Upside down bolter on the grey hunter upgrade pack 2

Huggtand

Why are the front of the bolter/bolt pistols upside down in the second upgrade pack

https://www.forgeworld.co.uk/en-CA/Space-Wolves-Legion-Grey-Slayers-Upgrade-Pack-2-2018

Why has nobody caught this in the quality control? 

Compare this to resent miniatures like the custodes shield-captain or the necromunda stuff and I starting to wonder if it's only the wolves where choddy sculpting and bad quality appears.

Looks like a hand stop. So probably a deliberate decision to make them compact assault bolters for mostly one-handing, otherwise putting the non-firing hand between the mag and stop. LIke, a deliberate nod to the old True Grit rule. Iron sights are stupid on bolters anyway.

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with the fact that I thought those 'sticky-up' bits by the barrel were the iron sights of the weapon, for manual aiming (of a bolter). So how is that supposed to work when it's underneath the body of the gun, and the upgrade kit has no helmets to provide camera feeds through the eye lenses? It is literally the bolter asset chapped in half and rotated by 180 degrees, down to the flat bit underneath the barrel. I literally held my hand over the grip, the hand, and the ammo feed and said to myself "it's upside down".

My head hurts...

:wacko.:

Looks like a hand stop. So probably a deliberate decision to make them compact assault bolters for mostly one-handing, otherwise putting the non-firing hand between the mag and stop. LIke, a deliberate nod to the old True Grit rule. Iron sights are stupid on bolters anyway.

If they wanted a hand guard with stop why not model a handguard with stop?

I like the idé of a compact assault bolter but anybody who has seen a normal bolter will just see that the front on these are upside down :teehee:  

If it wasn't an error, it's just such an odd design decision. Seeing as how every other marine typically holds the weapon with two hands, you'd think there would be a benefit to having a grip on the bottom. Instead they have this super clunky underside, and what appears to be a backwards pistol grip.

If they wanted a hand guard with stop why not model a handguard with stop?

I like the idé of a compact assault bolter but anybody who has seen a normal bolter will just see that the front on these are upside down :teehee:  

I mean, they kind of did, if it's a hand stop in this style. Or this one. I'm not going to argue your point that the execution is still pretty odd, because hand stops usually aren't positioned like that. They can be, but it's definitely not normal. And it was lazy as hell to copy, flip and paste the CAD of the "sight" to do this. I'm just trying to argue that it strongly looks like it was a deliberate design choice, not a mistake. 

It's alright, their axes still use wooden handles too

Yeah... another odd choice. Gotta leave it to our imaginations. Maybe the axes are the heartwood of some kind of insane Fenrisian tree and are actually incredibly strong. Or they're just molded to look like wood, or there's a metal core in the handle. 

Yeah its a screw up, the rear iron sight is still on the top and the bayonet lug is upside down too...

Plus what possible use is a hand stop on a bolter intended to be fired one handed anyway? 

A legion so special

That mars issued them with padded helmets and upside down dummy bolters

Yeah its a screw up, the rear iron sight is still on the top and the bayonet lug is upside down too...

Plus what possible use is a hand stop on a bolter intended to be fired one handed anyway?

Word. The upside down bayonet lug really nails it. I thought us IWs had it bad with those random stars, but between the padded helmets and upside down bolters it feels like somebody is trolling the SWs players hard.

There's a rumor that the sculptor quit.  If true, I'd feel bad about that.  The Varagyr's heads didn't all look like they were placed logically in that armor, but I thought they were well sculpted, and would've liked that guy to do heads for the White Scars.  There've been other models that looked fine except for oversized heads, like that Blood Ravens guy or the new shield-captain.

But yeah, these bolters and the Varagyr/praetor's issues seem rushed.  Which is probably what happened.

Maybe FW is just trolling us? I hope.....

I’m sure now that it’s been pointed out it’ll be fixed, it’s not like it’s a unique bit. They’ll probably just use ones out of other kits.

There's a rumor that the sculptor quit.  If true, I'd feel bad about that.  The Varagyr's heads didn't all look like they were placed logically in that armor, but I thought they were well sculpted, and would've liked that guy to do heads for the White Scars.  There've been other models that looked fine except for oversized heads, like that Blood Ravens guy or the new shield-captain.

But yeah, these bolters and the Varagyr/praetor's issues seem rushed.  Which is probably what happened.

That would be bad news. There are elements that is nice in the wolves range so it was not totally bad.

I have no problem with new sculptors that is not fully learned. We all have to start from scratch. But that where quality control comes in to the picture so stuff like this get stopped early and a new sculptor can learn and improve.

If the rumor is true and he quit, I wonder if he quit after the release or before and had to finish the SW stuff first. I don't know how GW and UK quitting policies work, but I do know some places require you to finish a project before you are released. This often causes rapid finish of a project with shoddy quality.

If he quit after and due to the SW stuff, the blame isn't on him alone but QA also. Either way I hope him the best.

ooooooooooohhhhhhh my throne that is hilarious, it's literally just flipped. I really don't understand the rational there. Man I feel bad for Wolf players :/ Aside from Russ, FW did some really poor design work with your line

Let's just hope that we (SWs) took the brute of this and FW will do the other legions justice.

Edited by Jarl Caldersson

I have no idea if the sculptor quit but I spoke with him in august and he had finished all Varagyr and grey slayers by then. A couple thoughts:

- Yes I am overall disenchanted with SW

- there are strong positives though (heads, torsos, Varagyr legs)

I feel he had the right ideas in terms of going Celtic and Viking but some things were poorly executed like fur, proportions and details like the hand stop or the lack of grip in Praetor bolter.

That said it could all have been easily fixed if someone had cared to point it out since proportions are very easy to change in cad and the fur could have been manually sculpted which always gives better results than in computer.

I think the blame here should really go to whoever approved the sculpts, noone is perfect and i always imagined theres should be some back and forth in the process. Like, "dude, the bolters are upside down", "whoops! ill fix that boss" etc etc. I mean Aesthetics are one thing but there are a LOT of obvious mistakes recently :(