XXth AL Strike Force Idea 2.5k CotH

zimmthereaper

I have been looking at building an AL list utilizing CotH (Because....Reasons) and was looking for advice. 

Rite of War - CotH

HQ (310 pts)

Armillius Dynat (200 pts)

Legion Centurion (110 pts)

- Consul Upgrade to Saboteur

- Plasma Pistol

Elites (570 pts)

Reward of Treason (330 pts)

- Dark Fury Assault Squad x 10

- Melta Bombs on Chooser of the Slain

Veteran Tactical Squad 10 Man Squad (240 pts)

- Melta Bombs

- Dedicated Transport - Rhino Armored Carrier 

- 1x Heavy Bolter W/ Suspension Web

- Marksman Special Rule

Troops (585 pts)

Tactical Squad, 10 Man Squad (190 pts)

- Artificer, Power Dagger, Power Fist on Sergeant

- Dedicated Transport - Rhino Armored Carrier w/ Dozer Blades

- Dedicated Transport - Rhino Armored Carrier w/ Dozer Blades

- Dedicated Transport - Rhino Armored Carrier w/ Dozer Blades

Fast Attack (70 pts)

Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron, 1 Vehicle (70 pts)

- Muti-Melta

-Hunter killer Missile

Heavy Support (965 pts)

Deathstorm Drop Pod (115 pts)

- Drop Pod Assault Upgrade

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought (425 Pts)

- Grav-Flux Bombard

- Heavy Flamers

- Phosphex Discharger

- Armored Ceremite

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought (425 Pts)

- Grav-Flux Bombard

- Heavy Flamers

- Phosphex Discharger

- Armored Ceremite

Total 2500 pts

The idea behind the list is an in your face early list.

Likely taking infiltration as the mutable tactic.

Baseline Strategy

Set up

- Infiltrate Tactical Squads

- Infiltrate Dark Furies with Librarian in the mid-field

- Infiltrate Dynat 

- Outflank or Infiltrate Vets Situationally

- Infiltrate / Deepstrike (if different mutable tactic) the Sabetour

- Deepstrike 3 drop pods and Javelin

Turn One

- Dreadnoughts Come in, Focusing Fire on Screens Protecting Armor

- Tac Squads Push the Line Forward

- Furies Camp Mid-field

Turn 2 (Assuming Reserves behave)

- Javelin and Dreadnoughts burn their armor

- Vets and Deathstorm come to support whichever flank the Tacs are going after.

- Sabetour helps try to pick of priority targets

Unit Explanations (on the less traditional additions in the Army)

- Librarian - Primarily to buff the Furies 

- Furies - I absolutely love the models and wanted to build a list that could support them.

- Death Storm Drop pod - to get to 3 drop pods so both dreadnoughts can make an appearance turn one

- Javelin - Had points to burn, I've seen them work well

Weaknesses I can see immediately

- Almost no answer to fliers.... strike that no answer to fliers

- Outside of bringing the Master of the Legion and the Buff to the Saboteur, Dynat is a bit of a waste

Ultimately I'm looking if I'm making any egregious mistakes or overlooking a good alternate unit. I am hoping this list will be strong but not cheesy.

Thank you for your time.

Zimm

Edit- definitely forgot CotH means you can only have one Consul, so removed the Librarian and adjusted the list

Edited by zimmthereaper

• 3 weeks later...

OK even from a cursory glance there's lots to cover off there - which incidentally I've only picked up because I'm in the midst of putting together a 3k coils list that's led by Dynat so here goes...

HQs

Both fine choices, Saboteur strikes me as a suicide option given he has zero suitability and he's there to get a sweet bonus for hurting armour in the enemy deployment zone. As a follow up to that, he has to start off the board so no infiltrating which does however open up outflank and gives you a guarantee of getting within the deployment zone turn 2 and having an auto pen at AP1. Coming back to Dynat, he isn't being used to his full potential in this list, Yes he's providing the leviathans with a hilarious amount of anti-tank buffing but the rest of his abilities are seemingly wasted. He can deepstrike 1 unit to begin with, and they get to re-roll the scatter so accuracy is improved (or if you have nunciovoxs on the tac squads they won't scatter at all. He can give 1 unit BS5 shooting per turn or if he's likely to get charged he can lob a phosphex bomb and those things really ruin everyone's day. And as a 4W Praetor he can throw down in combat with his weapons being the job for all occasions. I'd seriously look at a squad to boost him, either combat hitters to get him in where he can do damage or some heavy firepower - my current options being a Sekhmet Cabal or a plas support squad.

Elites

Dark Furies don't really appeal to me at all but if you're building this list to include them then far be it for me to gainsay you. My one issue with the veterans is you need to decide what they're function is going to be as right now they're jack of all trades master of none. If you want them to lay some smackdown on armour give them meltaguns and machine killers. If you want them to be infantry butchers stick with marksman and stock up another heavy bolter. Or if, like me, you like to cover all bases, take missile launchers and marksman so that always hitting on 4 frag missile racks up a few bodies or your Krak's potentially being bumped to AP2 (or AP1 if they're up in the deployment zone ala Dynat) you're set fair.

Troops

Do what they say on the tin just don't expect massive bang for this buck. Potentially swapping out a tactical squad for either breachers or an assault squad will add a bit more punch but I can 100% see why you're keeping them cheap due to the 3 troop requirement.

Fast Attack

Javelins are pretty good, can be aggressive with it as needed. Only downside being it doesn't benefit from Dynat's boost but still a solid choice

Heavy Support

Leviathans are awesome so with 2 both in pods you're already on the up and up. I'd drop 1 of the grav bombards and take a melta lance so straight away you have 1 that's going to trash armour (or it should, pens explode on a 4+ with Dynat's bonus) whilst the other should be pointed directly at the hardest hitting infantry unit your opponent has and unload the grav and phosphex at it - maybe consider upgrading it's claw to a drill so that it can still spank armour if required. One point based on your strat for these guys "focusing fire on screens protecting armour" - screw that straight off the bat, kill the armour the second you land because these things are going to attract more or less all the firepower in the enemy army, get your points worth out of them before they die. Deathstorm being there to guarantee your leviathans land turn 1 is fine. 

• 1 month later...

After advice both from people on this forum and my more experienced 30k buddies, I've retooled the list some. Here's where my list stands now. I was hoping to get any further advice ya'll might have.

+++ Alpha Legion 2.5k CotH (Warhammer 30,000 - The Horus Heresy) [2500pts] +++

++ Armies of Dark Compliance (Legiones Astartes: Age of Darkness Army List) [2500pts] ++

+ HQ +

Armillus Dynat [200pts]: Artificer Armour

Damocles Command Rhino [105pts]: Dozer Blade

Saboteur [105pts]: Artificer Armour, Bolt Pistol, Chainsword or Combat Blade, On Foot
. Combi-weapon: Meltagun
. Consul: Saboteur

+ Troops +

Tactical Squad, Legion [215pts]: 9x Tactical Space Marines, Legion
. Additional Wargear: Additional Chainswords/Combat Blades, Bolters
. Rhino Armoured Carrier, Legion: Dozer Blade
. Tactical Sergeant, Legion: Artificer Armour, Bolter, Power Dagger, Power Fist

+ Elites +

Contemptor-Cortus Class Dreadnought Talon [260pts]
. Cortus Dreadnought: Dreadnought Drop Pod, Legion
. . Dreadnought Chainfist: Twin-linked Bolter
. . Dreadnought Close Combat Weapon: Meltagun

The Rewards of Treason [300pts]
. Khenetai Blade Occult Cabal: Khenetai Blade x 8
. . Khenetai Blademaster
. . . Artificer Armour, Melta Bombs
. . . . Biomancy
or

The Rewards of Treason [300pts]
. Dark Fury Assault Squad: 8x Dark Fury
. . Chooser of the Slain: Melta Bombs

+ Fast Attack +

Javelin Attack Speeder Squadron, Legion [65pts]
. Javelin Attack Speeder, Legion: Multi-melta, Twin-linked Cyclone missile launcher

+ Heavy Support +

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon [410pts]: Dreadnought Drop Pod, Legion
. Leviathan Siege Dreadnought: Armoured Ceramite, Heavy Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Leviathan Siege Claw, Leviathan Siege Drill, Phosphex Discharger

Leviathan Siege Dreadnought Talon [410pts]: Dreadnought Drop Pod, Legion
. Leviathan Siege Dreadnought: Armoured Ceramite, Heavy Flamer, Heavy Flamer, Leviathan Siege Claw, Leviathan Siege Drill, Phosphex Discharger

+ Allegiance +
.  XX: Alpha Legion: Infiltrate

Rite of War: The Coils of the Hydra
. Categories: Allegiance

Baseline Strategy

Set up

- Infiltrate Tactical Squads

- Infiltrate Dark Furies in the mid-field / Infiltrate Dynat + khenetai + CMD Rhino

- Infiltrate / Deepstrike (if different mutable tactic) the Sabetour

- Deepstrike 3 drop pods and Javelin

Turn One

- Both Leviathans Come in, Pop Phosphex, Focusing Fire on Screens Protecting Armor

- Tac Squads Push the Line Forward

- Furies / Dynat and his squad Camp Mid-field 

Turn 2 (Assuming Reserves behave)

- Javelin and Leviathans burn their armor

- Contemptor drops in to support either the Tacs or Leviathans

- Sabetour helps try to pick off priority targets (Auto hit into something hard to kill: Flyer, Spartan, ETC.) and pop's his combi melta (if he dies he's done his job, if he lives kudos to him)

Unit Explanations (on the less traditional additions in the Army)

- Dark Fury / Khenetai Occult Blade - I absolutely love the models and wanted to build a list that could support either of them.

- CMD Rhino - Precision Deepstrike for all the Leviathans, and allows me to adjust the mutable tactic if I want to. (also allows more reserve control, which isn't a game breaker but is certainly nice)

- Cortus Contemptor - Baby Dread for clean up duty

Weaknesses I can see immediately

- Still no Answer to Flyers (unless Sabetour comes in after and auto hits)

- Outside of bringing the Master of the Legion and the Buff to the Saboteur, Leviathans, and Cortus, Dynat is a bit of a waste (Specifically in the Dark Furies version of the list)

- Will have some trouble dealing with Terminator Deathstars

Additional Note

I made a second variant of the list trading one leviathan for a 2nd contemptor and a 5 man Vet squad with Marksman Combi Plasma (they can ride with dynat if I bring Dark Furys or Deep Strike using Dynat's special rules if I give him the Khenetai Guards). My biggest issue is then I have one Leviathan coming down meaning easier priority of fire for enemy.

I guess I'm still pretty fluid on my list, so any advice you may have would be greatly appreciated.