Well, It's been a while. I have mostly been preoccupied with terrain for the last few months which seems silly given that I can now fill more than a 6x4 but only have enough space for a killteam board :teehee:. I also started a narrative campaign which unfortunately didn't ever really get into its stride before petering out. Still, it was a good learning experience. Anyway, here is what I've got up to recently.

med_gallery_104950_14195_144813.jpg

I got this guy in a secret Santa last christmas and painted him up a month or so ago. I had been meaning to pick up another commissar for a while so that I could run a stock loadout Lord.

Today I started work on the navigator from Blackstone Fortress; I'm planning to use him as either an astropath or primaris psyker

med_gallery_104950_14195_244986.jpgmed_gallery_104950_14195_444944.jpg

I got annoyed with the cloak though, so I moved onto the guy below. I really stuggle with large flat pieces of cloth.

med_gallery_104950_14195_327821.jpg

med_gallery_104950_14195_602366.jpg

I was much happier with this WIP. I may go back over the vials and remove the green as it hasn't quite worked out how I hoped. Not sure what I'll use him as. Maybe an officer of the fleet or some sort of inquisitor.

So today I mostly rescued my Navigator. I think if I was to do him again I would choose a different metallic colour for his headgear but at least this way he fits into my force better

med_gallery_104950_14195_496249.jpg

med_gallery_104950_14195_41438.jpg

I also finished my pilot. First time using different colour washes on a face. Really pleased with the effect, I'll have to experiment more with it.

med_gallery_104950_14195_147775.jpg

med_gallery_104950_14195_620184.jpg

I also realised I never posted the Scions I knocked up a few months back for KillTeam.

med_gallery_104950_14195_836862.jpg

med_gallery_104950_14195_572126.jpg

Next up will hopefully be some objective markers based on the Vostroyan casualty models. I've tried a new scheme on them which will involve an oil wash so I will be interested to find out if I prefer it to my older simpler Vostroyan scheme.

So here are the WIP shots of my objective markers

med_gallery_104950_14195_623495.jpg

med_gallery_104950_14195_682399.jpg

med_gallery_104950_14195_876360.jpg

I'm planning to add some crates that are numbered to show which objective is which.

I took this opportunity to try a new scheme on the Vostroyans. I used an oil wash instead of the GW washes I had used before and highlighted the bronze with a brass instead of a copper. I think the oil wash went ok and will look better once I have more practice with it. As for the highlights, these guys are bit too yellow for me, I think I will be a little more careful to just edge highlight next time.

Any C&C welcome.

They are actually casualty models from the platoon boxset they did when the Vostroyans were first released back in 2004(?). They re-released that set on made to order over last christmas so I stocked up on models seeing as all vostroyans are oop now :cry:. I'm still working out whether I want to turn some of the infantry from those sets into rough riders but given that they've been taken out of the codex now I might not bother. I am dealing with a limited resource now after all.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some reinforcements have made there way to the 94th in the form of a Questoris Knight (magnetised) and an Ordo Malleus Inquisitor.

med_gallery_104950_14195_458124.jpg

med_gallery_104950_14195_162702.jpg

The idea is that this Inquisitor has assembled a battlegroup, the mainstay of which is made up of Vostroyans, for some as yet undecided purpose. The knights and abhuman auxillaries also provide support.

Gotta love those dead Vostroyan models! I've been trying to figure out what to use mine for. I'm thinking of basing them on a larger base like you did but then maybe putting something that will hold a die on it? That way it is a casualty marker and you can keep track of how many casualties it represents? Not sure that is really worth the effort. That aside, I think the ink washes you used on them turned out great! I would seriously consider using it for the rest of the army going forward.

The marble is looking good too. Any way you could describe your technique a bit more? Looking into doing some marble terrain pieces but I've chickened out so far.

Thanks!

The marble technique uses an airbrush. First I base the panel in grey black, I then take a wet-wipe and pull it apart to create fibrous holes in it. Then, holding the wet-wipe over the panel, I spray on white grey. It then gets finished off with a gloss varnish. On the Knight I then applied transfers  before gloss varnishing again and using an oil wash. The whole model got a satin varnish to protect it.

The technique works well on larger models like the knight but I also attempted it on the inquisitor where it didn't work as well. However, I think I could do it better with a second attempt.

• 5 weeks later...

After a mere year and a half of owning these kits, they are finally ready to use (Bases notwithstanding). Two Questoris Knights are added to my Vostroyans from the noble house of Vyronii.

med_gallery_104950_14195_687631.jpg

med_gallery_104950_14195_512793.jpg

I have also given some more thought to the composition of the army. The Vostroyan 94th battlegroup comprises of an engineer infantry company and an armoured company with seconded artillery support. This battlegroup forms the majority of Ordo Malleus Lord Inquisitor Arno Varn's personal forces, which also includes a small detachment of Tempestus Scions and a Knight Lance from House Vyronii.

I have been struggling to decide which house's rules best fit House Vyronii's background. House Vyronii are so far only mentioned in Heresy era materials so there is little to say how they exist in the 40k setting. By the time of the heresy the house was pretty much on its last legs, having struggled in isolation through the long night. This is similar to House Cadmus. Equally, they owe the Imperium a large debt for their salvation which they endeavor to fulfill. This seems similar to Hawkshroud. Other arguments could be made for other houses. As such I'm not really sure which to go for so any advice would be appreciated.

Well I have managed to make a squad of finecast flesh hounds go floppy by leaving them in stripper too long so they may be an option for base adornment.

Decorate the bases so they look burnt, e.g., use black grass, so it looks like a flame weapon washed over the field. That should make the "floppy flesh hounds" look like they belong.