Talonmaster Jetbike Conversion My Take.

Brother Bish

Greetings Brothers,

Following in the footsteps of Rogue Crusader, I also had the idea to use the Custodes Jetbikes and convert some counts as Ravenwing Talonmasters. I took a different route than Rogue Crusader as I wanted to use Ravenwing Bikers and he went with a Primaris marine conversion. I also wanted to put both assault cannons on mine.

The hardest part was getting the foot rest in the right position. The Jetbike itself is only a little larger than Corvex, however it's laid out for a Custodes size pilot. So I moved the foot rest back and in a bit, then shaved down the engine stuff beneath the seat and thinned down the seat and the legs just a tad so that it all went together. I also ended up using bike handlebars from the Ravenwing Command set. That also took a bit of work to get fit right as well but it wasn't too hard. This was kind of a trial and error model so I don't have good photos of the steps, but since I am going to be doing another and possibly a Sammael conversion, I hope to do a step by step now that I know what I need to do.

http://chamber42.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/img_7509.jpg

http://chamber42.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/img_7507.jpg

http://chamber42.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/img_7505.jpg

http://chamber42.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/img_7513-5.jpg

http://chamber42.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/img_7511-1.jpg

http://chamber42.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2018/02/img_7510.jpg

Looks good! I prefer this one since its a classic marine instead of a primaris. Heavy bolters fit in perfectly and asscans are hanging well. Well done!

The only problem I have with jetbikes for talon master is that they detract from Sammy on Corvex looking special. For myself I decided to make Talonmaster from Javelin LS

Thanks everyone. There is definitely a lot of filing to get things to fit so it's not just a quick put together, but it's not as bad as it could be. I have not tried the legs from the Command Squad Kit but I know the feet are angled differently so there may be some green stuff involved in making them look right on the foot rests. I may try that when I make my Sammael.

Btw the heavy bolter bits are from the Stormfang kit. They fit perfectly in those spots with just a little bit of filing

You could also potentially attach the assault cannons like they do on the Ravenwing Sprue, but it would hang down a bit lower and wasn't as sleek as I wanted.

The only problem I have with jetbikes for talon master is that they detract from Sammy on Corvex looking special. For myself I decided to make Talonmaster from Javelin LS

I totally understand, I've been thinking of how I can make Sammaels a bit more unique. It also definitely stretches the fluff a bit hehe.

My thought was that once the Custodes started fighting again, instead of just guarding the Emperor, and brought their Jetbikes to the battlefield, Sammael decided the cat was out of the bag and the reality is that the Dark Angels have a small horde of various jetbike patterns that they use to fix and recreate Corvex if it's ever destroyed.

I love the Javelin btw, I had thought about that too before they announced the Custodes Jetbikes. If you have photos of yours I'd love to see them.

I totally understand, I've been thinking of how I can make Sammaels a bit more unique. It also definitely stretches the fluff a bit hehe.

My thought was that once the Custodes started fighting again, instead of just guarding the Emperor, and brought their Jetbikes to the battlefield, Sammael decided the cat was out of the bag and the reality is that the Dark Angels have a small horde of various jetbike patterns that they use to fix and recreate Corvex if it's ever destroyed.

I love the Javelin btw, I had thought about that too before they announced the Custodes Jetbikes. If you have photos of yours I'd love to see them.

Im away from my cave right now, but will be back in a bit more than a month. I have my own log on this forum but I have terribly neglected it. I will start uploading photos and organizing everything once I'm back. Got to set up a decent photo booth too, all the photos I have are quite terrible.

This is fantastic, I'm surprised at how well the robed legs look, they seem to fit quite well as if they were made for that saddle. The rider is a good size in relation to the jet bike as well. I may place the assault cannons in the weapon housing for mine with a trimmed down compact version of the heavy bolter beside it,as well as a servo skull linked to his power pack and some other instrumentation to represent the battlefield recon/targeting nature of the talon master. That's the theory anyway, so will see how it pans out when I have the model in my hand.

This is fantastic, I'm surprised at how well the robed legs look, they seem to fit quite well as if they were made for that saddle. The rider is a good size in relation to the jet bike as well. I may place the assault cannons in the weapon housing for mine with a trimmed down compact version of the heavy bolter beside it,as well as a servo skull linked to his power pack and some other instrumentation to represent the battlefield recon/targeting nature of the talon master. That's the theory anyway, so will see how it pans out when I have the model in my hand.

Thanks! That sounds great, I had toyed with several placements, as there are a lot of places you could put the armaments. I really liked how Rogue Crusader switched the wings to the back and so had planned on doing that too, but then after bluetacking everything in various configurations I liked this the best aesthetically. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Assault Cannon looks on yours though! I think it could look really good.

For tournament purposes, how does the size of the Custodes Jetbike compare to regular Land Speeder? The conversion is cool and all and looks awesome, but before I venture similar way I want to make sure it stands up to "counts-as" standards.

Thanks!

Rogue Crusader wrote in his thread:

I did a bit of measuring and the jet bike is the same length as the landspeeder (90mm) so there's no difference in how measuring would be impacted if you are measuring from the front of the model. The jetbike is 40mm at it's widest point where the landspeeder is  80mm when you include the wings (the hull is 43mm wide), if i place them each on the attack bike base it has the same footprint with the exception that the landspeeder's wings stick out about 4-5mm on each side. The height of the bike from top to bottom is a bit taller than the landspeeder so it's narrower but presents a taller profile if you are using true line of sight but the front section is much bulkier and taller compared to sloped nose on the speeder. Sure somebody that's worried about competitive play can complain about the size but I don't do competitive play so I'm not worried about it.

People that are that heavily concerned about a practically non-existant advantage probably aren't going to be ranking so well in the sportsmanship categories, nice conversion/painting and being a fun opponent has it's merits and often people get too focused only on the game outcome & performance. I'm somebody that's almost exclusively into the hobby side of 40k so if I were to go to an event I'd much rather people be talking about how cool and unique my army is and could care less about how it performs in game, everyone has their own motivations and goals for what they want out of an event my interests aren't tied to winning.

Dude, seeing this conversion, I can't help but think that this is the way the model should have been designed from the get go. It is gorgeous, and definetly makes more sense to me in the overall sense of the army, for the talon master to be like this, over a speeder.

Just to be clear, the hull is entirely Custodes jetbike, and it's a plastic kit?

Yes it's entirely Custodes Jetbike and it's all plastic. The only bits that are not from the Vertus Praetors kit are the weapons, the Marine itself, the handlebars, the Ravenwing symbols and purity seals.

Thanks! That sounds great, I had toyed with several placements, as there are a lot of places you could put the armaments. I really liked how Rogue Crusader switched the wings to the back and so had planned on doing that too, but then after bluetacking everything in various configurations I liked this the best aesthetically. I'm looking forward to seeing how the Assault Cannon looks on yours though! I think it could look really good.

Archived