Index Astartes: Shut Down

Stark

Hail, Battle Brothers & Battle Sisters - Masters and Mistresses of the Liber,

WELCOME!

med_gallery_104866_14197_1053132.png

I'm new to the game 40K and the B&C, and I want to build a Space Marine army. I'll be acquiring a codex & some models this weekend. Meanwhile, I've been dipping into the various forums and gaining inspiration (and spending too much time using the online painter). I'm feeling the creative bug now. Everyone likes to hit a great idea out of the ballpark their first time out, but I know that rarely happens. Anything I start now will most likely change the more I work on it.

But, we all have to start somewhere, which is why I'm here. If I'm going to do this, I'd like to do so with respect to the lore (which I know little of).

This will be my "placeholder" post, to be edited with the most updated version of my Index Astartes.

[edit] "Clean Slate Protocol" activated

gallery_104866_14200_1125706.gif

Edited by Stark

Okay, let me get a few things off the table.

sml_gallery_104866_14172_77830.png

I admit my "namesake" had a few ideas that seemed "cool". However, the more I think about them, the less I think they would be.

So, I won't be naming my space marines: Iron Avengers, Golden Avengers, Avengers, Silver Centurions, War Machines, or Iron Patriots.

Nor will I be using their paint schemes. Not that I don't think they'd be good to use, but they'd automatically commit me to a theme.

sml_gallery_104866_14191_123633.jpg <--- You can click on the image if you want a closer look at the "Iron Man" paint schemes.

Although, I must admit, War Machines actually is a cool name. Oh well. Maybe later.

My first scheme was based on the Black Templars: black/white pads with black skulls replacing the Templar crosses.

Then I decided to go with red on the pads. The skulls and chest wings are battleship grey.

The third is my chosen one, battleship grey aquilas & helmets, black armor/white pads, codex company color trim.

sml_gallery_104866_14182_73537.jpg sml_gallery_104866_14191_40853.jpg sml_gallery_104866_14191_13548.jpg <--- click on image to enlarge.

My list of names so far:

Death Dealers

Grey Templars

Indomitors - the winner!

Iron Skulls

Iron Templars

War Machines (hey, why not?)

Let me know what you think. I'm open to suggestions. (Yea, I'll probably regret saying that. :laugh.: )

[edited to add paint scheme]

Edited by Stark

A while back I compiled an Index of all the terrible things I did with my first homebrew Chapter. Just recently, I've compiled the latest version of all the terrible things I do with my current homebrew Chapter. :biggrin.: So as someone who spends more time making up stories for bits of plastic than playing games with them, here's a few quick pointers:

1. Don't try doing too much. I know first hand how tempting it is to do lots of cool stuff all at once, but most of the time it becomes messy very quickly.
  2. It's better to have one thing you love than five things you like. Sure, you may like Psykers, Terminators and Tanks, but if what you really love is guys with jump packs, then jump packs should be your army theme.
  3. Little things can do more than big things. Some of the most awesome things in homebrew creations are the tiny details.
  4. Don't be afraid to re-write, re-work or flat-out abandon things. You're trying to tell people how your Chapter is, not create a binding set of rules that must be followed. Don't cling to a bad idea just because you established it earlier on (I'm really bad at this!).

Looking forward to seeing where this goes. :)

"Grayskulls"? (Yes, that's a 'He-Man' reference.) "Doomsmiths" or "Deathsmiths", with the battle cry "We forge the doom/death of all enemies of the Imperium!"?

"I AM THE POWERRR!" :laugh.:

gallery_104866_14200_477427.gif

Doom/Death-smiths sounds dark & gritty. All models get a warhammer (just for aesthetics). "We shall forge your doom!"

A while back I compiled an Index of all the terrible things I did with my first homebrew Chapter. Just recently, I've compiled the latest version of all the terrible things I do with my current homebrew Chapter. :biggrin.: So as someone who spends more time making up stories for bits of plastic than playing games with them, here's a few quick pointers:

1. Don't try doing too much. I know first hand how tempting it is to do lots of cool stuff all at once, but most of the time it becomes messy very quickly.
  2. It's better to have one thing you love than five things you like. Sure, you may like Psykers, Terminators and Tanks, but if what you really love is guys with jump packs, then jump packs should be your army theme.
  3. Little things can do more than big things. Some of the most awesome things in homebrew creations are the tiny details.
  4. Don't be afraid to re-write, re-work or flat-out abandon things. You're trying to tell people how your Chapter is, not create a binding set of rules that must be followed. Don't cling to a bad idea just because you established it earlier on (I'm really bad at this!).

Looking forward to seeing where this goes. :smile.:

1. Yes, it is VERY tempting. Like with doing an "Iron Man" theme. Sure, it could be done in a dark grim way, but in the end, it's still "Iron Man". It would be fun, but likely limited and narrow anything I do to keep it within that boundary.

2. This is one reason I have to get the codex and start playing. I know things I can imagine how things work, but it's when the polystyrene hits the table that matters.

3. The devil is always in the details, yes. :devil:

4. I do want to keep the chapter functional, within the rules. Not that I want to make it boring, but I'm not trying to reinvent what a space marine "truly is". Again, that's why I switched gears on the comic book theme. That idea came to me before I started reading the rule book. Now, it's like, "Oh, okay. Shiny heroes may not be the best thing. Heavily armored 'Judge Dredd' types might be better."

I won't kid myself about being able to finish this overnight. It's has to evolve to be what it's going to be.

Thanks for helping me keep perspective.

Edited by Stark

I really like that colour scheme actually. :smile.:

Thanks. My wife is saying, "See? Now paint them like that!"

If I do, I will have to risk her wrath and paint a squad of...

The Patricians of Nova Anglios

med_gallery_104866_14182_19807.jpg

* edited for Bjorn Firewalker's suggestion below :wink:

Edited by Stark

Okay, okay, enough with the painter. This isn't the Forge, it's the Liber. :wink:

OUTLINE #1

Chapter Name: Grey Plastikosâ„¢
Origins: founded in 765.M41, to secure sector X-21 in Alpha-Beta region
Later History: home world threatened, Imperials refused support/assistance to the chapter
Home World: Sheboygone-Beta (destroyed)
Fleet Fortress: Battlebarge Galacticus
Beliefs: headstrong with a growing lack of respect for non-Astartes authority  
Gene-seed: Imperial Fists
Combat Doctrine: loss of their home world resulted in only assault units & their reserves surviving, 
----- their tactics have developed strongly towards a "taking the fight to the enemy"
----- fierceness & tenacity has allowed them to survive
----- they have an overwhelming hatred towards the Necrons for destroying their home world
Organization: strict adherence to the Codex Astartes, insofar as their limited resources permit
Battle-cry: "No Mercy! No Prisoners! No Survivors!"

home world threatened, Imperials refused support/assistance to the chapter

A Space Marine Chapter requires a major investment on the part of the High Lords of Terra, and becomes a major resource once it's established. I doubt the Imperium would be UNWILLING to aid a Space Marine Chapter- at the very least, other Imperial Fists descendants would offer help to fellow sons of Dorn, as the Black Templars did to the Celestial Lions on Armageddon- but it's all too easy to imagine the Imperium being UNABLE to aid this Chapter, due to Warp storms preventing reinforcements from arriving in time, or because potential reinforcements were needed to defend Titan manufactories and other higher priority worlds.

they have an overwhelming hatred towards the Necrons for destroying their home world

If the AdMech tried to prevent the destruction of a newly discovered Necron tomb, due to its desire to study the xenos' technology... Yes, your Marines may end up thinking, "If the cogboys hadn't forced us to stay our hand, we would've destroyed the Necrons before they awoke, and saved our home world!" justifying the "lack of respect for non-Astartes authority" you described.

they have an overwhelming hatred towards the Necrons for destroying their home world

If the AdMech tried to prevent the destruction of a newly discovered Necron tomb, due to its desire to study the xenos' technology... Yes, your Marines may end up thinking, "If the cogboys hadn't forced us to stay our hand, we would've destroyed the Necrons before they awoke, and saved our home world!" justifying the "lack of respect for non-Astartes authority" you described.

Yea, I can see the logic in not alienating the chapter entirely from the Imperial Bureaucracy. "No Exterminatus for me thanks, I'm driving!" :teehee:

I like the Necron tomb and AdMech idea. It appeals to the faux-archaeologist in me. It also gives my army an Imperial organization to have conflict with. It may also create a situation where my chapter doesn't always get the best equipment or supplies from the AdMech? (This can reflect to my own lack of flyer and tank models.)

It's not too cliché to have a tomb on the chapter's home world itself? (I know, it's 40K. The universe thrives on dramatic clichés.)

I wanted a reason to make my chapter fleet-based. I could make them already fleet-based and perhaps this world was one where they recruited from. Losing the world because of the AdMech's dawdling would be felt just as seriously. Which do you think?

I think the ideas are acceptable. Have you decided on a name yet?

I'm thinking on three so far:

1. War Machines (yea, a bit iron man - it is a cool name)

2. Iron Templars (in part because they may be fleet-based and I'm planning to practice with their rules first)

3. Indomitors (I like it translates to "untamed" and "wild" - yea, it's also a variant of the Guilliman crusade's name)

The red pads & skull symbol reminds me of the AdMech symbol now. I'm not sure if I'll keep it considering any animosity between my chapter and the AdMech. Although, it can also be a twist on them NOT liking the AdMech and others assume there is a connection with them because of the symbol.

I could go off "half-cogged" and use a variant of the AdMech symbol - maybe lose the red and make the pad white. It works for Iron Templars too.

med_gallery_104866_14182_73537.jpg

Edited by Stark

All sound pretty good. I like 'Indomitors' if only it sounds unique, though I keep wanting to say "Indominators".

Thank you. Yea, with units names like contemptor, redemptor, intercessor, aggressor, terminator, etc. it's hard NOT to do a double-take. I had to check the codex again thinking, "is there already something named that?"

If a future model is called an "Indominator", I'll be committed to getting a few. :laugh.:

I personally favor "Iron Templars".

It fits the basic 40k two-name, adjective/noun, form. 

"Iron Templars" conveys an immediate understanding in the mind's eye of the reader: 'tough knights'. 

I'd say it sounds almost a bit too Black Templar-ish, (especially with that color scheme) but y'know, if the Blood Ravens can go through life fine without agitating all the BA and RG fans, why not?

I have a solution!

The chapter name will be "Indomitors", and one of the company nicknames will be "Iron Templars"

After all, it's too soon to start "two" armies, isn't it? :wink:

[edited for the final name solution]

Edited by Stark

Perhaps add some metal / iron colours to make them look less like Black Templars? Shoulder trim and helmet are two obvious places to try.

I was just playing with the painter again. :biggrin.:

For a little color to distinguish them from the renowned Black Templars, I may use a helmet change and the designated company trimmings.

[edited for a 3rd company tactical marine, sergeant, veteran, & veteran sergeant]

sml_gallery_104866_14191_13548.jpg sml_gallery_104866_14191_94592.jpg sml_gallery_104866_14191_73335.jpg sml_gallery_104866_14191_34652.jpg <--- click to enlarge images

Edited by Stark