Nurglings

McElMcNinja

Experience talking, I don't have any idea since I don't play them.

On statistics I think they need to be at least 5 to hold anything enough to be usefull, but at this cost, I prefer to bring more cultists for more Poxwalkers reinforcement and fire sustain.

Still stats wisely they looks best against 1 dmg weapon units (to not lose 5+++), hordes (to hold the more figs at once) and full melee units (wich wont have overwatch fire), and transports.

Edited by Blasphem

From experience: 7 to withstand 1 turn of an average 1000 points of shooting, as long as it does not include overcharged Plasma.

Here’s what I mean; I’ve played a lot of games with 7 Nurglings. Usually I deploy them right up front resulting in my opponent shooting everything at them first. From my experience, against an opposing 1000 point list (or like half of a 2000 point list), it takes about 1 round of shooting everything at the Nurglings to take them all out. This includes an average mix of small arms (e.g. Bolters) and heavy weapons (e.g. Lascannons), and takes into account misses, rare fails to wound, invul saves, DR (for non multi wound weapons) and their 28 total wounds.

However, if my opponent uses Overcharged Plasma in any significant amount (e.g. a full squad Hellblasters), then Nurglings go down way faster because of the volume of fire and being unable to use DR.

Three is fine if you use multiple units. Use them to grab objectives early on as well as tie up some key units. I had one unit tie up a Redemptor for three turns, razorbacks for several turns.

They get to move and charge after set up so you will be able to get first turn charges so getting shot turn one is less likely because you'll be in combat. Of course the unit you've charged can withdraw so you can be shot by other things, but the unit you were trying to tie up has lost a round of shooting.

• 2 weeks later...

They are cheap enough that you can fill a

Battalion along with 2x poxbringers for a

Juicy 3 CP, fantastic board control, and the pox

Bringers can take fleshy abundance to keep your nurgle daemon engines or whatever alive!

Excuse my daemonic ignorance, but is a Poxbringer a Sorc? And what is the minimum points that a Nurgle Daemon Battalion would be?

Let’s say I wanted to get a heal on Mortarion and did not want to spend that much.... what’s the best/ cheap detachment to use? Or are burgling so cheap that it’s just best to get them?

You can make a Nurgle Brigade very easily with their cheap units. It is more of a fun list though compared to some of the really vicious stuff that is out there.

So... If I'm trying to add some spice to my Death Guard lists, you wouldn't suggest this route?

292 points gets you a Battalion of 3 Nurglings, Poxbringer (old herald of Nurgle, which yes, is a Sorcerer), and a Sloppity Bilepiper. An extra 10 points to swap Bilepiper for another Herald.

I don't really like these cartoony looking dudes with names like Farticus droopy pants or whatever. Is Sloppity  cheaper than a Poxbringer? Does he have a psychic power?

Not sure about points (codex is in the mail) but the Bilepiper does NOT have Psyker powers. In exchange, he gives +1 Attack to GUOs and Nurglings, allows them to run and charge the same turn, let's all Nurgle Daemons within 6" roll 2D6 for Morale (discarding he highest value), and enemies who fail morale lose one more model than they usually would. He's garbage in CC, though.

10 points cheaper than a herald and without psychic powers but as Dusk Raider says, gives benefits to Nurglings

He is pretty much useless, as your GUO should be deep striking, and your nurglings should be completely spread all over the board holding the different objectives. At what point would Sloppity's tiny aura ever touch more than one unit? How many turns would it take him to march there? Useless! Also, nurgling attacks are negligible. +1 attack is nothing for a str 2 model. I guess if you really wanted to field 3 GUO and march them up the board you would want him, but your opponent would avoid CC with them like the plague!

I really did not want to buy the start collecting box, but I'm even looking at those drones as a cheap annoyance factor.

What I really wanted was the extra 3CP, cheap Obsec, and the infiltration part is very good.... I know they don't live through much, but I want to see fleshy abundance in action with Plague burst crawlers/DP's/Bloat drones, etc. 

I actually had my Nurglings hold off a huge Tyranid advance last game I played. They didn't really kill much, but they were a pain to remove for him and by the time he did, everything else was there to wipe out his units.

Nurglings can be quite a nuisance! Don’t forget that they can act normally after their scout/infiltrate deployment. I’ve used them to pen my opponents in their deployment, and if they are close enough to the edge of the deployment and you get first turn you can get a reliable charge off to tie up a couple units right away.

I would stay away from the sloppity bilepiper. His rules are a little awkward IMO.

The Spoilpox is better, especially since I intend to focus on Plaguebearers, but it's foolish to say the Piper isn't good, even if just for the Morale buff / debuff on the enemy. Remember, Daemons are (unfortunately) no longer Fearless or immune to Morale.