Death Guard ZM 1K

Charlo

Campaign coming up in a month or so and I'm considering digging out the models I bought for a non-starter DG project to run with.

Only real rules are that the Warlord must be the same throughout the campaign and if they die, they die. But to make up for it you can pick your Warlord Trait.

====================================

So currently I'm considering this for 1000pts, both final option leave a few points to play around with.

Rite of War

Pride of the Legion

Preator

Tartaros TDA, Iron Halo, Grenade Harness, Thunder Hammer, Digital Lasers

Warlord - World Burner/ Void Walker/ Any other suggestions?

Deathshroud Terminators

4 Deathshroud

Contemptor-Cortus

Dread Fist, Chainfist, 2x Meltagun/ Graviton Gun

Grave Wardens

5 Grave Wardens, 2 Chainfists

Then EITHER:

Veteran Squad:

9 Veterans, 2x Heavy Flamer

Sergeant, Artificer Armour, Power Scythe, Combi-Flamer

Marksmen Tactic

OR

Heavy Support Squad:

6 Legionnaires with Heavy Flamers

Sergeant with Heavy Flamer, Artificer Armour

====================================

Models I have available are:

• 10 man MkIV squad with Bolters + Chainswords
  • 5 Man Missile Launcher Squad
  • 5 Grave Wardens
  • 5 Deathshroud
  • Contemptor (two fists / MM / Kheres available)
  • Parts to make pretty much any character
  • A load of MkIII I can turn into most Power Armour units
Edited by Charlo

Looks nasty.  My one worry is that you are going be buried in saves from the large 10-man tactical/veteran/breacher squads that are pretty ubiquitous in ZM.  A praetor is a bit overkill for 1000 points.

Looks nasty.  My one worry is that you are going be buried in saves from the large 10-man tactical/veteran/breacher squads that are pretty ubiquitous in ZM.  A praetor is a bit overkill for 1000 points.

Perhaps! But a 2+ Save helps and no "rending" from the ZM rules will affect them.

I'd definitely agree about a Preator normally, but when the Warlord has Perma-death and needs to stay the same and grow throughout the campign, it's a real must. A Centurion (such as a Delegatus) only having 2 Wounds just makes him too Vulnerable I feel. Plus then he unlocks the Rite of War to avoid the "tax" of Tacticals.

I'm also wondering about the effectiveness of Techmarines and Servitors with Rad-Missile Launchers. Four AP3 Fleshbane Shred Blasts per squad for under 200pts could be real nasty. But probably a bit too fragile compared to the Vets or Support Squad eh?

Edited by Charlo

Yeah Vets seem to be the way to go, plus fluffy!

More impact overall, more mobility and more flexibility.

Now I'm just pondering if they should be Sniper with Heavy Flamers + Combis, or something like Machine Killer + Meltas?

• 2 weeks later...

So currently with the list I've got 40ish points left to spend... Looking like the Veterans are the obvious choice for a bit of pimping out! Perhaps Melta Bombs on them or the Deathshroud? Or i could find 10 points and grab two suspensor webbed Missile Launchers, or even Heavy Bolters/ Flamers for Chemical fun?

Toying with an option of replacing the Vets with a Squad of 5 Tartaros with a few Combi Weapons (Plasma or Melta?) and Chainfists sprinkled in, for maximum Terminator?

Thoughts, options?

Edited by Charlo

I'd definitely go with the Veterans.

I'd also suggest replacing the Praetor's Thunder Hammer with a Paragon Blade. Being able to strike at initiative could definitely help to keep him alive a bit longer. In fact I'd suggest replacing the Praetor with a Praetor Tribune. You'll miss out on the Grenade Harness, but you get a Praetor with Tartaros armour, a Master Crafted Paragon Blade, Digital Lasers, and an Iron Halo for the same price.

Melta bombs on shroud and few combos on the vets.

It would be melta bombs and a single combi (I've recently bumped up the shroud to 5 men as I found the points!) or a couple of heavy weapons.

I'd definitely go with the Veterans.

I'd also suggest replacing the Praetor's Thunder Hammer with a Paragon Blade. Being able to strike at initiative could definitely help to keep him alive a bit longer. In fact I'd suggest replacing the Praetor with a Praetor Tribune. You'll miss out on the Grenade Harness, but you get a Praetor with Tartaros armour, a Master Crafted Paragon Blade, Digital Lasers, and an Iron Halo for the same price.

Aye will be Vets methinks, they can just hunker down and have some fun with bolts.

On the Paragon Blade, I just don't think the initiative is too necessary - Deathshroud will be taking challenges for me and even then, unless the opponent also has a Fist or the like they'll take a heck of a beating. The Hammer is there for my Preator to stand back and smash enemy 2W Terminators/ Characters into oblivion from relative safety. Paragonblades require 3 or so wounds to kill an enemy character (or lucky 6), whereas the hammer will be one failed save and kaput!

I'm actually even considering a Chainfist at this point, just to act as a backup against any Dreads or something!