Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Sons of the Emperor - Primarchs Anthology

Primarchs Horus Heresy Black Library Horus Heresy weekender

• Please log in to reply
66 replies to this topic

Fedor

Fedor

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 69 posts

I thought the Ancient Awaits a bit ridiculous as a scenario. I appreciate the return to the character and it was entertaining enough, but i think i'd rather have him show back up as a character for the upcoming siege series than this. It wouldn't have needed much to explain his reappearance and would have been an interesting perspective.

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,023 posts
i did think it was a stretch that his weapons would be operational after millennia with little to no upkeep
can't touch this
can't touch this
can't touch this
warhammer time!

b1soul

b1soul

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,764 posts
How did his withered husk of a body survive ten millenia outside stasis?

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,023 posts
pure angriness
can't touch this
can't touch this
can't touch this
warhammer time!

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,023 posts

also with shadow of the past

Spoiler

Edited by mc warhammer, 07 November 2018 - 07:42 AM.

can't touch this
can't touch this
can't touch this
warhammer time!

Carach

Carach

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 239 posts

uhm so would this be coming out any time soon for the masses or are some of these likely to be in our beloved christmas calendar next month

i've not bought an anthology in ages because i have usually already got the shorts before the anthology goes to print, but these stories are all locked up in this book it seems?

Tymell

Tymell

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 532 posts

also with shadow of the past 

Spoiler

Spoiler

uhm so would this be coming out any time soon for the masses or are some of these likely to be in our beloved christmas calendar next month

i've not bought an anthology in ages because i have usually already got the shorts before the anthology goes to print, but these stories are all locked up in this book it seems?

My money's on a Primarchs anthology somewhere down the line, including these 8, Grandfather's Gift, A Lesson in Iron, Malcador: First Lord of the Imperium, Konrad Curze: A Lesson in Darkness and Stone & Iron, plus any other Primarchs shorts they put out. But even if that comes to pass, I've no idea when it would be, or if they might release some/all of these individually before then.

Edited by Tymell, 07 November 2018 - 07:07 PM.

---------------------------
(On-going) HH project, characters, timeline points, ships - https://sites.google...ellsheresy/home

Feel free to PM in case of missing info or sudden but inevitable errors!

carlisimo

carlisimo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 240 posts
  • Faction: 30k White Scars
I was able to borrow the collection from someone and, yes, it’s good. Good enough that I’m annoyed that it’s an exclusive. That said, I think it’s ridiculous that any GW products should be geographically limited.

The Passing of Angels - 8/10
At first I felt the descriptions were a tad too flowery and long-winded, but this quickly subsided.

I felt the same way. The part at the beginning where Sanguinius notices that one legionnaire’s helmet decoration is a micrometer out of alignment grated on me. It feels like the, “Look how physically awesome this primarch is,” sort of writing that I’d expect from a lesser author.

I really like John French but he pushes it with numbers sometimes: 10 million tanks at Tallarn (maybe not so bad), low enough induction efficiency that the Imperial Fists need to churn through 50 million little boys to get 100,000 legionnaires… I can see why authors like to keep the details vague.

Though to be fair, I think it’s theoretically possible if a primarch can see light all the way over in the X-ray and gamma ray part of the spectrum, which feels reasonable. Wavelength puts a physical limit on our visual acuity (or Venier acuity in this case), so under what we consider visible light I don’t think you could resolve a 1 micron misalignment at, say, a meter distance.

Anyway, after that the story becomes one of Sanguinius’s better depictions, but still in the same vein as what we’ve seen before: he thinks of himself as a tool to be used to pave the wave for humanity, maybe even one that’s disposable. And there’s still no indication that he would make a good candidate for Warmaster. I think we have to accept that Black Library has given us a consistent portrayal of who Sanguinius is, and it just wasn’t what we were expecting.

Totally agree with the rest of your reviews!
  • Fedor likes this

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,540 posts
  • Faction: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
I think the interesting thing about the whole corax bit is that while he might be "powered up" , he's against an enemy that know how to manipulate and bind warp entities. Could be an interesting plot line

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,023 posts

Spoiler

yeah i hear ya...my question was less about “ my primarch can beat your primarch” (though with the example i used i can see how it reads that way) and more
Spoiler

Edited by mc warhammer, 08 November 2018 - 02:14 AM.

can't touch this
can't touch this
can't touch this
warhammer time!

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,023 posts

I think the interesting thing about the whole corax bit is that while he might be "powered up" , he's against an enemy that know how to manipulate and bind warp entities. Could be an interesting plot line

not having read it, i like the concept. very nice ellipsis to leave corax on...
can't touch this
can't touch this
can't touch this
warhammer time!

Roomsky

Roomsky

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 500 posts

My money's on a Primarchs anthology somewhere down the line, including these 8, Grandfather's Gift, A Lesson in Iron, Malcador: First Lord of the Imperium, Konrad Curze: A Lesson in Darkness and Stone & Iron, plus any other Primarchs shorts they put out. But even if that comes to pass, I've no idea when it would be, or if they might release some/all of these individually before then.

I'm personally hoping for some themed paperback release. Either an anthology that, for instance, collects Perturabo, Lorgar, and Fulgrim, along with the short stories associated with those primarchs. Either that or a Cult of the Spiral Dawn style paperback that, again for example, includes Hammer of Olympia, Stone and Iron, and The Emperor's Architect.

I've never had any problem with visits to the weekender and the like giving people early or signed copies of things, but being left in the dark as to when the rest of us might get a release of what is apparently such a quality collection rubs me the wrong way, I will admit.

• Felix Antipodes, mc warhammer, DarkChaplain and 2 others like this

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,540 posts
I'm also not too sure on the sevetar bit. The obvious read is that he's a sociopath. But in other shorts and the audio novel, he does show empathy towards other people. The human he keeps tabs on, or the astropath girl he takes vengeance for

mc warhammer

mc warhammer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,023 posts
from what i’ve been told, it seems an argument could be made for curze being the one upholding imperial truth in the face of magnus’ obsession
can't touch this
can't touch this
can't touch this
warhammer time!

m_r_parker

m_r_parker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,080 posts
Whilst Curze is technically right, and upholding the values of the Imperial Truth as laid out by the Emperor, he’s using the situation as an excuse to lash out st one of his brothers. He knows that Magnus and his retinue of Thousand Sons are protecting this tower using Kine shields, and taunts Magnus in the knowledge that whilst the shields will hold against lascannons and battle line tanks some of his Sons will die in the effort. Curze taunts him further, suggesting he could up the bombardment to super heavy tanks like Shadowswords and Falchions, and even pull his own troops away allowing for an Orbital Bombardment. Curze takes great pleasure in seeing Magnus divided in not wanting this tower and all it’s knowledge destroyed, and not wanting his Sons killed in its defence. Magnus also knows it’s far from an empty threat by Curze, and it’s likely something the Night Haunter would enjoy.
The premise of this, and the greater story behind it, is very good. It’s a shame it’s only been available as this limited release.
gallery_26271_12264_20095.jpg

Roomsky

Roomsky

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 500 posts

The sheer quality of this collection makes the backflips / induced bankruptcy the rest of the non-Proud British Master Race world must endure to acquire it all the more frustrating. Had I not a vast network of spies and diseased British peasantry under my control, who knows how long it might have taken me to read this excellent anthology.

Spoiler

Read this one, if your means allow. Fingers crossed it becomes more widely available in the near future.

• Tymell, Indefragable and Kelborn like this

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,540 posts
Literally just google sons of the emperor pdf. I would have paid up if I could have, but you know.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Primarchs, Horus Heresy, Black Library, Horus Heresy weekender

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users