Upside down bolter on the grey hunter upgrade pack 2

Huggtand

I am going to say all the issues that were raised up: pistol grips missing, the fur, the heads, sword was just cut and put on, for the praeyor upside down pistols, varagyr terminators didn't match the art, knees were on shins, praetor had awkward 2 dimensional stance.

I mean this is the artwork for the varagyr: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/0/08/SW_Varagyr_Cataphract.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170306005928

And this is what we got: varagyr_terminators_1.jpg

I will say the Grey Slayers shield, axes, and the chest are great though. I love them and wish they sold just the shields.

Edited by Jarl Caldersson

The bolters aren’t upside down. These are sculpted pieces. It’s not legos. They don’t plug in. Add a platiscard sight post onto the front and you’ll have a pretty nifty looking, smaller bolter.

The gas return tube is now on top, the sight in on bottom. It looks like they went into cad cut off the end reversed it and then put it back on.

I am going to say all the issues that were raised up: pistol grips missing, the fur, the heads, sword was just cut and put on, for the praeyor upside down pistols, varagyr terminators didn't match the art, knees were on shins, praetor had awkward 2 dimensional stance.

I mean this is the artwork for the varagyr: https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/warhammer40k/images/0/08/SW_Varagyr_Cataphract.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170306005928

I will say the Grey Slayers shield, axes, and the chest are great though. I love them and wish they sold just the shields.

Pistol grips were fixed, most of the other things are choices not mistakes. Just because a model is '2d' doesn't make it an error. The heads aren't an error, I was really impressed looking at them in resin.

The fact the models are different than the artwork is a choice that people either like or don't (or don't overly care) again that is not an error.

Again people can not like something without it being wrong.

The bolters aren’t upside down. These are sculpted pieces. It’s not legos. They don’t plug in. Add a platiscard sight post onto the front and you’ll have a pretty nifty looking, smaller bolter.

Its sculpted in CAD Rohr, it pretty much is Legos :D 

Plus, when i am paying through the nose for conversion parts i dont think its a big ask to have them not be upside down...

The gas return tube is now on top, the sight in on bottom. It looks like they went into cad cut off the end reversed it and then put it back on.

Yup and apparently they intended to do that. So some people really like it, some people really hate it.

Doesn't mean someone F'd up.

Are there a lot though or are there a few that are highlighted and talked about constantly?

I see a lot of people complaining about many things but the vast majority are personal preference, actual mistakes/errors/whatever is a very different thing.

There has been a few recently like missing grips and messed up bolters but can you think of _any_ in the past decade before that? 

Are there a lot though or are there a few that are highlighted and talked about constantly?

I see a lot of people complaining about many things but the vast majority are personal preference, actual mistakes/errors/whatever is a very different thing.

There has been a few recently like missing grips and messed up bolters but can you think of _any_ in the past decade before that? 

Bolters were intentional by FW accounts, whether people like it or not.

The grips is an error, one they have fixed pretty quickly and I am fine in letting a mistake that has been fixed that quickly slide. It's far less of a mistake than the photographic issue in Inferno.

So lets say they made 2 actual errors in a year. Also bear in mind how many products they release over that period. Then lets remember that they are going through one of their biggest periods of change in years, some people have moved to other departments, many new people have been taken on and they are working in a space which needs expanding and by all accounts is (whether they move to the new site or others do in time). Overall, they are doing fine.

A lot of internet discussion makes it sound like FW is falling apart, this spreads. If people spoke/wrote a little more reasonablly maybe others would as well and we could look at what is actually going on. That means we criticise but don't wail and gnash teeth.

Replies from FW to the question, I forget which FB page I saw it on but probably a Space Wolf one, it's also something I heard through less official means - note I don't say whether it's a good idea or not just that it was intentional - potentially just a time saver.

Marines don't really use sights anyway, it's all connected to their helmet view etc as pointed out.

So? It's still a nonsensical 'decision' that suggests someone at FW quality control needs to buck their ideas up. Either it was a mistake (somehow), or it was a stupid decision, because it looks like a mistake. Bolt weapons traditionally do have that front sight, regardless of whether the Marine 'needs' it. What's gained by flipping the asset upside down? You've now got a pointless sight and the under muzzle tube is now in the wrong (as in we've never seen a bolt weapon like that, as far as I'm aware) place. Add in a disappointed and disillusioned fanbase after the abysmal Praetor (which they haven't 'fixed', they've just stopped selling) and shockingly bad Varangyr and it's easy to to feel like FW just don't care, and reckon SW fans will swallow any old drek. The more backlash they get the better, this is not the standard we're used to seeing from the Company.

It's a terrible 'decision', another in the disappointing cavalcade of fail that's been the SW Legion release.

The email reply is out there and of course people can believe their answer or not. It's been posted on the 30k Space Wolves Players - Vlka Fenryka Page - I can't provide the picture directly.

Again I am not saying that people shouldn't express their discontent. Emailing FW and explaining what you are unhappy with is constructive. Wailing into the wind on the internet is less so.

The Varangyr had grip issues and they have been changed.

Unfortunately most of the mistakes and not as good quality as usual, has been on the few space wolves models that people have waited a year for. If you look at what they have produced before, like the TS range, Custodes, the necromunda models, we know FW can make good quality miniatures and many expected these models to have the same standard.

We have come historically to expect a certain quality from FW. So when a couple of miniatures comes out with less quality than we are used to and a bunch of cad-mistakes (missing handle etc) people are going to point that out. The pelts are of course a subjective thing, but again we are used to a better detailed fur so when it looks like a bunch of worms many questioned this.

As said before, not all is bad with the models but this is clearly a problem of quality control. Stuff like this should be fixed before produktion with constructive feedback to the sculptor who can improve.

It’s not a sight if it’s under the barrel

You can call it what you will but when you take an existing design an just flip it, it's still the same thing just upside down :teehee:

Edited by Huggtand

A good PR response would be to stand behind the decision even if it was a mistake.

It doesn't change the fact that these things are upside down. Good news is that it's an easy conversion for all you space wolf players :smile.:

Pistol grips were fixed, most of the other things are choices not mistakes. Just because a model is '2d' doesn't make it an error. The heads aren't an error, I was really impressed looking at them in resin.

The fact the models are different than the artwork is a choice that people either like or don't (or don't overly care) again that is not an error.

Again people can not like something without it being wrong.

These were "issues" that people brought up and complained about. If your customer base are complaining about a design choice it is an issue. It means your customer expected x quality and you delivered y quality.

People complained complained about the Grey Slayers head, I like it but I was a minority it seems.

Edited by Jarl Caldersson

They really are, even the bayonet lug is still there.  And CAD is indeed like Legos.

Hello all, I emailed Forge World, and got back the following reply; I am placing it in quotes.

Thanks for getting in touch. We have spoken with our design team on this and can confirm it is an intentional design choice made by the sculptor.

We will not be making any changes to the design as it is meant to be this way.

Thanks again for your feedback.

Edited by Karack Blackstone

Hello all, I emailed Forge World, and got back the following reply; I am placing it in quotes.

Thanks for getting in touch. We have spoken with our design team on this and can confirm it is an intentional design choice made by the sculptor.

Would ya look at that. It wasn’t a mistake at all.

It still is the front of a bolter flipped upside down, iron sight down bayonet lug up :teehee:  

Intentional or not

I think the basic idé of a compact bolter is nice and I like where they are going, but just flipping the cad-asset with no resculpting looks wrong (just my opinion)

Edited by Huggtand

Plus there's the fact it doesn't really look 'compact' at all. It seems to be about the size of a regular boltgun.

The fact that they deliberately just flipped the muzzle upside down, it's just... I don't even. I'm entirely flabbergasted that anyone thought that was a good idea. If you want to have a different, funky looking bolt pistol, actually design something. Gah. I actually really hope whoever is responsible for the SW release has indeed left FW. They were/are a liability.

Would ya look at that. It wasn’t a mistake at all.

Hardly surprising that's what a trained customer success agent would say