Tactica: Rubric Marines

Nym

• 2 months later...

Thread-o-mancy!  Bring this old dusty thread back to life for a bit :wink: 

I thought id re-up this old thread since its still just as valid now. 

Wrote a few lists at 2000 and I have had some real success in 2k with fielding 40 Rubrics, I want to up this to 50-60 honestly. This list really takes advantage of *everything* in the list requiring multi-wound to kill it effectively. Though I have a couple losses in a semi-competitive meta (have not taken this list to a tourney) I have found definite success at least in  my local meta with them (assuming the bloody warp doesn't decide to not work that day lol)  

I can either do 10/10/10/10, or 10/10/20 (if a 20 man I give a few warp flamers to help deter charges up front) 

For HQ's I use a Daemon Prince (usually wings), Ahriman on a Disc, and another Exalted on a disc with two power swords and Seers bane. He is swap-able with a Terminator Sorcerer, This gives me an easy way of having 3 +1 to casts (Ahriman, Prince with High Magister, and a Terminator Sorcerer with Familiar.  The Bane Exalted and the Daemon Prince are on disc/wings respectively specifically to dig out rubrics from anyone that decides to tie them up in Melee.  the other thing is the Dark Matter Crystal, this is great for any of the squads of a decent size that gets tied up. 

So the items are usually Helm-of-third-eye (Duh), and then Seer's Bane or Matter Crystal, 10 mans i usually will just suck the charge on a squad and have them retreat and other squads plug the valid target after pulling back. With the Prince and Exalted cleaning up most targets in melee fairly easily. 

When using the 20 man blob warp time was the obvious option; but now after the deepstrike nerf I am tempted to foot-slog the squad until turn 2 and then dark-matter-crystel them into a position to ravage a squad that is opportune, or waddle up the board onto objectives and warp-time when needed to reposition, get in ideal spots, or to warp-flame units. 

With 10s its more about evening out buffs across the squads, or giving 1 particular squad the extra kick with Prescience/VoTLW.  I am debating standard squad load out (8 infernos, soul reaper, aspiring) but now that I am thinking of spreading more evenly perhaps 2 warp flamers in a squads a decent idea, though I feel if foot slogging those points (quite alot!) may be better spent to make sure I get all the walkers I need for support. 

the remainder of the army at 2k (give or take 800 points remaining after rubricae and casters) is in vehicles and/or engines for dedicated AT. Mauler fiend, Defiler, Vindicators are something I debated, and dreadnoughts/helbrutes/contemptors. 

All of these are valid options. 

Thoughts and expanding on the idea welcome! I *love* rubrics and they work pretty well in 8th (being just a slight hair overpriced) but having local success gives me hope for the list in at least lower level competitive metas. 

Hey Son, I am glad to see 10 and 20 man squads givin a shot and that you are doing it consistently and having fun.

Are you mixing load outs or have a flamer squad?

Flamers in rhinos seems to be in my future.

Has morale been an issue on your large squads? 5 cp per battalion offers some nice morale and perils mitigation.

With the limitation to warp time, and the buff to dreadclaws, maybe the drop pods will be more valuable for flamer squads in particular?

So only the dreadclaw comes out of reserve not the rubricae in them? That means they would be uneffected by the new beta rule, right?

Also how was the dreadclaw buffed? Do you speak of the points drop in CA or did I miss something in the last FAQ?

(Have a dreadclaw with 7 flamers will test and report back how they did; if I ever get a game in...)

I think Rhinos will be good. I ran a Tzaangor bomb so I need to re-work my list...so good times. Oddly I think the answer is more Tzaangors. Two of 20 instead of 1 of 30 and then run 10 Rubrics in a Rhino maybe with a havoc launcher to make it a little mobile fire base.

I like 2 twenty man though if I was running Tzangoor Bombs it would have been 1 of 30 also so I see your train of thought.    Is it me or are people starting to warm up to Rubrics more as a result of the FAQ?

I certainly dont dislike tzaangors, I just own 40 so the "2 twenty mans" is something I have used a few times, also a single 30 is still not bad but its nice to mitigate LD issues with duel units. 

I love the Rubrics so I make uses for squads in any list, though I get 10 (or 2 units of ten) in rhinos technically pulls its weight better then the foot-sloggers, I just find it fun.  Rhinos are great for rubrics in particular because the weapons you use to kill the rhinos are often the same types of weapons any given army will have to fire at rubrics to get the job done.  Very much a "damned if you do, and if you dont" kinda deal. 

I continue to have luck with the 20 man blob of Rubricae wrapped around a fistful of characters. I Warptime it up the field and the characters advance while the blob shoots everything. I own enough for 2 more 10-man's, including an all-Warpflamer squad, but I've yet to need them. We'll see how things shake out here post-FAQ. Thinking I might want to dust off my Storm Eagle.

A twenty men rubric might work, i think a stealth buff to warptime is the FAQ where the advance roll made in the initial movement phase covers the one made in the psychic phase with warptime. Still movement 5" is rough even if warptime goes off.

With 2 Tzaangor squads it help with LD and that is more charge rolls made in the charge phase increasing my chances of getting stuck in.

Maybe I will run one 20-man Tzaangor and two 10-man Rubric? Im not sure.

A twenty men rubric might work, i think a stealth buff to warptime is the FAQ where the advance roll made in the initial movement phase covers the one made in the psychic phase with warptime. Still movement 5" is rough even if warptime goes off.

With 2 Tzaangor squads it help with LD and that is more charge rolls made in the charge phase increasing my chances of getting stuck in.

Maybe I will run one 20-man Tzaangor and two 10-man Rubric? Im not sure.

I run 20 tzaangors either in a single unit or split and then have two units of rubrics with 10 in each and I like it a lot.

Don't forget that we can use cultists, who are less hurt by the changes to Warp Time and the DS beta rules. They are cheap, and can deep strike with autoguns, if they feel so inclined. Teleporting in a blob next to a reroll 1 aura and popping Veterans of the long war on them is a neat enough trick to add to the arsenal of options. Minimum sized squads are also quite attractive, imho.

Don't forget that we can use cultists, who are less hurt by the changes to Warp Time and the DS beta rules. They are cheap, and can deep strike with autoguns, if they feel so inclined. Teleporting in a blob next to a reroll 1 aura and popping Veterans of the long war on them is a neat enough trick to add to the arsenal of options. Minimum sized squads are also quite attractive, imho.

It is a neat trick, but pales in comparison to the utter savagery that 20 Rubricae or 10 Scarabs unleash when they open fire using Prescience, a reroll aura, and Vets. Save that stuff for the dust bunnies.

Min Cultists are awesome for backfield camping, but they lack an Invuln save, which is what's kept me from using them so far. My current army has a minimum 5++ on EVERYONE. However, they can certainly work for other folks and remain a good option to at least consider. It might also be interesting to use one big unit as a screen, then teleport them away with the Crystal and countercharge with stuff we have behind them. Might be fun.

I hear this a lot about big Rubrcae units and have been considering a 20 man Rubric or 10 man SOT. Not that they need it after all that but a vortex beast offering a +1 on Str to a 10 man SOT would be fun. Sorry, I need to keep it on topic.

I hear this a lot about big Rubrcae units and have been considering a 20 man Rubric or 10 man SOT. Not that they need it after all that but a vortex beast offering a +1 on Str to a 10 man SOT would be fun. Sorry, I need to keep it on topic.

In my Rubric heavy list I often take 40-50 some odd rubrics, only a couple flamers due to how crazy expensive they are but I often take a Mutalith, Maulerfiend, and Defiler. It allows you to have a kind of "buddy system" for Rubrics.  Rubrics hate melee, defilers and maulers and mutaliths are each good in melee (mutaliths less so but still capable) Helbrutes can also work in this situation but I prefer daemon engines.  Daemon princes also work with wings to fly over and dig out the unit. 

OR dark matter crystal them, pelt the unit with shells, then charge it with the "buddy" engines / prince. 

Scarab occult in theory would also work the same way, but you really need both your buffs on that unit to make the most of them as every Multi-Damage weapon on the table will be pointed at them. 

Archived