Best Legion Fluff in the FW HH Books

b1soul

My favourite has to be the Battle of Hive Ilium (and the boarding of the Triumph of Reason) in Book IV, Conquest. Talking to Alan Bligh about that is probably my happiest hobby related memory. A wonderfully cinematic passage that shows the Sons of Horus doing what they do best, and one of those rare moments where you read something that makes your favourite faction as incredibly badass as you always wanted them to be.

My favourite has to be the Battle of Hive Ilium (and the boarding of the Triumph of Reason) in Book IV, Conquest. Talking to Alan Bligh about that is probably my happiest hobby related memory. A wonderfully cinematic passage that shows the Sons of Horus doing what they do best, and one of those rare moments where you read something that makes your favourite faction as incredibly badass as you always wanted them to be.

And Abaddon in particular. Finally gives some ammunition against the "all he did was lead spearheads" argument. Also King-Eater is a mighty ship name.

And Abaddon in particular. Finally gives some ammunition against the "all he did was lead spearheads" argument. Also King-Eater is a mighty ship name.

Couldn't agree more. It was a conscious decision of AB's to have him acting as a Horus-substitute, highlighting his talent and status. I also like to imagine that he pimp slapped the Lord Protector of Manachea into a wall with his power fist upon entering the Palace of Light, given the book's description. :tongue.:

Edited by Marshal Loss

Favorite Legion presentation:

- Wolves

- Thousand Sons

- Salamanders

- Raven Guard

Favorite campaigns:

- Ebon Drake saga

- that one campaign with NL, IW and Orks

- Prospero Burns

Favorite "other stuff":

- Blackshields!

IMHO

Bit of a Wolves / Sons fan. ;)

Edited by Kelborn

What were your fabourtite aspects of the SW and TS fluff?

Those are my favorite Legions, so I'm a bit biased.

I like the way how they expand upon the TS structures, their potency, etc.

Was hoping for at least three exemplary battles for the Wolves instead of one, though. But their take on Fenris and the Legion itself was satisfying, imho.

Burning of Prospero (The event itself) is what drew me to 30K. That's why Inferno is my only HH Book of FW.

Custodes, etc. are a nice bonus, as well. ;)

Nothing tops slinging a moon at an enemy forgr world while assaulting it.

I did some math based on the numbers provided in the story, and it doesn’t work out. The energy required to push a moon sufficiently would have pulverized the it, and been better spent in a direct bombardment of Bodt.

I kinda had to do it after rediscovering that old “Rocks are not free, citizen!” White Dwarf article explaining why the Imperial Navy didn’t just hurl asteroids at target planets.

Dunno if this link will work: https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=2048956328709538&id=1811547999117040&__tn__=-R

I liked the Alpha Legion exemplary battle, The Hunting of the Ak’Haireth. That’s the one where they poison a human population with a 7% mortality rate to kill the xenos feeding on them - one of the few noncombat stories and a glimpse of darkness in a brighter past.

I think Iron Hand physics is the last physics you should question ;) 

To dispel this for the last time: 

You misunderstand the situation; Bodt's moon was not in a circular orbit like you or many a critic assumed. Rather, it has an elliptical orbit, and it was nudged just very slightly when it was heading back to Bodt.

The fact that Bodt possesses serious seasonal volcanic activity indicates active tectonic plates at specific points in time, backing up the elliptical orbit theory. Also, the frequently quoted "Moon-shift" source from WD actually relates to far out asteroids. Clan Morragul thinks bigger. 

TL;DR: Crash Maven, Not Phobos. 

http://spaceflight101.com/maven/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/orbit_compare-512x394.jpg

I think Iron Hand physics is the last physics you should question ;)

To dispel this for the last time:

You misunderstand the situation; Bodt's moon was not in a circular orbit like you or many a critic assumed. Rather, it has an elliptical orbit, and it was nudged just very slightly when it was heading back to Bodt.

The fact that Bodt possesses serious seasonal volcanic activity indicates active tectonic plates at specific points in time, backing up the elliptical orbit theory. Also, the frequently quoted "Moon-shift" source from WD actually relates to far out asteroids. Clan Morragul thinks bigger.

TL;DR: Crash Maven, Not Phobos.

http://spaceflight101.com/maven/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/orbit_compare-512x394.jpg

I assumed an eccentricity of 0.75 in my calculations. (e=0 is a circle, e=1 is a hyperbola - anything in between is an ellipse, with a greater eccentricity as you approach 1).

The problem is the time - the story states “a matter of hours” and gives a normal fly-by distance of 500,000 km (implying that’s the perigee). That orbital distance and a small nudge are incompatible with a short timeframe.

Not saying it’s a big deal… I was just having an odd day and wanted to do some math.

The Salamanders, Iron Hands and Raven Guard fluff are specially great for me, since their presence and primarchs have been quite underwelming in the Horus Heresy series. The FW books do them justice and make them fascinating again. 

The Raven Guard's flight across Isstvan V is so much more evocative than in the BL novella. Also makes them more than just ninjas, whereas I feel the novella ditched that to just... show Corvus being a ninja.

I also dig the bit in Conquest where Mortarion brawls with a Contemptor and just shrugs off the blows.