, you're better off just taking 10 Brimstones and using them as a speed bump imo. ^^

I have been feeling like it's better to just put more models on the table or stick to one, which is a shame as the flamer looks cool but the price is less so. I've no real interest in Daemons, as I want my army to focus on Rubrics and Sorcerers but there's always the option to withdraw and shoot with other units if things get desperate :)

Good points on mixed load outs.  Seems the basic thought is...

Friendly play: mixed load out good?

Competitive play: mixed load out bad?

You make a good argument on the Brims, though I need to bring another detachment for that yes?  To keep the legion traiit?  I got others things I want to buy though before I dive into deamons and since I play friendly play I sometimes like the a couple warpflamers.  As soon as I have a chance to test I may change my mind...

In 8th edtiion the gap between friendly and competitive isn't as wide. Any unit selection is capable of dealing damage if not winning, so I don't think mixed rubrics are good in friendly or more competitive matches. The range discrepancy kills that idea.

Given that most opponents would like to charge Rubrics to stop them shooting I'm guessing a couple of flamers in a 10 man squad is a prudent consideration? 

2 Warpflamers cost 30pts. That's also 10 Brimstones.

If you're affraid of being charged, you're better off just taking 10 Brimstones and using them as a speed bump imo. ^^

Not to mention the fact that if you do set them up right, charging Rubricae can be somewhat painful even without flamers (character for reroll 1's on overwatch and CC, Prescience for CC, Plasma/Inferno Bolt Pistol and Mortal Wound spell going off during successive combat, etc.).

Watching 40 Grey Hunters break themselves on 20 Rubricae and 2 characters was the highlight of my first game in 8th.

In 8th edtiion the gap between friendly and competitive isn't as wide. Any unit selection is capable of dealing damage if not winning, so I don't think mixed rubrics are good in friendly or more competitive matches. The range discrepancy kills that idea.

Good points. I collect more than play these days so may not have noticed. Its good we have options available.

If anyone has any xp with mixed load outs on Rubrics please share.

I'm sticking with Soulreapers and bolters on mine, regardless if I bring 2x10 or 1x20.

I find the flamers too expensive, and you need powers (like warptime) to get the most out of them, especially if you deepstrike.
Soulreapers/bolters "work as intended" from the get-go. 

Edit: meant Soulreapers and bolters ofcourse.

I have found success with my rubrics, but as said above its usually 2-6 warp flamers depending + a reaper cannon when applicable. 

OR its all bolters + reaper cannon. 

Either usually works for me fine, as for the "but brimstones cost that much." They give you bodies this is true!  But, they cant put out threat on anything..... A couple warp flamers shooting at a... say T7 or less tank? that tank is probably half-crippled.  I have killed daemon princes and tanks and characters with that kind of damage output.  Its expensive, but they are a tool for a job. 

Something to keep in mind, and I think it bares mentioning. helps with Horde issues, definitely has applications dealing with TEQ or MEQ, and even some light AT duty which I have had success with. (Wouldnt bother against T8, but against most else your fine) 

In power level I will mix weapons because I'm not paying the difference. In matched play its either or or.

And good point on the Brimestone Horrors. 30 points of warpflamers in not as efficient use of points as us 30 points to horrors.

I'm only a few games in but I've been having success with unit of nine with one warp flamer (the sorcerer has a staff and the warp flame pistol0. I mainly run two squads of SOT, and I deploy the Rubric into the webway. My base strategy is to deep strike them first very aggressively to try and trigger any defensive stratagem.

They either ignore them which allows me to be a bit more conservative with my termies, because I have a fair amount of shots on a critical target, so I can get them out of range or Los. If they go after them the rubrics tend to handle the damage better simply by having more models. 

I have found that Exalted flamers with a Herald nearby complement Rubrics very well. Exalteds can Hide just behind the Rubrics and shoot thier Blue Flame S9 ap -4 at targets which need heavy hitting, if the Rubrics get charged the Exalted Flamer can do a Heroic Intervention, if they charge both units Exalteds contributes an extra S5 -2 AP flamer to the overwatch, S6 if you have the Herald.  

Ive always loved the idea of the icon but i think was 10 points. Only 5 points i am more likly to take it. In open power level play i had them on 3 units and they did some nickles and dimes MWs. its a cool annoyance when goes off combined with smite but would like to have seen maybe a small boost to 5+ to go off. i might even pay 10 for that.

Icon of flame is fairly garbage, it rarely works. Id rather have warpflame pistol on aspirings or exalteds. 

played a 4000 point game yesterday, 45 Rubrics hit the table with Magnus, Ahriman, 3 exalted, Terminator Sorcerer  and a bunch of other stuff including 4 daemon engines

Rubrics are just so good if you target-prioritize correctly, in my case they were responsible for killing an opposing exalted, a 10 man unit of zerkers out of a freshly blown up rhino, 20 some odd bloodletters, a disco-predator, among many others.... We can buff stuff into the stratosphere, so things like Daemon Engines, Rubrics, and of course the humble Tzaangor with us can become very dangerous with a buff or 2...or 3...or 4....stacked onto them. 

I love how dangerous our bolters are lol. exalted for RR1's nearby is just so good. 

Icon of Flame is garbage. At 10 points it was useless, at 5 points its useless. I mostly play power level and so I take them, but my last to games I think I did a total of maybe 2 mortal wounds. 6+ to one unit in 12" is just not enough for it to matter.

Archived