Mech guard on baneblades only

TheUbikator

So, I've been brainstorming with a friend of mine yesterday and we've come up pretty funny 2000 points "no more friends" list.

Basically, we are thinking on deploying 3 Baneblades (one standard and two stormlords) in super heavy detachment (vallhalan if we'll want to be extra dickish), and battalion detachment with 6 infantry squads with plasma, sws with plasma using armaggeddon or tallarn doctrine. Anyone here tried to do something similar? Do you guys think it will work?

It could work, and would be pretty funny, but you'd need at least a couple infantry squads up front to stop alpha strike charges/anti tank. And maybe some Primaris Pyskers to give one of the Banblades -1 to hit. And the Shadowsword is the superior Banblades variant, it's the only one (apart from the transport ones) where two Leman Russes wouldn't be better. Edited by Private Jenkins

All it will take is someone having an ability to ignore you over watch and your tanks will be taking some damage in CC. That is a lot of points locked into 3 models

Here's the thing. In my lgs (or more like local gaming pub), rarely someone tries to deny overwatch (with spells) and chaos daemon raptors won't do as much. And of course, there is always defensive gunners and mordian regimental doctrine on super heavies.

I just wonder if someone did something like that because it sounds amazingly stupid/hilarious and to be honest I want to try it more and more.   

Personally I would recommend taking Stormlord and 2 Hellhammers (all 3 with HB+Las sponsons). This combo can be totally nuts especially against CC-oriented armies that'll have to go up and close. Put some mortar teams into a Stormlord and unleash hell :). And do not forget about that 2+ to-hit in melee stratagem!

Regimental doctrines don’t work on Superheavies. They can take regimental tank orders but that requires a tank commander.

Taking 4x Lascannon with twin-heavy flamer sponsons 9 adamantium track attacks would make your opponent think twice about assaulting your tank. Remember you can fire your twin-heavy bolters and twin-heavy flamers at targets within 1” of you.

A Supreme Command Detachment seems to be the best use this, use the elite slot for a tech-priest to repair them.

***Just looked at detachments again, Lord of War detachment is better with a cheap guard brigade as deepstrike fodder with the tech-priest***

Edited by CCE1981

Regimental doctrines don’t work on Superheavies. They can take regimental tank orders but that requires a tank commander.

Taking 4x Lascannon with twin-heavy flamer sponsons 9 adamantium track attacks would make your opponent think twice about assaulting your tank. Remember you can fire your twin-heavy bolters and twin-heavy flamers at targets within 1” of you.

A Supreme Command Detachment seems to be the best use this, use the elite slot for a tech-priest to repair them.

***Just looked at detachments again, Lord of War detachment is better with a cheap guard brigade as deepstrike fodder with the tech-priest***

Nope, they work. Youre just not allowed to take a super heavy auxilliary detachment if you want to benefit from the doctrines. If they didnt work, Tallarn wouldnt have to have an extra rule that just affects super heavies. ;)

As to tank commanders, they dont work on super heavies. You can only order friendly tanks with the Leman Russ keyword (or something to that effect anyway... point is, not even chimera chassis vehicles get tank orders, never mind super heavies).