We Need More Activity: Codex Discussion and More

Karack Blackstone

I wanted to address the OP as we move through March. In light of the recent leaks about Necrons being out by the end of the month it makes that originally leaked release schedule for 2018 seem more likely. So we could very well be seeing our Codex out by May so do we want to start the wish-list thread now or at the end of the month? See the schedule I am talking about below and keep in mind I did not type it so all the grammatical errors can be attributed to poster.

Haygsti70K3_C_UQWdI362_x210HyYiDUX-nD8Ye

march 17, Forgebane ( box set ) preorder

March 24, necron pre order

march 31-april 1, Dark eldar

seems accurate

The timing of The wolves usually indicates its more than just a dex, so I expect the wolves to get stuff also released with this

I wonder if the boxed game is going to be something like the next gathering of storms. The return of Russ and the rest of the HH SW's. Hopefully a return to the mute grey... Also deathwatch/1ksons/DG sized models. Would be fun if it was normal (new sizes SM) vs Chaos Primaris.

My FLGS owner believes it will be an Ork box set and campaign this summer.  He's been saying this since around October/November.  He doesn't have any inside information that the rest of us don't, but his intuition has been eerily accurate.  He's been in the business for a while, but I often wonder if he isn't touched by Tzeentch.

Abaddon vs Bulveye

box set, the old wolf (bulveye) vs the lonely wolf(abaddon).

or Abaddon vs PRIMARIS RAGNAR

we are wolves!

bark bark bark

dual form RUSS FOR EVERYONES TASTES

WE ARE WOLVES!

BARK BARK ABRK

The two forms like Morathi is pretty intriguing. Would you guys be happy with a shape-shifting Russ? I love the idea of an Odin looking Russ. I can’t help but picturing Anthony Hopkins with the eye patch.

Nope. Shape-shifting Russ would be stupid, just like werewolf Russ. Leave that 2 form stuff for Fantasy. Primarchs shouldn't be like jrpg bosses with multiple forms. Only way it would be somewhat tolerable is if it was more '2 different loadouts', so basic infantry Russ, then (still bad, but better than shape-shifting) Russ on a Logan Sleigh. Or maybe something like Primarch scaled Dreadknight armour for the 'second from' (although that would raise the issue of why Russ has that and Gulliman doesn't).

I'm hoping its a translation thing and something like "Russ coming back with two forms" means Russ is back, along with two forms.

Freki and Geri

Oh nice catch

Im totally grasping at straws, but i wanted to put that into the universe. Maybe it will stick....

Nope. Shape-shifting Russ would be stupid, just like werewolf Russ. Leave that 2 form stuff for Fantasy. Primarchs shouldn't be like jrpg bosses with multiple forms. Only way it would be somewhat tolerable is if it was more '2 different loadouts', so basic infantry Russ, then (still bad, but better than shape-shifting) Russ on a Logan Sleigh. Or maybe something like Primarch scaled Dreadknight armour for the 'second from' (although that would raise the issue of why Russ has that and Gulliman doesn't).

I’d agree. I’d put money on him riding the biggest wolf mount the universe has ever seen.

The two forms like Morathi is pretty intriguing. Would you guys be happy with a shape-shifting Russ? I love the idea of an Odin looking Russ. I can’t help but picturing Anthony Hopkins with the eye patch.

We pretty much have that already in the form of Ulrik. I am really hoping for something awesome for Russ but at the same time, I don't want him to just look like a big, better version of an existing model.

99070101019_UlrikTheSlayer01.jpg

We pretty much have that already in the form of Ulrik. I am really hoping for something awesome for Russ but at the same time, I don't want him to just look like a big, better version of an existing model.

99070101019_UlrikTheSlayer01.jpg

This right here is something I have been thinking about the "Odin" Russ. I will of course reserve judgement until we see the Russ model, if we do at all (fingers crossed!) as they may do something awesome with maybe an Old King Thor theme for Russ.

I don't think we will get shape-shifting or Odin-Russ. Shape-shifting is just bleh. Doesn't fit the setting.

And hasn't Russ been in the warp since he has been missing? He probably comes out looking a few weeks older. Can Primarchs even age?

Odin Russ is a positive. That there are two forms I think is good compromise for what fans want, but the prospect of werewolf Russ makes me nervous. It depends on the execution, and I think to this point Wulfen haven't been done in a way I've liked (it's the feet).

What if it's not two models like Morag, but two different builds you can do of Russ? A Wise form or a Wild form? You build your preference.

It should be noted that Primaris Space Wolves are still forthcoming. I know you can expect what DA and BA got, with perhaps some extra stuff if these Primarch + box set rumours are true.

Odin Russ I would be a fan of. I would not be as thrilled about shape-shifting Russ. The main reason for that would simply be that shape-shifting is Bran Redmaw's thing. We already have a Wolf Lord who is largely defined by his tendency to go full-Wulfen mid-battle. I'd love to see two minis for a shape-shifting Bran, but that's not the gimmick I'd like to see for our Primarch.

The feet are so bad it makes me sick.

Options aren't bad and if I don't like the model I can always convert the forgeworld one to have the 40k equipment.

I want a Primarch though. Not a werewolf. And it also may come down to rules. Will he share a lot of the same rules RG has? Probably, which I think is a good thing. Russ probably won't get the CP thing though. Maybe something anti-psyker or combat related.

I didn’t picture Ulrik when I imagined an Odin looking Russ. Ulrik just looks old to me. Not feeble, but old and bitter. I’d imagined a Primarch in stature and physique, yet with greying hair and a beard. The eye patch was more of a joke.

In the Dark Imperium novel RG is described as having an aged appearance when compared to 10k years before. He’s depicted as having what equates to stress wrinkles and greying temples. Not bad for being so old. They could easily do this for Russ. They’ve hammered it home now enough that time doesn’t pass the same as we know it in the warp. I just hope Russ has some awesome ornate armor and long savage hair.

I couldn’t even speculate on his rules. I don’t think he should play like RG, because they’re just simply unlike one another. I liked how they made Mortarion and Magnus seem so different on the table. Hopefully, they can recapture that with the loyalists.

The armor of Russ was found, indicating that he has upgraded. Being a practical man, I imagine Russ defeated a demon and took its armor (maybe a demon of Khorne with armor that has even better anti-magic protection). Although knowing how GW handles its own lore, they'll probably forget that his armor was found and he'll come back with the same gear he left with.

I'm also in the crowd of "I hope he's not a werewolf." The curse is for people who are changed by the canis helix, but Russ was built with it - it's who he is - so I believe he won't have to master the helix, he just has to master himself. Something I feel his quest (whatever it is) should give him. But if he comes back with a werewolf model I won't lose my mind and burn my army or anything, I'll just use my own headcannon and play with his forgeworld model and explain that his werewolf rules apply to a nonwerewolf model by saying he fights like a berserker (or some similar explanation).

Either way, getting a codex will make me happy. Getting a codex and a primarch will make me ecstatic.

I agree it would be awesome to see Russ return, and definitely NOT warped into a wulfen or similar. I just hope when he does return, his rules are far more than him being a beat-stick. I want to see his cunning and tenacity reinforced in the game mechanics, especially in any army-wide/aura buff.

TO each his own.

My only Hope for russ when he is returned, is for his model to be on the same tier (quality wise) as Mortarian.

additionally, dont make it dumb.

I want a majestic piece.  whether he's rune lord Russ or wulfen touched. so long as the overall design is fantastic and not absurd, or a compression of stereotypes.

Archived