Striking Scorpions Kill Teams for SWA

Ioldanach

As promised, here are the rules for using Striking Scorpion Aspect Warriors of the Asuryani in Shadow War: Armageddon.

First, the rules:

(The originally posted image links no longer work as the file has been updated. See this post for the current version.)

As with the Howling Banshee Kill Teams rules, this list is based on the Craftworld Eldar [Dire Avenger] Kill Team rules, replacing the Dire Avengers Exarch and Aspect Warriors with the Striking Scorpions Exarch and Aspect Warriors; and the Guardians represent a Guardian Storm squad (so no heavy weapons, just special weapons).

While I’ve retained the Battle Focus rule for the kill team, I’ve adjusted the skills to better (I hope) reflect the nature of the Striking Scorpions.

Where weapons and equipment don’t already have rules in Shadow War: Armageddon (e.g., the Scorpion’s Claw is a power fist/power claw crossed with a shuriken pistol), I’ve rendered the rules as close to the 8th edition Codex: Craftworlds. There are a few items whose points I’m unsure of, and these are highlighted yellow for easy identification.

Thanks for looking, and if you’re able/inclined, playtesting and providing feedback.

Edited by Ioldanach

• 4 weeks later...

The rules have been updated. The only change to the Striking Scorpion rules was the Eldar blade (sword) becoming an Aeldari blade, duplicating the rules of Index: Xenos and the 8th edition codex, with a 5 point increase. Other than that, there were some format changes as I prepare for the consolidation of all of the Aeldari files into a single file.

The current rules:

(The originally posted image links no longer work as the file has been updated. See this post for the current version.)

Edited by Ioldanach

This one, like the Howling Banshees, seems pretty straightforward. My only concern (with both kill teams) is that both are short on shooting power and my (limited) experience has been that shooting is king in SWA. For that reason alone, you might consider allowing the Storm Guardians the ability to take shuriken catapults again. You may want to playtest first to see if they're even necessary, but if it turns out that you need more shooty power, then re-introducing shuriken catapults would seem to be the first likely step.

• 2 months later...

I'm leaning towards returning the shuriken catapults for the Guardians for the reason that Brother Tyler suggested. If it happens, it will be implemented in this and the Howling Banshee Kill Team list.

• 6 months later...

I made a few minor changes:

tn_gallery_44777_13283_26682.jpg tn_gallery_44777_13283_301797.jpg tn_gallery_44777_13283_341082.jpg tn_gallery_44777_13283_307217.jpg tn_gallery_44777_13283_371587.jpg

(click the thumbnails for full size versions)

Summary of changes:
  • All of the instances of "Eldar" were changed to "Aeldari."
  • The special operatives were adjusted. All of the Asuryani kill teams have access to the autarch as the first special operative. For most, two exarchs fill the other two slots. The intent is to give every kill team a shooty special operative, a stabby special operative, and another special operative. Since the Striking Scorpions are a stabby kill team, they don't need a stabby special operative (besides the autarch), so the second special operative is a Swooping Hawk exarch. The shooty special operative is a Dark Reaper exarch.

• 9 months later...
Even though GW appears to have abandoned SWA, there is apparently still interest in playing. Since there hasn't been any further feedback, I've finalized the rules and made them available for download. You can find them here.