Late/post Heresy theme SWs help

So I've decided I want to start over with my Space Wolves army with a late Heresy/post Heresy theme. I haven't read any Space Wolves novels to know what I should include in my army that would represent Space Wolves during this point in 40k history. For you guys who are familiar, can you give me an idea on what Space Wolves from this period looked like? I like to run my SWs in Drop Pods and I plan on continuing with this. Are there any units that would be inappropriate? Would TWC have been utilized? 

I am going through this right now and it isn't easy. 40k SWs are vastly different than 30k SWs. Core units like Grey Slayers aren't there. Now we have Wolf Guard that can perform a role similiarly but WG are pretty expensive.

TWC wouldn't be used though.

Hello Bloody Legionnaire, do you have an approximate time frame?

This is actually a rather important question; because of the need to best frame my question, if you have not read The Wolf King book/story yet, please, do so.

In The Wolf King, if that is the story I think it is, Russ works with Bjorn to reforge his Legion into what the Wolves are, in terms of WH40K, when compared to WH30K. This difference, this change, and the reshaping of the purpose of a unit as large as a Legion is vital to understanding when you plan to base your force, in the 30K/40K time frame, by comparing to this event.

Thanks Karack I'll have to look into that. I really love the way Legions look and that's how I want to design my Space Wolves. Maybe a few furry accents to make them look unique but definitely still maintaining their Legion origins. I've found over the years as a SWs gamer/connected I've grown more distanced from the "wolfy wolfy" direction GWs going in.

It is unfortunate that our (arguably) strongest units (Wulfen and TWC looking at you) are pretty hard to make unwolfy. 

One of the guys I game with started an astral claws army and has modeled them as they would have been during the Badab Wars. That was my inspiration for designing my 40k Wolves to be from a particular time in the 40k history as opposed to an army that's in the current timeline. I'm sure you guys have seen the guy who painted a SWs army that was heavily influenced by the War Hounds brutal aesthetic. I think I would try to do something similar. Current Space Wolves look very cuddly instead of the brutal look I think they should have. 

It is unfortunate that our (arguably) strongest units (Wulfen and TWC looking at you) are pretty hard to make unwolfy. 

Why not find some way to make Jetbikes that could stand in as TWC? There are a few varieties of JBikes out by now, and I'm sure they could be used as a decent substitute, no?

I am going to hold off on adding new units until the codex comes out. Stuff like Infantry is always pretty easy to start with because every army/list is going to need those as a base/foundation.

TWC wouldn't have been used, it appears, so I'm not really concerned about proxying anything for them. I suppose I can convert the "wulfen" so that they are like the Wulfen prior to 7th edition. Any Wulfen in this army wouldn't be from the 13th legion. So that's how I would model them. 

Edited by Bloody Legionnaire

Wulfen are a rather easy conversion. Take Primaris and replace arms with Wulfen arms with axe and shield. For head it is up to you to go Wulfen or helmets.

Are they really that easy? May have to pick up some wulfen arms on fleabay and grab a box of Primaris then. Would be a lot more in line with the direction I’m trying to take mine.

With TWC, what else makes a good substitute? Have been looking at bikes but not sure on them. TWC just seem a bit too, ummm, OTT Wolff for me, almost like Logan in his carriage.

Yep it's a pretty easy conversion and I think the 30k closest equivalent is cult of morkai or deathsworn(?).

http://www.bolterandchainsword.com/topic/335830-first-primaris-wulfen/

http://s1153.photobucket.com/user/Rhelyk/media/Space%20Wolves/20170629_014535_resized_zpst5hu8fr1.jpg.html

As for TWC I was thinking (but lack the skills) removing the saddle and extending the wolf's waist to a realistic size with green stuff. Taking a Reiver (the logic is less weight=faster movement) and using regular marine weapons. So the Reiver isn't riding on the wolf as a tool, but is a companion instead.

I am not sure what the 30k equivalent would be.

Edited by Jarl Caldersson

Wulfen are a rather easy conversion. Take Primaris and replace arms with Wulfen arms with axe and shield. For head it is up to you to go Wulfen or helmets.

Are they really that easy? May have to pick up some wulfen arms on fleabay and grab a box of Primaris then. Would be a lot more in line with the direction I’m trying to take mine.

With TWC, what else makes a good substitute? Have been looking at bikes but not sure on them. TWC just seem a bit too, ummm, OTT Wolff for me, almost like Logan in his carriage.

You could also consider using Reiver bodies. Might be a bit more dynamic poses for the Wulfen.

If you read Wolf King, it is when a young Blood Claw stumbles across Russ in the depths of the Fang and he is told a tale....

They changed to be pretty similar in organisation to the 40K Wolves after the Heresy. Russ disappeared  around 197 years after the emperor was interred on the throne.

Also Aeska Broken-Lip was a Jarl of a great company ( he was mentioned in Prospero Burns or A Thousand Sons, I cannot remember which). Both set Pre-Heresy (or at least before Horus shows his hand).

For a late/  post Heresy army using 40K units with 30K aesthetics would work pretty well.

Im redoing my wolves along similar lines, i want them to be post heresy..maybe kicking about in the warp and shunting around different timelines with some admech buddies (my other army)

So what im going for is:

- Lots of mkIII armour and some older terminator suits.

- Dark grey scheme, probably with a fair amount of grit/battlewear and prosthetics.

- Some pelts/wolfbits, but keeping this to a minimum

- No TWC

- Ive kept one squad of wulfen atm just as i painted them up not so long ago but they may get sold. Their rules are too tempting though so may need to plan a better proxy.

- And no bare heads. This is just my aesthetic for my company and has nothing to do with 30/40k though (But im really fed up of the whole 'all sw never put their helments on' shtick that both FW and GW seem to go for nowadays).

Generally waiting to see what the codex brings in terms of elite choices etc, but working on some troops just now which will be my grey hunter/slayers

Edited by DanPesci

Frankly, I wouldnt put the change of Wolf identity until after the events of Battle of the Fang.

Is that your opinion of the events or an impression you were left with after reading "Battle of the Fang?"

Im redoing my wolves along similar lines, i want them to be post heresy..maybe kicking about in the warp and shunting around different timelines with some admech buddies (my other army)

So what im going for is:

- Lots of mkIII armour and some older terminator suits.

- Dark grey scheme, probably with a fair amount of grit/battlewear and prosthetics.

- Some pelts/wolfbits, but keeping this to a minimum

- No TWC

- Ive kept one squad of wulfen atm just as i painted them up not so long ago but they may get sold. Their rules are too tempting though so may need to plan a better proxy.

- And no bare heads. This is just my aesthetic for my company and has nothing to do with 30/40k though (But im really fed up of the whole 'all sw never put their helments on' shtick that both FW and GW seem to go for nowadays).

Generally waiting to see what the codex brings in terms of elite choices etc, but working on some troops just now which will be my grey hunter/slayers

That's exactly what I was thinking of doing. I absolutely agree with you on the Wulfen's rules.. What I'll most likely end up doing is making a "marked of the wulfen" unit of Space Wolves. I'll put them on the 40mm bases and then just paint them with a mark to make them unique. The Stormshields in the grey slayer upgrade kit should complete the look. 

Frankly, I wouldnt put the change of Wolf identity until after the events of Battle of the Fang.

Is that your opinion of the events or an impression you were left with after reading "Battle of the Fang?"

Isnt that asking the same thing?

I was left with the impression that events of Battle of the Fang changed the Wolves immensely. 

They abandoned the dedicated hunts for Magnus, the mania of the hunt with the death of the Great Wolf.

the Wolves stop questing out, turning more defensive.

The final breaking of the Thousand Sons lifts the burdens that held the Wolves back for so long.

Maybe I should have worded it better. It seems like a bunch of gamers have their own idea of what is going on in the fluff or what the fluff is supposed to be. I was trying to see if that's how you saw the SWs and the history of events or if it was an impression you were left with after finishing a book. Thanks for the clarification.