Danny Cyanide does Imperial Guard - Elysians and DKOK

Danny Cyanide

No, unfortunately I'm a long way off of buying anything new for these guys! My pile of shame still has a ton of Elysians, Deathwatch and Knights that I want to work through first.

It also includes 15 Death Riders which will be next up for the guys! I'll start building them after finishing off the motor pool! I also have a Malcador Defender waiting in the wings, but I think I'll wait to paint it until I have another batch of smaller tanks to go along with it!

As much as I love the Forge world Aircraft I don't think any will be supporting my Krieg though! I see more armor and transports in their future!

I do see myself adding some heavier aircraft to my Elysians though once my pile of shame has been depleted!

The death riders will complete my planned 2000 point list, so I'm not sure which way I'll go when I do pick up more Krieg, but I will definitely be returning to them after I catch up on some of my other projects!

Edited by Danny Cyanide

Final update for this 1 year challenge! I have officially completed 1850 points of DKOK since I started painting again last February, and here they are in all their glory:

Group:

0BiGiRB.jpg

Leman Russ tanks:

3Pk2QyD.jpg

P1yjHN4.jpg

Burning Tanks:

77nso9b.jpg

7DCo2e5.jpg

Marshals and Commissars:

FxC9gn8.jpg

Infantry Squad:

bTNi5hV.jpg

Grenadiers:

qWy94Bk.jpg

Engineers:

KcOc9GM.jpg

All 3 Infantry color schemes together:

xjmBz6E.jpg

Next up is 2 5 man Death Rider Squads, 1 Death Rider Command Squad and 1 Death Rider Squadron Commander!

Well, since I finished my first goal and had miscounted so badly, I figure I have enough time before my year is up to really push this to the limit! I'm going to try and break 2000 points by Feb 6 by completing my Calvary contingent! This will take me to 2142 points.

This will include:

1 Death Rider Squadron Commander with power fist, demo charge and Plasma pistol

1 Death Rider Command Squad

2 5 man Death Rider Squads with Powerfist and Hot Shot Lasgun Ridemasters.

I built the 2 Death Rider Squads today:

2UcbS3m.jpg

Ridemaster 1:

pGdbINe.jpg

oe9V7WR.jpg

Ridemaster 2:

n4cWIaW.jpg

icI6jXQ.jpg

One Powerfist was stolen of of a primed Elysian Sgt and the other can from a Scion box.

Edited by Danny Cyanide

As the rough riders' power fists lack the reach to effectively attack enemy infantrymen (barring extremely tall targets, like Chaos Space Marines), I think you should kitbash a bolt pistol or hotshot laspistol component for the power fists (see Marneus Calgar's power fists for comparison), so the rough riders have options.

They've got options still Bjorn, each has a hot shot Lasgun and a saber, and since they won't have any kind of pistol in game I think your idea would be confusing, although if look sweet! I might do that with the Squadron commanders plasma pistol if I can get it to look right though!

Plus I have this image in my head of these guys doing a hard lean off the sides of their horses uppercutting dudes as they ride in!

• 2 weeks later...

These Death Riders are really kicking my butt! I thought I was really going to enjoy painting then, but they have literally been the least pleasurable models I've painted since I got back into painting!

They are coming along though and I do think I'll get the group done by the 6th, with one change. I've found a 3d model for a Squadron Commander that is based on the Napoleon crossing the Alps painting that I'm going to have a friend print for me, but he won't be able to get to it for a while, so it'll just be 2 5 man squads and the 1 4 man command squad.

Here is how they are looking right now, I'm almost done blocking in colors:

Tx5K8K4.jpg

NNF2DJ2.jpg

f5MlUWt.jpg

Thanks Bjorn, I'm really looking forward to finishing them. I'd been thinking of eventually purchasing enough to run 3 10 man squads, but I don't think I will, they really haven't been enjoyable to paint!

Maybe I just need to change things up and work on something not Krieg, so I'll be moving over to my Knights and Deathwatch after these guys are finished.

And here they are, finished 2 days before my 1 year hobby anniversary!

l20PuEz.jpg

h7qsapV.jpg

oBjq3RJ.jpg

This has been a really fun self imposed challenge and in really happy to finally have a fully painted army to start playing with!

Final points really for my painted DKOK comes out to 2086 points!

I'm likely going to go quiet in this sub forum for a bit as I'm planning to start painting some of my Knights and my Deathwatch next, so feel free to check in on my threads in those sub forums if you wish! If not, I'll see you guys again when I come back to grind away on my Elysians!