Primaris Chapter: Warhawks **News and Events**

Dracos

Warhawks <Raven Guard> Successor Chapter: Ultima Founding

First I want to show my appreciation for a number of you who have helped me in the planning stages of this project. Race Bannon thank you for responding to a number of PMs. SanguinaryGuardsmen and Claws&Effect for advice on building. Ishagu, Blindhamster, and Captain Idaho only to name a few on enlightening discussion on the rules and units of 8th I was unfamiliar with. Thank you.

Above is the foundation for the 2000 point army I plan on building. I can't quite do exactly a Primaris (only) Chapter. Two reasons. First is I feel I need access at least to some Infiltrators to be competitive, and there will be tournaments in this army's future have no doubt. Secondly, Xiphon Interceptor. Flyers like the Valkyrie were just making there debut when I left the game during 5th edition, so I have never played with them. I have fallen in love with this model and when the army is ready to jump to a full 2,000 I will be purchasing one (hopefully in a batch with guys from the local GW store :smile.:)

I suspect mounting bolt guns to the Sniper Scouts is going to be the toughest project but ... I'm also in the process of trying to trade for some Terminator Lightning Claws from a Imperial Fist player. The Blood Hawks are going to have their own version of Kayvaan Shrike using a "spare" Interceptor model, but like Race says "No pics? Didn't happen.

To that point, I will be posting my progress in this thread weekly. Do NOT expect any great feats of conversion or painting. I'll go through my quick and dirty painting process later in the thread but after a year of chemo a while back my hands (and feet) arent what they use to be. Still, I think I have a process that will make them table worthy. (Just can't play with unpainted models :ermm:

First up two boxes on Intercessors to base coat with Armory Primer, Dragon Red and Desert Yellow.

Edited by Dracos

NGA @ Found a local GW shop recently and made a gift of a terrain piece. When a staff member hear I was looking for some Terminator lightning claws he offered a pair from his Dark Angel bitz box. I think they'll make a great set of Raven's Talons. I choose to play again because the Primaris models excited me after being years away from the game. I have no excuse for the Scouts. They are a purely tactical purchase. At least I choose Snipers who look the least horrible lol. I'm not a huge fan of the original models, so creating Primaris conversions of Shrike and the Culexus is going to be fun.

Edited by Dracos

• 3 weeks later...

Intercessors: Stage One

So when they Slow Grow you'll see my pic beside the definition ;) Positive side this is about a third of the models in a 2K list so there's that lol.

med_gallery_7985_14167_772392.jpg

I'm using The Army Painter range of paints. The next stage is to use Desert Yellow base coat/primer on these and Dragon Red on the sprues arms, pauldrons, and backpacks. I just ordered the Eagle shoulder pad icons off of Shapeways. I think I'll go a Uniform Grey on those and the Aquilas as a nod to their Greyshield origins and Necromancer Cloak (no metallics) for the weapons.

Damn GW, I'd give a Dreadnoughts left Lascannon for Reivers to Infiltrate instead of SftS :(

Damn GW, I'd give a Dreadnoughts left Lascannon for Reivers to Infiltrate instead of SftS :(

On the plus side, given the way 8th edition rules work, if they did Infiltrate it would probably cost them their movement for that phase.

Well I figure if Grav-chutes are just a couple points then the ability to deploy the same as Scouts would be about the same? Butt if wishes were itches, then we’d all be scratching our arses raw wouldn’t we ;)

So I think I’ve mentioned (or not) the Blood Hawks are from a planet (Hyksos) largely desert in nature. I’ve been looking for ways to add flavor to the Primaris models and the first part was ordering eagle-head shoulder emblems from Shapeways. I think I’ve come up with a second, and it solves how to deferentiate between the sergeant and standard troops.

277-1041-thickbox.jpg

If I don’t like how they fit or look with the Primaris bodies I’ll just save them for a Guard Detachment at a later date.

. . . and the eagle emblems

710x528_20003185_11505925_1503503301.jpg

Edited by Inquisitor Dracos

Thanks for the “heads” up. I’ll check against the bare heads on the sprues. I don’t mind if they are a tad small. If I don’t like it I’ll probably steal a page from your book and use them for the two scout squads. So if you all see some headless pics in next couple weeks, we can just call them “Choppers” ;)

Scouts and Aggressors: Stage One

med_gallery_7985_14167_537519.jpg

med_gallery_7985_14167_556232.jpg

At this point, minus the two Captains which I will do after practicing on the bulk of the first 500 points, I'm ready to proceed to Stage Two. Which is to base coat all the assembled pieces in Desert Yellow.

So, before I lay paint to plastic I have a question for anyone with an eye for (or who just like sharing opinions and ideas) these things. My current plan in to base coat the heads, torsos, and legs Desert Yellow, and then proceed to use Dragon Red on the backpacks, shoulder pads, and arms.

My question is ... Is that too much red? It's a darker red for sure and using it on the arms was suppose to be symbolic of the actual red hawk's (they are abundant here in the midwest) wings. I'm waffling about using dragon red on the arms though and just going with desert yellow there also. Defining factor here ... Is the Rule of Cool. (Which of course is black, but I'm just not that cool:happy.: )

Hrmm so not being particularly familiar with the bird I can't say I know the exact colour youre chasing.

However I have to admit I'm generally not a fan of red + yellow a la McDonalds.

What if you did more of a Khorne red and tan colour like this?

http://www.classic-castle.com/howto/articles/Triangular/RedTanShield.jpg

I think the colours compliment better. Maybe use a Tallarn sand and or Karak Stone (I recommend the latter at the very least).

"Trust your feelings, Luke."

:happy.:

Maybe use the B+C painter to find which colors would fit the RoC. Altetnatively, splash paint a mock up model of both schemes on PA dudes?

"Trust your feelings, Luke."

:happy.:

Maybe use the B+C painter to find which colors would fit the RoC. Altetnatively, splash paint a mock up model of both schemes on PA dudes?

Damn .... some major changes are going to be made. Including replacing the Aggressors Sgts head. :sad.:

http://moziru.com/images/redtailed-hawk-clipart-male-13.jpg

Red-tails are actually pretty polymorphic, ranging from largely white to all black but light brown and "red' is a pretty common representation. 

• 2 weeks later...

With the upcoming ETL ( which I’m ignorant of but seems exciting) I’m going to use part of the prep time coming down with a hard color scheme and name for my DIY Chapter.

Race said let the Force guide me and it took the red right of my paint brush. :)

I’ve settled on the color and will do one very rough draft test model as suggested and post it this weekend.

For myself the color scheme must be elude to even vaguely in someway to the Chapter name, I’ve decided to drop the Blood Hawk moniker and reboot. Most everything else is staying the same so far. Ultimate Founding, Veterans of the Indomitus Crusade, Desert themed planet for the Chapters home .... and a special enemy.

This Successor Chapter of Primaris has a special grudge. Many of them, especially the “Veterans” were at at Secundus Terra when the Imperium forces were lured into a terrible trap suffering ambushes and catastrophic malfunctions, having been lured into a terrible trap by the Alpha Legion.

.... and I still want a hawk (bird of prey) theme ;)

I have quite a few odd and ends from my old days before fifth really got rolling and I imagine some of them in the hands of a fellow Son of Corax who has helped this old man from waffling and nail down his chapters name :)

When naming my units in my raptors I went with birds of prey names....Owls are my dreadnoughts, Vultures are Predators, Hawks are my Stormhawks, and Ospreys are my Stormtalons

So "Osprey 21" would be a Stormtalon squadron?

Unless you design your own vehicle variants, I don't think it's a good idea to give a vehicle alternate names- calling a Stormtalon an "Osprey," being one example- due to the confusion it may cause. It DOES make sense to use alternate names for unit designations, i.e., for squads, platoons, companies, wings (in the case of Flyers), etc. To confuse the enemy, these alternate names need their own alternate names, e.g., use "Vulture 81" to refer to a Predator squadron in one campaign, and "Buzzard 61" to refer to the same squadron in the next.

Scflasheart: pretty sure Desert Yellow and Tallarn Sand are the same colors, so on track there. Vermillion thoughts aside at the moment (:)) while my old DIY color scheme suggested the desert theme I’m pursuing, I have never got comfortable with calling my Chapter <Raven Guard> and using such a colorful even when muted color set. Switching away from Red is the reason I’m changing the working name away from Blood Hawks ... and I couldn’t escape the assumption they were a Blood Angel successor when the name was ever brought up. Love to my AoD bros

So it’s Desert Yellow and Army Green now and finding the right color pattern that suggest camo .... without actually doing the work of painting a camo pattern because ... lazy. :D I’ll still add some red but just in the eye lenses and energy related pieces. The weapons are going to be all Necromancer Cloak (which is a shade off of matt black). Not sure what color the Aquila is going to be but leaning toward the off black to keep things to three colors. However, although I’m avoiding metal paints because they make no sense for a stealth color scheme, Greedy Gold looks like it would “blend” well with the Desert Yellow and might not “pop” out so much as to be an issue. More I think about that the better it sounds.

Puppets war is suppose to have mailed the Desert Trooper heads to me but not sure how long shipping takes for overseas. :(