Best Command Squad Loadout?

ShadowCore67

It's a broad question: depends on what kind of list and legion you are running. Command squads are expensive so you really want to equip them in a way that capitalizes on your legion specific rules, Rite of War and accompanying Praetor.

I.e: for my Emperor's Children, I usually run Eidolon as my HQ. His Command Squad would be optimized for striking at initiative (power sword/charnabal sabers, shields), with jump packs.

If you tell us what your army looks like, perhaps we can make better recommendations.

It's a broad question: depends on what kind of list and legion you are running. Command squads are expensive so you really want to equip them in a way that capitalizes on your legion specific rules, Rite of War and accompanying Praetor.

I.e: for my Emperor's Children, I usually run Eidolon as my HQ. His Command Squad would be optimized for striking at initiative (power sword/charnabal sabers, shields), with jump packs.

If you tell us what your army looks like, perhaps we can make better recommendations.

Specifically for me I play Dark Angels. Now I plan on having artificer, cataphractii, and jetike command squads to play with. I know for the artificer squad and jetbikes, combat shields are a must. And for the jetbikes, bring acid rounds obviously. And all 3 squads get combi-stasis. But aside from that I'm not sure how to kit any of them out for melee. I want them to be able to deal with 2+ armour but I also want them to be able to sweep through lesser squads. So maybe 3 power swords and 2 power fists? I was thinking about charnabal sabres, but I'm not sure how I feel about depending on rending for ap2, and RAW, sabres don't count as swords for my legion rules.

For IF:

Storm Shields and Chainfists.

Add the Stone Gauntlet RoW and a Primus medicae and you have a very resilient unit!

I’m planning on running a different build which is more applicable to other Legions:

All: AA, MB, Combat shields, 4 x power axe, 1 x power fist.

Honestly you pay too much for jetbikes. With a native 2+ paying again for it is a dump of points. Regular bikes are not much worse, and a command squad is a cc squad, if you want to shoot just bring a regular Jetbike squad.

That said, power swords and combat shields are not a bad option, as are the stasis grenades so consider that for them.

With the Ravenwing Rules, the Jetbikes are expensive but become very powerful because of access to acid shell heavy bolters and the like combined with things like Mastery of the Blade, Rad Grenades and being able to NOPE off the board and redeploy.

For Alpha Legion, Charnabail sabers with preferred enemy have a ~20% chance to rend with each attack, which is pretty fun. 

Emperor's Children have the initiative to make great use of power swords to blenderize units, and makes this unit basically a better and cheaper version of Palatine Blades and Phoenix Terminators (which is sad for these units, but at least you get to use the palatine models for your Command Squad).

Ideally you don't want to be going against Sv2+ units with these guys, as those tend to be superior combatants (suzerain at initiative, multi-wound caraphractii, etc). A possible exception would be Thousand Sons Raptora, who would effectively be Cataphract terminators when in melee.

I am starting to build my Iron Warriors Command Squad soon and wonder how.

It's for Zone Mortalis only so no bikes or Jump Packs for them. That much I know. ;)

Combat Shields are a given and Power Weapons as well.

Any opinions on Volkite Chargers?

Combi-grenade launchers in SM for Shredding Frag Grenade shots (small blasts in ZM) would be decent since they aren one-use anymore and it gives you the secindary Krak Grenade shot some some light/medium AT if you require it.

Combi-grenade launchers in SM for Shredding Frag Grenade shots (small blasts in ZM) would be decent since they aren one-use anymore and it gives you the secindary Krak Grenade shot some some light/medium AT if you require it.

Sadly command squad can't get combi-weapons (unless in terminator armor)

Best parts of command squad are ws5 and 2+ save. So power weapon and combat shield seams the best choice.

I am starting to build my Iron Warriors Command Squad soon and wonder how.

It's for Zone Mortalis only so no bikes or Jump Packs for them. That much I know. :wink:

Combat Shields are a given and Power Weapons as well.

Any opinions on Volkite Chargers?

By power weapons, you mean power axes right? Might as well take advantage of that sweet 2+ artificer armour. Volkite Chargers are very cool but you're paying 50 points to get a volley off before charging? Perhaps this is a tad too expensive? I like Volkite Chargers on Tactical Support squads or Terminators better.

How would you go about equipping an Honour Guard in an Orbital Assault List (or would you not include them at all)? I play Space Wolves and this is the current squad I have planned (not played since 5th ed so out of the loop):

Praetor

Tartaros armour

Iron halo

Paragon Blade

Combi-Weapon

Honour Guard

Banner Bearer

Grenade Harness

Combi-Weapon

Power Weapon

3 Chosen

Plasma Blaster

2 Combi-Weapons

Power Weapon

Chainfist

Thunder Hammer

Anvillus Dreadclaw

Now in my 2000 point starter force that's over a quarter of my points in 6 models which concerns me. But I'm also not sure where to put a Praetor in a OA list as you want him in combat.

I plan on magnetising weapons to make them quite adaptable depending on the force I'm assembling (I fully intend on being able to represent most methods of Legion warfare in my army by changing a few bits of kit).

I wonder what miniature you take for Combi-Grenade-Launchers?

You could also use ones from the FW terminator packs (you get two combi-weapons per set so not ideal for mass kitbashing).

How are people modelling Terminator Standard Bearers?

I'd take the Banner hand from the Command Set and glue it on.

You could also use ones from the FW terminator packs (you get two combi-weapons per set so not ideal for mass kitbashing).

How are people modelling Terminator Standard Bearers?

I just picked up a banner from an old space marine box set (the kind that you were supposed to glue on top of the power-pack of a Sergeant/Captain) and glued it on the top armour of my IF Cataphractii. I haven't painted them yet so sorry for lack of pics :S

• 2 months later...

Sorry for threadomancy.

I'm building a command squad for my Night Lords, and was wondering if I should go shields + sabres or power weapons? I want to get a fist in there so they're a little scary. They'll be able to go with a dread claw or maybe surf ontop of a Storm Eagle?

Then I'll make a mixture of weapons, with sabres, power axes and a power fist. Just love the look of swordsmen!

It also depends on what they're most likely to encounter and if they're in PA or TDA.

If theyre in PA and its mostly 2+ saves BUT you want to make the most out of the NL Initiative Bonus, then Charnabal Sabres are better than Power Swords due to Rending; do try to keep at least 1-2 power fists in a 5 man squad where possible, however, since S8 Ap2 is always a good thing to have.

If they're in TDA, then just go for all Power Fists at that point.

You should also, imo, prioritize getting Command Squads an invulnerable where/when-ever possible regardless of weapon choice.

++

Now, if theyre going to be wading into 3+ Saves then Power Swords. Make the most out of that initiative bonus.

4+ Saves, a Power Maul is better; sometimes even when faced with 2+ saves (barring power fists).

• 2 weeks later...

I advocate for always having a power fist on the banner, since you're not losing much and you couldn't get the additional attack anyway.

Personally I alway put on shields and either Fists or Axes+Bombs, since I'm White Scars they're on bike but I actually think they do better on a normal bike rather than a jetbike. They're meant to be a melee squad and I've found it's best to lean into taking out terminators and counsels since you cover regular guys at the same time.

I also tried Sabres due to high attack volume but was unimpressed when without a Chaplain. 

Archived