Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Vostroyan 94th

Imperial Guard Vostroyan Astra Militarum

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

Marshal Marchenko

Marshal Marchenko

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 52 posts

Well, It's been a while. I have mostly been preoccupied with terrain for the last few months which seems silly given that I can now fill more than a 6x4 but only have enough space for a killteam board teehee.gif. I also started a narrative campaign which unfortunately didn't ever really get into its stride before petering out. Still, it was a good learning experience. Anyway, here is what I've got up to recently.

med_gallery_104950_14195_144813.jpg

I got this guy in a secret Santa last christmas and painted him up a month or so ago. I had been meaning to pick up another commissar for a while so that I could run a stock loadout Lord.

Today I started work on the navigator from Blackstone Fortress; I'm planning to use him as either an astropath or primaris psyker

Spoiler

I got annoyed with the cloak though, so I moved onto the guy below. I really stuggle with large flat pieces of cloth.

Spoiler

I was much happier with this WIP. I may go back over the vials and remove the green as it hasn't quite worked out how I hoped. Not sure what I'll use him as. Maybe an officer of the fleet or some sort of inquisitor.

• WarriorFish, Bjorn Firewalker and duz_ like this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,741 posts
  • Faction: Catachan Wolves
The officer (a Commissar?) is well done.
  • Marshal Marchenko likes this

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

Marshal Marchenko

Marshal Marchenko

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 52 posts

So today I mostly rescued my Navigator. I think if I was to do him again I would choose a different metallic colour for his headgear but at least this way he fits into my force better

med_gallery_104950_14195_496249.jpg

med_gallery_104950_14195_41438.jpg

I also finished my pilot. First time using different colour washes on a face. Really pleased with the effect, I'll have to experiment more with it.

med_gallery_104950_14195_147775.jpg

med_gallery_104950_14195_620184.jpg

I also realised I never posted the Scions I knocked up a few months back for KillTeam.

med_gallery_104950_14195_836862.jpg

med_gallery_104950_14195_572126.jpg

Next up will hopefully be some objective markers based on the Vostroyan casualty models. I've tried a new scheme on them which will involve an oil wash so I will be interested to find out if I prefer it to my older simpler Vostroyan scheme.

• WarriorFish, Bjorn Firewalker, walter h and 3 others like this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,741 posts
Well done. I especially like the Navigator.
  • Marshal Marchenko likes this

Wolf Scout- Catachan barking toad eggs+ Thousand Sons Marine= Fun! (Wolves of Catachan)
Sisters of Battle+ Fenrisian Beer- Inhibitions- Sanity= Trouble! (Order of the Blazing Heart Rocket Punch Pimp Magnet She-Wolf)

Reasons to use the Steel Crusaders ('Codex: Space Marines' supplement): Because you think giving Sternguard Veterans a heavy bolter wtih special issue HEAVY BOLTER ammunition is ALMOST as much fun as shoehorning an Earthshaker cannon into a Land Raider.

Reasons to use the Iron-hearted Angels ('Codex: Blood Angels' supplement): Because you think the Librarian Dreadnought needs Furious Charge AND It Will Not Die to beat down a Chaos-worshiping punk and his Defiler, while a Stormraven needs a Vanquisher cannon to beat down this punk's Heldrake.

Marshal Marchenko

Marshal Marchenko

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 52 posts

So here are the WIP shots of my objective markers

Spoiler

I'm planning to add some crates that are numbered to show which objective is which.

I took this opportunity to try a new scheme on the Vostroyans. I used an oil wash instead of the GW washes I had used before and highlighted the bronze with a brass instead of a copper. I think the oil wash went ok and will look better once I have more practice with it. As for the highlights, these guys are bit too yellow for me, I think I will be a little more careful to just edge highlight next time.

Any C&C welcome.

• WarriorFish, Bjorn Firewalker, robofish7591 and 1 other like this

Bjorn Firewalker

Bjorn Firewalker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,741 posts
Excellent work on the Objective Markers. How'd you hollow out the corpse of the guardsman lying on his back?

Marshal Marchenko

Marshal Marchenko

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 52 posts

They are actually casualty models from the platoon boxset they did when the Vostroyans were first released back in 2004(?). They re-released that set on made to order over last christmas so I stocked up on models seeing as all vostroyans are oop now cry.gif. I'm still working out whether I want to turn some of the infantry from those sets into rough riders but given that they've been taken out of the codex now I might not bother. I am dealing with a limited resource now after all.

• duz_ and The Ergonomic Enginseer like this

Marshal Marchenko

Marshal Marchenko

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 52 posts

Took a break from my Daemons to work on my knight allies. Trying out a new marble technique.

med_gallery_104950_14195_317370.jpg

• WarriorFish and duz_ like this

duz_

duz_

++ REPREHENSOR FECTUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 4,738 posts
Nice was that the steel wool method
I need to try that on some bases

Marshal Marchenko

Marshal Marchenko

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 52 posts

I actually used wet wipes that I pulled apart. I don't know the steel wool techniques but I imagine its similar. I have also used the technique on an inquisitor that is almost finished but it didn't work nearly as well on the smaller area.

• duz_ likes this

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Imperial Guard, Vostroyan, Astra Militarum

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users