Your hopes for White Scars in FW's Malevolence

b1soul

Looks like the WS will be introduced in FW's Malevolence.

The latest intel is that...

Two WS special characters, likely one Chogorian and one Terran. The Chogorian one might be their First Captain (most renowned Khan I suppose)

Some moderate rules updates since Retribution.

Jaghatai Khan will of course be getting rules, but while Sang was mentioned to be a stronger melee primarch...no word on Jaghatai. He may have a jetbike option.

Of course, WS fluff galore.

Interestingly enough the WS' campaign will be Chondax, not Prospero II or the Path of Heaven events.

What are you guys looking forward to...how do you hope FW handles the WS?

Off the top of my head...

I'm crossing my fingers for Jubal Khan as the Chogorian WS character.

Hope Khan's rules don't pale in comparison to Sang's.

Also, hope the FW team do a good job of incorporating Chondax into the HH. As far as I know, Chondax was a mop-up campaign against Ork survivors of Ullanor. There were some AL ambushes, but nothing on a significant scale.

Edited by b1soul

Hopes: 

The rules due justice to the Jaghatai khan, specifically the unknown quantity and speed he presented in one and one combat, I,E mechanics that make him extremely hard to hit, and extremely fast initiative wise, but not necessary the hardest hitting, He famously said he could beat Fulgrim in a duel because he was simply an unknown quantity, rumor has it that he gets his wish on Terra and Duels Daemon Fulgrim I assume in a Retcon Lionsgate space port battle. 

Sagyar mazan squads: Hopefully combining the Speed and fluidly of palatine blades squads with the fury of the foresworn. 

Personally, I think Sanguinius is going to be one of the most expensive Primarchs, so the Khan isn't going to be as hard-hitting as him. What we should see, however, is him being incredibly mobile, even "on foot". He might not be able to go toe-to-toe against some Primarchs, but he should be able to pick and choose where he does fight, and get super-Hammer-of-Wrath when he charges, only to fall back and hit again from another direction.

Based on his performance against Mort, the Khan seems to be a bit of a glass canon.

To use game parlance, he's definitely not a tank or bruiser. He's about speed and burst damage.

The primarchs most like him in combat is probably Fulgrim and perhaps (less so) the Lion.

I'm looking forward to how they will handle dreadnought with the Scars, I think it'd be cool to have their use limited in some way, and maybe have a sort of special dreadnought type to represent a guy who tolerates being stuck in one so that he has more opportunities to smash traitors. I know they'll be getting only two special units, but hey, the Raven Guard ended up getting two special units and the Darkwing, so who knows what may happen.

Also hoping they finally do jetbike/outrider bodies in a different mk, having a White Scar force in predominantly mkiv doesn't sit well with me.

I hope they talk to Chris Wraight. A lot. He nailed the White Scars for me.

I kinda hope the Khan is a full on glass cannon - dishing out extreme damage but relatively fragile for a primarch. I think if you use Fulgrim for a baseline and do some tweaking for some individuality, you wouldn’t be far off.

The jetbike, if it happens, will be mindblowing.

Aye...high initiative, large number of attacks, high weapon skill.

That could be balanced by a weaker invuln save, lighter armour, perhaps even lower toughness?

Yeah, pretty much. I think he might even be a 3+ armour save. They’ve got to tread carefully, though, it’ll be too easy to just make him Fulgrim.

That’s the upside of the jetbike option, I guess - nobody else has a jetbike.

I’m also really hoping for a new jetbike, not Legion specific, just a new MK with a MKII rider (pilot?). Nothing wrong with what we have, but I like the fluff of the Scars having older equipment because they’re the outriders. And more variety is good.

Oh, and I would love for the characters to be Yesugei and Shiban Khan......initially. There are far too many good characters in just two novels to leave it at two

Whatever happens, it’s going to be very hard for me to resist building a Path of Heaven based jetbike army.

Edited by Corswain

I'm wondering how FW could have really fluffy Khan rules without making him very similar to Fulgrim. Regarding Yesugei, according to reports he won't be in Malevolence, but may show up later.

@Brother Pheidias

Your at the right place to start wish-listing. Exciting times to be a big fan of HH WS

Edited by b1soul

I can image other mechanics to avoid "copy Fulgrim" like....

Super rending (like on a 3+) Hammer of Wraith mechanics if he ends a charge in base to base contact with you (to represent the flurry of blows that about to rain down on you if you pick a fight with the great khan)...

Maybe some sort of parrying mechanic to represent his impressive skill with a blade and to make up for less protective armor...

I hope no jetbike. It would be jarring when all the others are essentially on foot (which also tends to look better imo). Also, in the spirit of 'Legions are more than their commonest tropes' it'd be nice to have the Scars be more than just 'the bike guys', which having the only biker Primarch would help perpetuate.

I hope no jetbike. It would be jarring when all the others are essentially on foot (which also tends to look better imo). Also, in the spirit of 'Legions are more than their commonest tropes' it'd be nice to have the Scars be more than just 'the bike guys', which having the only biker Primarch would help perpetuate.

I think the option of him taking a jetbike was mentioned, so you won’t have to use it. But yeah I’d be fine with him not having one, he’s never shown using it in the novels and in my head I don’t really associate him with a jetbike.

Maybe some sort of parrying mechanic to represent his impressive skill with a blade and to make up for less protective armor...

Like Fulgrim? ;)

That’s the problem - it’s a great idea and it fits perfectly with his fluff....but Fulgrim’s already got it. I don’t envy the rules writers but I’m really looking forward to what they come up with.

Sadly, WS are the biker guys. They love the speed and are horsemen raiders at heart. However anyone who views them as just this is missing out, the fluff makes them a lot more complex ;)

Jaghatai on a bike will be AWESOME and probably not too jarring next to Sanguinius who will have friggin' WINGS!

Honestly, when they said "The Khan may have an option to ride a jet bike" that was the moment I realised all I ever wanted was a Primarch model riding into battle on a Jetbike...

Model wise I hope it will happen, like I really wish to all the gods (chaos and otherwise) to let it happen - but unless the Khan only has rules for him to be on a jet bike then I can't see it happening. So no doubt we'll see a similar state to Kor'sarro Khan, where he has optional rules to ride a bike but the model is on foot, and you have to convert him to ride a bike...

I heard a rumor that due to the wording of the Ravenwing Rite of War, there's a possiblity that the Lion will also come with a bike. Strangely fitting considering he supposedly invented the "fast attack" marine rite of war before it became a specialty of the White Scars legion.

For me, I don't think any of the primarchs can be called glass cannons but I agree that he should be somewhat similar to Fulgrim in the sense of having lots of attacks at insane WS and Initiative. How to differentiate is another matter. Probably by Hit and Run for the Khan, which is quite fluffy to their philosophy of always pulling back to attack again at a better angle or direction. In the duel with Mortarion, Khan was running circles around Mortarion but as expected, Mortarion punched harder then Jagatai's light cuts.

For special units, the only thing I can come up that is unique is the obligatory terminator honor guard, the Keshig, for Jagatai. Probably Tartaros in order to keep up with their Primarch, their job is not so much to protect the Khan, but to ensure the Khan reaches his target without obstruction aka tarpits.

Lancer dickbikes, or rather Guan Dao wielding Jetbike marines would be nice similar to the recent Custodes ones.

@Kaspar_Hawser

Great input...but what are "lancer dickbikes"?

LOL, apologies, am still stuck to the admittedly old meme that Space Marine Legion jetbikes look like a giant phallus.

What I meant was White Scars Space Marines riding Jetbikes, but instead of lances, use Guan Dao's instead, the long bladed knife attached to a polearm, similar to what the Three Kingdoms hero Guan Yu (for whom the weapon is named but not substantiated in history).

Either that or simple halberds used in many cultures. My point is, not a pointed lance, but a curved blade polearm of some sort. Japanese version would be naginata.

As an additional special rule, maybe additional Hammer of Wrath although I hate that rule which never did anything for me EVER. Or give the Hammer of Wrath attack an AP value of some sort, then we're talking.