Best Legion Fluff in the FW HH Books

b1soul

So which three legion fluff sections do you think are the best in the FW series up to now...and please share why.

Also, which FW-created event(s) is the most memorable/coolest in your opinion.

I need some time to think a out the former, but as for the latter, I really like Gate 42, Rangda, and Cerberus

Nothing tops slinging a moon at an enemy forgr world while assaulting it.

I did some math based on the numbers provided in the story, and it doesn’t work out. The energy required to push a moon sufficiently would have pulverized the it, and been better spent in a direct bombardment of Bodt.

I kinda had to do it after rediscovering that old “Rocks are not free, citizen!” White Dwarf article explaining why the Imperial Navy didn’t just hurl asteroids at target planets.

Dunno if this link will work: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2048956328709538&id=1811547999117040&__tn__=-R

I liked the Alpha Legion exemplary battle, The Hunting of the Ak’Haireth. That’s the one where they poison a human population with a 7% mortality rate to kill the xenos feeding on them - one of the few noncombat stories and a glimpse of darkness in a brighter past.

Edited by carlisimo

Nothing tops slinging a moon at an enemy forgr world while assaulting it.

I did some math based on the numbers provided in the story, and it doesn’t work out. The energy required to push a moon sufficiently would have pulverized the it, and been better spent in a direct bombardment of Bodt.

I kinda had to do it after rediscovering that old “Rocks are not free, citizen!” White Dwarf article explaining why the Imperial Navy didn’t just hurl asteroids at target planets.

Dunno if this link will work: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2048956328709538&id=1811547999117040&__tn__=-R

I liked the Alpha Legion exemplary battle, The Hunting of the Ak’Haireth. That’s the one where they poison a human population with a 7% mortality rate to kill the xenos feeding on them - one of the few noncombat stories and a glimpse of darkness in a brighter past.

Its science-fantasy, suspend disbelief, this is the same universe where weaponized chainsaws are as effective as  large knife. I'm 99% sure no physicist was consulted in any Horus heresy book.....

I know. I’m just used to FW books being a little more grounded in reality - and when they aren’t, it’s usually to accommodate something that’s been in the 40k universe for a long time.

In this case, GW themselves said it was a silly idea nearly 20 years ago.

I know. I’m just used to FW books being a little more grounded in reality - and when they aren’t, it’s usually to accommodate something that’s been in the 40k universe for a long time.

In this case, GW themselves said it was a silly idea nearly 20 years ago.

They intend to do a black book with the signus cluster investigation... be prepared to suspend your disbelief even more, when planets simply reverse rotation because it amuses a greater daemon....

I loved a lot Horus Rising and First Heretic

Then i got the books about DA and i gave up the series cause i hated them

So of what i got Horus Rising and First Heretic are the best ones IMHO

This is about the Forge World books, not Black Library :)

I loved a lot Horus Rising and First Heretic

Then i got the books about DA and i gave up the series cause i hated them

So of what i got Horus Rising and First Heretic are the best ones IMHO

This is about the Forge World books, not Black Library :)
Ok but for the same reason i didn't bought the BL books i didn't got the FW black books too

The only black book i got it's the only one with DA rules inside

If you ask me about only FW books i can say that i like the Black Shields and Knights Errant fluff cause imho it's the best part of the only black book i have (but still subpar compared to Horus Rising)

DA fluff in black book is less atrociuos than the novels but still subpar imho so i cannot say it's my fav part of the book

A few stand out moments for me:

• Thousand Sons taking down a Knight House with about 5 Psykers
  • Ultras revenge-killing the weird long Psyker Beasts after Guilliman is found
  • Imperial Fists conquering Necromunda
  • Tempest Galleries 
  • Emperor's children winning an entire world (and all the fancy swords) in one honour duel

Probably more (RANGDAN!) but these are pretty great.

My personal favorite fluff section is the Xana Incursion, hands down. It's such a perfect mess. I love the subtle way that it's been written, to glorify the involvement of many of the parties that ended up aiding the Imperial side. Whether they did so deliberately or not. 

I really like the House Orhlacc section in Conquest, too. You can definitely read that section and come away from it without realizing that they're creepy, aristocratic cannibals. Can-nobles?

• Thousand Sons taking down a Knight House with about 5 Psykers

My favorite detail about this is that it's an action involving Ahriman's brother, Ohrmuzd. I wonder why he suffered the flesh change...? It wasn't because he was abusing warp magic to wipe out Knight houses or anything, right? ;) It further highlights Ahriman's hypocrisy, as well. He remembers the horror of Ohrmuzd as an unwelcome tragedy, but when you take a step back you realize it was just the price Ohrmuzd had to pay for his reckless use of power.