Sneakybamsen's pain(t)ful work

sneakybamsen

I feel you, brother. Looking at the basing style I kept fromt he first time I started with my Dark Angels, a good 15 years ago, rebasing felt almost necessary.

And it was less tedious then imagind and added a lot of uniqueness. The cork matt is the basis for mine as well.

Cork is my go to as well. I use hacked up wine bottle corks instead of a mat because we always have some around :P (and the cork is better quality for our needs).

In my mind the battles of the far future have no grass, too much high explosive and carnage (esp once the Dark Angels arrive), so no flock problems for me anymore :D

What thickness cork mat do you guys use?

I'm thinking it should be 2-4mm thick, or 1/12" - 1/6" for american measures, I believe.

IKEA seems to have a pack for what equates to around 6£ or 8$ with 4 mats, might try those. They're made for dining, though, so they might be processed with stuff, meaning they have different properties than we need. I don't know, I'm gonna find out though, I suppose.

I use cork mats as well. I picked up a pack of 3 a number of years back from the dollar store, and they’re still going!

Sneaky, if you’re at IKEA, go to the plant/ pot section. Here in Canada they have these tubes of decorative rocks that come in varying sizes and textures, for cheap. I think I paid $6CA and I’ve barely put a dent in them. Some are smoother and look like rocks, some are more sharp and jagged, making perfect rubble.

I use the cork as slabs of masonry, then the decorative rocks are smaller chunks of rubble, then chopped up sprue for even smaller rubble, then sand as the more dusty stuff.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Another ETL vow completed. This one in the final 24'ish hours of the event. I never fully believed I would make it, but I pulled through for once. Quite happy with that. That said, it's a 5-day paintjob on the Stormraven, 6-8 hours of work has gone into it. For me, that is rather fast. The result might very well be thereafter, but I made my vow, and I will NOT be an oathbreaker.

Without further ado here is my second and final completion for ETL VI

iOVB9u7l.jpg

OqhUv9al.jpg

TN0r1azl.jpg

QFzDu2Pl.jpg

vfu55hyl.jpg

qXanffVl.jpg

Regards

Sneaky

Edited by sneakybamsen

Thanks  Punk :smile.:

Edit: Wanted to add that my next two painting projects should be a Darkshroud followed by a Talonmaster. Hopefully I can complete both before the 19th of August, as there is an event at the local club, where I'm planning to field them.

Edited by sneakybamsen

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

As promised some images of my Darkshroud. And as a treat, because you've been patient, I got my Talonmaster done as well shortly after the shroud.

Darkshroud

frT8UnVl.jpg

HmPYbYKl.jpg

pI2W1Oml.jpg

Talonmaster

rsb2DcCl.jpg

g7nOe1Ql.jpg

Currently I'm working on gunline elements, so devastators, Azrael and the like are next.

• 1 month later...

September saw me start up a painting event that runs over the course of 6 months at the local club. Every month you paint a unit/whatever (not only 40k stuff) or you owe drinks at the summerparty we throw later. In September I managed to complete my plasmacannon devastators with an amorium cherub, and the result is alright (to my standard at least), but I haven't gotten around to doing a proper photo yet. That will come later.

In the meantime I am busy working on my imperial knight army, which I will be using for ETC qualifiers in november. When that is over I'll revert to painting my beloved Dark Angels once more with Azrael and a lieutenant or two on the horizon.

• 4 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Thanks a lot, guys. Personally I think I did the best job with Azrael, the Dark Talon was just painted to be very close to my first one.

However, I have allowed myself to keep the productive spree going, and 10 Hellblasters made their way through the pain(t)ful process as well.

0bvA75Gh.jpg