Plaguebearers Screen

Kilofix

I realize this is the DG forum and not the Daemons forum but it felt more apt to post here being mostly about Nurgle.

From the Daemons Codex:

Take a max size Plaguebearers unit (30 models with -1 to hit).

Follow up with Spoilpox (+2” to move).

Follow up with a killy Daemon Prince with the Horn Relic (4+ add Plaguebearers on kill) and Miasma of Pestilence.

Optionally follow up with Epidemius.

Add maybe 2 small Nurgling squads for Battalion.

What you’ll get is a -2 to hit, 5++,5+++ and eventually T5 horde for a screen.

Then from DG Codex:

Add PoxWalkers.

Optionally add Blightbringer, Tallyman, or Typhus.

Add whatever “Hammer” you would like to use (I like Deep Striking Terminators).

Use Cloud of Flies on the Poxwalkers. Use Dead Walking when you get into contact.

Tau and IG will hardly be able to hit you at all. Plasma will overheat on 1-3. And what does get killed eventually will turn into Pox.

The whole setup (without your “Hammer” of choice) only costs about 750 leaving you plenty in a 1500-2000 game to add stuff.

Edit: I tried this with a GUO but he ends up getting focused on because the Plaguebearers are so hard to kill. So, I think it works best with either a Deep Striking “Hammer” or units that have long range like Plagueburst or Predators.

Edited by Kilofix

Indeed. Plaguebringers and Poxwalkers are two greatly tough units! Once you combine them with some supports they are awesome. (And they are damn cheap!)

Add some Chaos Cultists to it and you have the base of the tri-faction (CSM/CD/DG) Nurgle army I am currently building. ;)

Im planning on using a patrol detatchment of nurgle daemons (the starter box) which will be the shield for my death guard rather than poxwalkers

For some reason typhus leading every deathguard army (that incidentally might not actually contain any plague marines!!) just doesnt sit well with me.

Its a bit like back in 2nd edition where every space wolf army had ragnar blackmane, njal stormcaller and ulrik the slayer. In those days you never saw the generic wolf lord/ captain or chaplain unless you were one of those weirdos who invented their own chapter.

Sorry For getting on my soap box!

Plaguebearers are much killier than Poxwalkers since they don't need an expensive character following them around. While I usually have my Poxwalkers last longer in a game, my Plaguebearers tend to drag down much larger prey on average. Also with Epidemius... remember, his Tally is board-wide now, not just an aura so you can sit him in a building somewhere out of sight and let his gifts pile up. For insurance I'll usually place a ranged Plague Marine squad with him as something of a babysitter / bodyguard unit.