Where does a new player start?

Stark

N00b question but I ask seriously: Is that even allowed by the game rules?

Sure, you and your opponent can agree to whatever game set up you want beforehand. The key word there is "agree" - in this instance it doesn't sound like anything was agreed to at all and a supposed "friend" decided to cheat on all fronts to trounce someone else in the guise of "doing right by them", which it isn't in the slightest. Regardless of anything else, it's incredibly immature to do that to someone.

Warpmiss, those kinds of lopsided odds can make for interesting games, and back when I was teaching people to play, I used to have my new opponent roll with 1.5-2 times my points so that they had enough time to learn while I was maneuvering.

I see, it does make sense considering there are different types of games that can be played. A narrative one with guardsmen vs tyranids, like Halandaar suggested, for example could be really cool. But everyone has to be in agreement!

I haven't read the whole thread, but sorry to hear about your experience vs the nids! Sounds like you need to find some better people to introduce you to the game. I had a rough time starting out against the same type of people you are describing and almost quit until I found some more casual gamers. Does your store have a Facebook group you could post in asking for help with getting started?

Also, sounds like the nids player had to cheat a lot to make sure he didn't lose to you!

I haven't read the whole thread, but sorry to hear about your experience vs the nids! Sounds like you need to find some better people to introduce you to the game. I had a rough time starting out against the same type of people you are describing and almost quit until I found some more casual gamers. Does your store have a Facebook group you could post in asking for help with getting started?

I started the thread as a journey log: getting into the game, trying to select an army, etc. 

Yea, they weren't great beginning games, but I learned from them. I'll post more as I play more (maybe get a few pics too).

The shop has a Fb page, so I may drop a note there as you suggested.

I'm not going to let a jammed bolter stop me (it still works fine as a club). :wink:

If you're struggling with tactics and what armies do, I recommend checking this out:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics(8E)

Its a lot of reading, but it covers basic tactics and if you scroll aaaaaaaall the way down it has very detailed overviews of all of the different armies. Should help with deciding where you want to take your army and how to deal with other people's. While a lot of the content of the site I find less than great, this stuff is really handy.

For getting to know other armies besides Space Marines, your local store might have an open copy of the other Codex books to thumb through.

And please promise that if you ever introduce a new player to the game that you won’t pull that nonsense on anyone else. An experienced player stomping a noob in such an underhand way was a waste of his time as well as yours. You should point him to this thread to see what people think of his approach to easing people into the game.

Definitely look up your store’s Facebook group. There’s often people on mine looking for a game.

If you're struggling with tactics and what armies do, I recommend checking this out:

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Warhammer_40,000/Tactics(8E)

Its a lot of reading, but it covers basic tactics and if you scroll aaaaaaaall the way down it has very detailed overviews of all of the different armies. Should help with deciding where you want to take your army and how to deal with other people's. While a lot of the content of the site I find less than great, this stuff is really handy.

Yea, homework! :yucky:  I'm joking - tactical research never hurts. Thank you!

That article is rather outdated, however. Keep that in mind.

As long as the basics are sound - or as long as there's something I can get out of it, right? :thumbsup:

For getting to know other armies besides Space Marines, your local store might have an open copy of the other Codex books to thumb through.

And please promise that if you ever introduce a new player to the game that you won’t pull that nonsense on anyone else. An experienced player stomping a noob in such an underhand way was a waste of his time as well as yours. You should point him to this thread to see what people think of his approach to easing people into the game.

Definitely look up your store’s Facebook group. There’s often people on mine looking for a game.

May the Emperor of All Mankind rise from the Golden Throne™ and give me an Exterminatus-Wedgy if I ever mistreat another player in such a way. :eek: 

If his intention was to increase my determination in learning the game and playing it well, in that he succeeded. I'll let my army enlighten him to my thoughts on his 'approach'. :wink:

I checked in on the shop's Fb group, and I'm scheduling a few games beginning next month - I trust I'll have a few squads of my own to play with by then. 

Thank you all for your support. I'll be mentioning the B&C to anyone I discuss the game with.