Stark's Forge: Shut Down

Stark

I´m not super excited about the Iron Man thing, tbh. But I am alos not that of a fan of Iron Man, so... :rolleyes:

I honestly don´t get why the black scheme with the white filling is "too Black Templar", it´s fine to me.

I mean, the helmet is clearly different and Black Templars don´t really have a super-innovative colourscheme anyways. I wouldn´t have thought "Black Templars", if people here had not said so. Maybe just change one knee-cap or so to grey and no one would take them for BT anymore, I think.

I like the colour-variations, though I actually dislike the green (therfor I really like the orange). But that´s just taste, I guess.

I started out with the Iron Man theme, but I don't feel hooked to it. 

When I was first introduced to 40K, seeing space marines in their battle armor conjured images of Iron Man and other cyber-robotic sci-fi themes. I thought it would be cool, but as I read the rule book, I started thinking it would be good not to get hooked into a theme and instead make one of my own. Then I found the B&C painter and became addicted to it - it's a great tool but must be used with caution. I started tweaking so many schemes it made me dizzy. A part of me is fully aware that just because I like a theme on the painter, when the brush hits the plastic, I may not be so fond of it later. Heck, I may not be able to do the scheme justice until I get more experience painting. 

Doing a black-based scheme, I thought, may be easier to get a painted army to the table. There seem to be a few that aren't much different, like Black Templars, Iron Hands, and Raven Guard (forgive me, as an initiate I'm aware there are differences overall - it's just that they're very similar to me).

Who knows? I could save the Iron Man schemes for an AdMech army or even Necrons!

I'll have to 'volunteer' a few models for testing. :wink:

You can ignore this, as all your kits are plastic and release agent is a “feature” of working with resin kits. I’ve never once had to wash a GW plastic kit in 15+ years.

Thanks. Yea, I thought it might be something like that but with anything mass produced nowadays I figured it wouldn't hurt if I had to. I'll definitely keep this in mind if I get any resin kits. I heard of this magical place of such models, but I must speak of it only in whispers when my wife isn't around - it's called Forge World :teehee: !

So you said you are new to the game, do you know much about the setting? We have quite a few lore masters around, if you have questions.

I'm familiar with the setting from the rule book, space marine codex, and skimming through the Hall of the B&C so far. Yes, there are many in these forums writing so much about their armies and histories. If it wouldn't burn out my brain, I'd love a brain socket to download the B&C directly. I may look at the Black Library, as I've seen recommendations for a few of their books hereabouts. 

I like the colour scheme, and if you do too, then go for it! :smile.:

2) Washing

As Halandaar says, you don't need to wash plastic kits. Resin and metals though, I would.

Also, after you've assembled them, I would recommend a soapy rinse to get any dust/shavings/cat hairs/finger grease off your models before you prime them - and I do this with every model regardless of material.

3) Gathering Bits

You will already have loads more options, weapons, and accessories than you can use - just from the kits you've got. With some clever planning, you can redistribute these (or keep them aside for later) to make up different squads or different weapon fits in future. At this stage, I wouldn't worry too much about involved conversions - a few parts swaps, sure, but that's it. Just get the hang of things first, and get some models built and painted.

Thank you. Hopefully my painting will do the schemes justice. 

I hadn't thought of washing the models afterwards - cat hairs are very possible. I'll do as you suggest. 

Yea, I'm not going to go for any crazy conversions - no "Voltron Guilliman" with Calgar getting into the cockpit, "...and I'll form the HEAD!" 

I'll ask my friends if they have any bits they'd want to share. I'm debating if I want to use all bare heads on a squad for a more visceral battle look or not. I'm bouncing a few ideas around - if not for the Blood & Zeal now then maybe for later.

As always, thank you all for your suggestions and ideas. 

2. Removing mold release agents. Che.. wait, what? Okay, quick search tells me to wash my model parts. I never did that before. I've read to use anything from alcohol to warm water & mild detergent. What's the preferred choice?

You can ignore this, as all your kits are plastic and release agent is a “feature” of working with resin kits. I’ve never once had to wash a GW plastic kit in 15+ years.

Every single product produced in a mold has a mold release agent on it unless it's been washed in the factory (which, typically, only happens if it gets assembled at the factory. Model kits definitely do not get washed).

That being said, it's not nearly as bad as it used to be; 20 years ago, some car model kits almost felt slimy out of the box because of the release agent. Happily, that hasn't been the case in a long time.

It's still not a bad idea to wash them, though. It won't hurt anything (provided you don't lose anything down the drain), and it will help the primer stick to the plastic a bit better. Of course, handling the bits with your fingers puts your oils on them, too, so it doesn't make a large amount of difference.

For what it's worth, I never bothered to wash any GW products, either (including metals) and I haven't had issues, but I know others have. 

... That's a lot of words to say it probably doesn't really matter.

I´m not super excited about the Iron Man thing, tbh. But I am alos not that of a fan of Iron Man, so... :rolleyes:

I started out with the Iron Man theme, but I don't feel hooked to it. 

When I was first introduced to 40K, seeing space marines in their battle armor conjured images of Iron Man and other cyber-robotic sci-fi themes. I thought it would be cool, but as I read the rule book, I started thinking it would be good not to get hooked into a theme and instead make one of my own. Then I found the B&C painter and became addicted to it - it's a great tool but must be used with caution. I started tweaking so many schemes it made me dizzy. A part of me is fully aware that just because I like a theme on the painter, when the brush hits the plastic, I may not be so fond of it later. Heck, I may not be able to do the scheme justice until I get more experience painting.

Well, for start, Marines of course aren´t super-rich, tech-genius playboys of course! :biggrin.: As a rule of thumb how savvy you are with technology within the grimdark human sociecty is  indicated by  how least able you are to someday having sex, from the Techmarine, how maybe could, if he wanted too (but is totally uninterested anyways) to the Tech-Magos how might feel very annoyed about the possiblity of still having some tiny flesh-segments on his metal-body.

Ehm stupid jokes aside, I actually liked the dark-grey/ green scheme the best. And this one certaintly didn´t look like Black Templars in any way! (At least not, if you are familiar with 40k...)

I completed my vow for the Blood and Zeal - HQ Stratagem.

med_gallery_104866_14198_51717.jpg

Yea, this is my space marine commander; there are many like it but this one is mine. :biggrin.:

I know it's not a work of art like many other models I've seen around here, but it;s my first. At least I didn't put the helmet on backwards.

Part of me wants to replace the claw with the sword. I guess I'll need to get another model. :wink:

• 2 months later...

Archived