Deathshroud and Mortarion

Prot

So I finally finished 3 Deathshroud termies. These guys took such a long time and quite frankly I could spend more time on them but the detail (like most Death Guard figs) is insane. I had to call them done.

Anyway they are great models, I want to use them. How many of you use them in non-Mortarion games? Are they worth it in that scenario?

I'm thinking of putting them in with Mortarion, but at about 180 for the squad of 3, I'm not so sure. You'd like to think at that points cost they would be more than just ablative wounds for the big guy. How are you finding them? Thumbs up or thumbs down?

Sadly thumbs down from me.  They don't have enough wounds to be bodyguards, they are still a bit too expensive.  The new Custodes release kinda really shows how lackluster they are, since that's the sort of statline they should have and yet they don't.

They are my favourite unit, I use them all the time. In combat three of them are 10 str 8 attacks, d3 dmg plague weapons. I always deep strike them, usually after mortarions first move to have them around the centre of the board, or team them up with typhus or a lord of corruption in enemy back field. They munch through just about anything.

I think they work really well with or without Mortarion. I am able to hold them in reserves longer as most of my characters run with a screen, so they have some protection early. Then drop them in at the right time to cause all sorts of havoc. The overlooked bonus is the extra attack they give non-daemon characters.

I prefer to deepstrike them in alongside a Lord of Contagion or a Terminator Lord. I've never even paid attention to the bodyguard part of it, they're just excellent back line harrassment. I'm sure you could achieve the same sort of effect with blightlords..but deathshroud dropping in and hitting some very important tanks or artillery will end it with little hope for a save.

Haven't played that much against Deathshrouds yet, however since I usually play a rather mobile army I'm really not that afraid of facing them unless they sit on exactly the one objective I've to capture. ^^

I haven't played with them yet, as I'm just getting a hold of a Death Guard army, but I have played against them several times.

Once, as a unit of 6, and once as a unit of three.  Far and away, the annoyance of a unit of three on flank is much better than a pseudo-linebreaker unit of 6 which I was able to put a lot more resources into killing).  But that unit of three did enough damage to kill my fire prism, and eventually my reapers and a squad of rangers.

I'm definitely going to be trying out the squad of three.  They had little or nothing to do with Mortarion in that match up, even though he was on the table.  I think the bodyguard is a nice-to-have feature if you're going up against a really shooty army, but otherwise I'd just ignore it and go for a fairly durable distruption unit.

I always use them in games a bodyguards for a plaguecaster who is always my warlord and they do great in every game I take them on usually murdering dreads and other stuff especially when buffed by the plaguecaster sometimes I also take a tallymaster who really helps them massacre most things used them in a game against custodes and they murdered an entire custode squad which got bogged down after they wiped out a poxwalker blob (they then got murdered by a jetbike squad with a couple of characters but not before taking most of the bikers with them, lost that game but the Plaguecaster managed to somehow survive so they did their job at least) . I usually run them with at least one poxwalker unit in front as a buffer to bog down any squad so the shroud behind can counter attack.

I've used them in games with a Lord of Contagion and they were nasty. Deep strike them in and try to get a charge. They tank wounds pretty well and if they get into combat, whatever they're fighting will probably be erased from the board. Their biggest weakness is their movement, or lack thereof. They're slow. Very slow. It may not be a bad idea to invest in a transport (Land Raider or Spartan) to move them around quicker, but that also means you're investing more points.

Thank you everyone for chiming in. I appreciate it and through this thread you’ve given me some good ideas on ways to use this unit beyond Mortarion. I had a very interesting game with them and they were a pleasure to paint.