The following are just personal musings, I have no inside information, and just want to see what others think of my said ideas.
I am totally on-board with the idea that Russ has, for lack of a better term, an Arch Rune Priest style form; the issue is, what is going to be Russ' second form, and, how, if at all, might one change back and forth.
While I am sure there is going to be some concept of Russ having a wolf-ed out form, the if, and I hope, the how, he can be changed back and forth, would be great if done well.
- Base statline (I can only guess what his stat's should be, nearly Guilliman, likely higher WS)
- Rune Priest abilities
- Some kind of buff, maybe the option to control or choose the Wulfen charts and die results
- I expect Russ can choose his form, per turn, as opposed to being a one way transformation
- Werewolf Russ, just, he (I hope) can change back and forth, once per turn, without a die roll
- I would keep, yet diminish, his Rune Priest abilities
As far as weapons and wargear goes, new weapons, and above all, a new suit of armor, not sure of the origin of where it might come from, could be a very interesting concept, especially if Russ found his true purpose, and, his destined weapons and armor, among other items, in his hunts through the Eye.
I personally don't like the idea of giving in to the Wulfen, as for normal Wolves, that means they have lost control of themselves, and are now little more than barely sentient beasts. I would however love if the presence of Russ starts to restore control to the Wulfen, and those that are affected by their presence, per the above.
Just the option to choose the Wulfen chart and die result rolled could be amazing, even if just one chart and one choice for all Wolves units within the affected range of the Wulfen pack. The problem as always is that GW loves, per my previous comment, to push the Wolf side of the Space Wolves.
We need far, FAR, more Viking, especially now, to offset the constant push of too much Wolf, up until now.