Stark's Forge: Shut Down

Stark

Hail, Battle Brothers & Battle Sisters - Masters and Mistresses of the Forge,
WELCOME!
med_gallery_104866_14191_19793.jpg
I'm new to the game 40K and the B&C, and I want to build a Space Marine army. I'll be acquiring a codex & some models this weekend. Meanwhile, I've been dipping into the various forums and gaining inspiration (and spending too much time using the online painter).
Everyone wants to build terrific models and give them fantastic paint jobs, but I know my skills are yet to be tested. I hope to learn from all of you and apply what I learn to the hobby crafts.
But, we all have to start somewhere, which is why I'm here.
This will be my "placeholder" post, to be edited with the updated links and pictures of my models.
The Grey Plastikos Chapter has now become [REDACTED]
(images & name are subject to change :wink: )
sml_gallery_104866_14182_31520.jpg <--- click to enlarge
CURRENT B&C MODELLING EVENTS:

gallery_104866_14198_32941.jpg

Carefully, I checked the GW website.

Cautiously, I planned my purchases of a few models (probably just the "Getting Started!" box) and a codex.

Unsuspectingly, I visited another hobby shop to get some brushes and model tools. - not the Warhammer one.

The shop also had Warhammer stuff. Yea!

Did I spend a little more than I expected to?

Mayyybe I did, but it was only one box and a codex as I originally planned. :rolleyes:

med_gallery_104866_14191_120149.jpg

Was it wrong of me? Did I do a bad thing?

(I could've purchased three "Getting Started!" boxes and I still wouldn't have the selection of models as this box!)

I'll go back to the Warhammer shop. I promise I will.

I still need to get some glue and paint.

That's actually a pretty nice starting point.

A Captain, Command Squad, 3 Tactical Squads, 2 Assault Squads, a Devastator Squad, and a Dreadnaught is pretty good core to build on. It's going to be nice seeing your progress on them!

Haha - I understand the feeling... I think we've all been there...

i never thought I'd be the one telling my wife, "...but, honey, it was a discount. Look at the money I saved!" :laugh.:

That's actually a pretty nice starting point.

A Captain, Command Squad, 3 Tactical Squads, 2 Assault Squads, a Devastator Squad, and a Dreadnaught is pretty good core to build on. It's going to be nice seeing your progress on them!

Thanks! This box only has 1 commander, 1 dreadnought, 3 tactical squads, 1 assault squad, & 1 devastator squad = 42 models. It actually does say '42 models' on the box. Too bad it wasn't the one you mentioned, but I can't complain. For a moment I thought I got shorted. :sweat:

med_gallery_104866_14191_825920.jpg

The shop manager (not Warhammer) told me the box was no longer available. I knew it was about the same price as two "Getting started" sets (which only have 24 models between them), so I had to grab it. I have to do some Valentine's Day things this week, so I'm looking to start building soon after.

Is "Grey Plastikos" a joke or are you´re really going to call them that? Colour-scheme looks good at the template...

Yes, "Grey Plastikos™" is definitely a joke.

I started calling them that as I'm new to the hobby game. I found the B&C painter and couldn't resist doing a full model grey scheme. I've no idea what I'm going to call them yet or whose army rules I would use. I started this thread here as others have to show my model assembly and one in Liber for writing an "Index Astartes". I just started reading the codex to get more background on the chapters. I would like to do most of them eventually, but I need to build one army first to start playing. I'm going to start with a DIY (most likely) so I can test the different rules out as I learn this game. If I had the extra resources and time, it would be funny to paint an army 'model grey' like the Grey Plastikos™ and give them a comical model-related background.

Yes, "Grey Plastikos™" is definitely a joke.

I started calling them that as I'm new to the hobby game. I found the B&C painter and couldn't resist doing a full model grey scheme. I've no idea what I'm going to call them yet or whose army rules I would use. I started this thread here as others have to show my model assembly and one in Liber for writing an "Index Astartes". I just started reading the codex to get more background on the chapters. I would like to do most of them eventually, but I need to build one army first to start playing. I'm going to start with a DIY (most likely) so I can test the different rules out as I learn this game. If I had the extra resources and time, it would be funny to paint an army 'model grey' like the Grey Plastikos™ and give them a comical model-related background. 

You think about using Primaris? As you are new to it anyways, you could do an Ultima- Founding chapter (or one heavily reinforced by Primaris).             

So you´d have a bit of a shortcut without havinge to read each and everything what happened so far (depending how much you want to invest in fluff of course). 

Not that I personally like Primaris that much, but I think, if you make them quite young, it would be sufficient to know only the important stuff from the new storyline. 

Edit: So Iron Hands successors now, I guess? ^^

So you´d have a bit of a shortcut without having to read each and everything what happened so far (depending how much you want to invest in fluff of course). You think about using Primaris? As you are new to it anyways, you could do an Ultima- Founding chapter (or one heavily reinforced by Primaris).             

Not that I personally like Primaris that much, but I think, if you make them quite young, it would be sufficient to know only the important stuff from the new storyline. 

Edit: So Iron Hands successors now, I guess? ^^

I have enough standard marines for now. I'll be adding primaris marines next, once my demi-company is built. 

:laugh.: Yea, I edited a few times debating on the name.

Sorry, they're not Iron Hand successors (at least not until I use their rules).

My final solution to my quandry is: keep both names!

The Chapter's name will be "Indomitors".

One of the company nicknames will be the "Iron Templars". :laugh.:

[edited for the final naming solution]

I was just playing with the painter again. :biggrin.:

For a little color to distinguish them from the renowned Black Templars, I may use a helmet change and the designated company trimmings.

[edited for a 3rd company tactical marine, sergeant, veteran, & veteran sergeant]

sml_gallery_104866_14191_13548.jpg sml_gallery_104866_14191_94592.jpg sml_gallery_104866_14191_73335.jpg sml_gallery_104866_14191_34652.jpg <--- click to enlarge images

Have you thought about changing colours on arms/legs? Even with the company colours on the pad rims, they're still very BTish to me.

I'd recommend looking at picking an accent colour and using that for the arms, or for the thighs. Possibly on the helmets as well. If you stick with 'Iron Templars' for the chapter name, a metal could be a good accent.

Have you thought about changing colours on arms/legs? Even with the company colours on the pad rims, they're still very BTish to me.

I'd recommend looking at picking an accent colour and using that for the arms, or for the thighs. Possibly on the helmets as well. If you stick with 'Iron Templars' for the chapter name, a metal could be a good accent.

I thought about doing it at first.

In my index astartes post, I mentioned considering an 'Iron Man' theme. Two were for Iron Man & War Machine.

sml_gallery_104866_14182_111995.jpg sml_gallery_104866_14182_37805.jpg <--- click to enlarge images

I'm not sure if I can do detail like this when I paint my models.

When I build a few, I'll try it on a test model & see how it goes. Who knows? :unsure.:

The War Machine paint scheme looks great, and will distinguish your Chapter from the Black Templars. I think the Iron Man scheme is too flashy, but it may be useful for your Honor Guards.

"The Honor Guards give their lives for our Chapter's leaders, as the Primarch gave his for the Emperor. For their service, they are authorized to wear golden armor, like the Primarch's own; the red-painted gauntlets and boots represent the blood that stained Dorn's own as the Primarch fought the traitors on Holy Terra and aboard the Vengeful Spirit, leaving the enemy dead piled high at his feet."

If you prefer the original black scheme, go with that, IMO. There are only so many colours in the world and there’s a chance you’ll overlap with an existing chapter to some extent, regardless of what you choose. I mean, we could equally say that the Black Templars are too close to the Raven Guard in terms of colour choices.

That said, there’s nothing wrong with the “Warmachine” inspired scheme either, but I’d agree the “Iron Man” one feels a bit much. Not that red and gold isn’t a classic combo, I just don’t think it seems right for this force.

I’m not a big fan of having whole units of an army in a completely different colour scheme (personal taste), but a compromise with Bjorn’s suggestion might be to adapt your Warmachine scheme with gold panels (rather than Gunmetal) for Honour Guard, while retaining the overall black look.

The War Machine paint scheme looks great, and will distinguish your Chapter from the Black Templars. I think the Iron Man scheme is too flashy, but it may be useful for your Honor Guards.

"The Honor Guards give their lives for our Chapter's leaders, as the Primarch gave his for the Emperor. For their service, they are authorized to wear golden armor, like the Primarch's own; the red-painted gauntlets and boots represent the blood that stained Dorn's own as the Primarch fought the traitors on Holy Terra and aboard the Vengeful Spirit, leaving the enemy dead piled high at his feet."

Oh, the irony! :teehee:

Introduced to the game about a week ago, considered doing an Iron Man army, read through the rule book, read posts at the B&C, thought to make my army more grim to fit the 40k universe, and now I'm back to thinking of an Iron Man army again. Rrrgh!

I blame the B&C painter. :tongue.:

Thanks for the "Honour Guard" idea with Dorn standing in the blood of traitors. I love that. :thumbsup:

If you prefer the original black scheme, go with that, IMO. There are only so many colours in the world and there’s a chance you’ll overlap with an existing chapter to some extent, regardless of what you choose. I mean, we could equally say that the Black Templars are too close to the Raven Guard in terms of colour choices.

That said, there’s nothing wrong with the “Warmachine” inspired scheme either, but I’d agree the “Iron Man” one feels a bit much. Not that red and gold isn’t a classic combo, I just don’t think it seems right for this force.

I’m not a big fan of having whole units of an army in a completely different colour scheme (personal taste), but a compromise with Bjorn’s suggestion might be to adapt your Warmachine scheme with gold panels (rather than Gunmetal) for Honour Guard, while retaining the overall black look.

As I said, I blame the B&C painter. It's one thing to have a dozen ideas, but then to quickly see them and you can start creating a dozen more? "Ay, chihuahua!"

Finally having some models in my hands makes me wonder how skillfully I'll be able to paint them. I have to build them first too. For all of my posting this past week, in here and with my Index Astartes at the Liber, I'm going to have to resist & buckle down and take time building. Hopefully I can have a few units to play with by next week. 

I am beginning to understand just how immersive this game & hobby can be. It's a lot of fun. 

Yea, I agree there shouldn't be too much disparity in an army's appearance. 

Your black & gold suggestion would fit nicer if I used the War Machine scheme. Or, if using Black Templar rules, I could make the Emperor's Champion red & gold like Iron Man - with only one model like that it would be less distracting to the eye. 

How I paint will be a deciding factor. I am leaning towards a predominant black scheme with a few touches of color. I'm not committing to a founding chapter scheme yet until I see what rules and play style I develop. I hope I can do this quicker to have a painted army to play with - not that my friends would mind as some have 'grey' armies. 

I do appreciate and enjoy all of the advice and encouragement the members here at the B&C have to offer. Thanks!

Well I am late to the Party but kust finished reading your first thread about where to start.

I was going to suggest doing a custom (DYI) chapter. Then you can play with whatever chapter traits you feel like until you find one you really like.

As much as I really like the lore and paint schemes of some of the original chapters I don't like the hard restrictions on rules and characters.

Great start to the log, sounds like a cool Chapter idea. I must admit, I also really like the 'War Machine' scheme. :happy.:

Thank you! I may not escape the Iron Man theme after all. So many possibilities, so few models. :laugh.:

Well I am late to the Party but kust finished reading your first thread about where to start.

I was going to suggest doing a custom (DYI) chapter. Then you can play with whatever chapter traits you feel like until you find one you really like.

As much as I really like the lore and paint schemes of some of the original chapters I don't like the hard restrictions on rules and characters.

Thanks, yea that's exactly why I started leaning in that direction. I like the look of a few Founding chapters, and I want to respect the rules for each. Although, as I understand it, one can still build an army in any fashion with 'vanilla' marines - the unique rules are like 'added seasoning'. 

So, as you said, I'm going the DIY route to let me test the rules as I also get to learn how to play the game. I have a list of units & models unique to the chapters. Ultramarines (with 7) have the biggest list, followed by Black Templars (with 5), everyone else (with 1) and Iron Hands (with 0). 

My DIY general models may have one color scheme while the other army specific models may have a complimentary color scheme. I could push the Iron Man theme further if I could somehow rationalize using the different army rules like "programming". I.e., Chapter Master Antonius Stark says, "Techmarine Jarvis, begin loading the Templar Protocols."

:teehee:

I've been playing around with the B&C painter again. Another variant on the Iron Man/War Machine theme. Options are good. Okay, I need help.

Standard marine, Sergeant, Veteran, & Veteran Sergeant:

sml_gallery_104866_14191_84883.jpg sml_gallery_104866_14191_10343.jpg sml_gallery_104866_14191_106478.jpg sml_gallery_104866_14191_121129.jpg <--- click to enlarge image

To help get me aboard the "Assembly Train", I've decided to jump aboard this:

gallery_104866_14198_32941.jpg

Here are links to the individual forums taking part in the event:

Black Templars modelling event

Blood Angels modelling event

I'm going to enter on the side of the Black Templars, being the army rules I plan to learn first. It's a strictly build (with optional conversions) event.

There are seven categories that start on the following dates:

• 19th February - HQ units
  • 26th February - Troops units
  • 5th March - Elites units
  • 12th March - Fast Attack units
  • 19th March - Heavy Support units
  • 26th March - Dedicated Transports units
  • 2nd April - Flyers units

I'll still have plenty of time to hammer out my paint scheme by the time it's over in two months. :woot:

+ + Blood & Zeal 2018 FAQ + + 

Q: Can I work on my model in advance?
A: Other than unboxing, removing mold release agent, gathering bits, etc, no. As this is a build event, we want the focus to be on the actual build and not the painting side of things. Should you wish to submit an entry that requires stripping, then they will need to be stripped and broken up into components (where possible) in advance. Should you have any queries, please send a PM to Jolemai or Acebaur

1. Unboxing. Check.

2. Removing mold release agents. Che.. wait, what? Okay, quick search tells me to wash my model parts. I never did that before. I've read to use anything from alcohol to warm water & mild detergent. What's the preferred choice?

3. Gathering bits. Hmm. I don't have anything other than the models themselves. I'll have to see what I can do about this one if I want to try any converting. 

I´m not super excited about the Iron Man thing, tbh. But I am also not that of a fan of Iron Man, so... :rolleyes:

I honestly don´t get why the black scheme with the white filling is "too Black Templar", it´s fine to me.

I mean, the helmet is clearly different and Black Templars don´t really have a super-innovative colourscheme anyways. I wouldn´t have thought "Black Templars", if people here had not said so. Maybe just change one knee-cap or so to grey and no one would take them for BT anymore, I think.

I like the colour-variations, though I actually dislike the green (therfor I really like the orange). But that´s just taste, I guess.

2. Removing mold release agents. Che.. wait, what? Okay, quick search tells me to wash my model parts. I never did that before. I've read to use anything from alcohol to warm water & mild detergent. What's the preferred choice?

You can ignore this, as all your kits are plastic and release agent is a “feature” of working with resin kits. I’ve never once had to wash a GW plastic kit in 15+ years.

I like the colour scheme, and if you do too, then go for it! :)

2) Washing

As Halandaar says, you don't need to wash plastic kits. Resin and metals though, I would.

Also, after you've assembled them, I would recommend a soapy rinse to get any dust/shavings/cat hairs/finger grease off your models before you prime them - and I do this with every model regardless of material.

3) Gathering Bits

You will already have loads more options, weapons, and accessories than you can use - just from the kits you've got. With some clever planning, you can redistribute these (or keep them aside for later) to make up different squads or different weapon fits in future. At this stage, I wouldn't worry too much about involved conversions - a few parts swaps, sure, but that's it. Just get the hang of things first, and get some models built and painted.

Archived