Primaris Chapter: Warhawks **News and Events**

Dracos

That's actually a pretty cool idea but I don't own a Outrider Chaplain yet.

I have decided to sell/trade both the Tyranid battleforces and Nid stuff I bought last Christmas to fund my Chapter expansion . . . 2 Stormtalons and 4 Gladiators (2 Valiant / 2 Reaper). Narratively, the plan is to run a couple Outrider units and the Outrider Chaplain as a Mobile Reserve. I might have to develop a second paint scheme however because I can see using them as a separate detachment. 

When I do though ... I am sure to start playing with him in place of the Phobos Captain. What I really want is Inceptor HQ choices :(

I know. I want a Primaris jump Chaplain so bad I can taste it! I think he will be in the same armour as Suppressors though.

I really want to try a Hero of the Chapter Judiciar with Master of Ambush to go with my Bladeguard. I figure find the most inconvenient piece of terrain, and have them redeploy there. They already have Storm Shields, but if I can get that sweet -1 to hit as well, oh yes. Then, shooting at them will be almost prohibitively difficult, unless you want to move within 18 inches, but I can charge you then. The enemy could charge them, but then there is the Tempor Mortis.

I really need these getaways this hobby provides. The holidays are just killing me. Honestly, I would rather host a bunch of you all instead of my relatives and in laws.

Also, @Dracos, wish you were local. They are having a 40K swap meet and bits bazaar at a local store. I bet you can get a lot of good stuff cheap.

Tournament Prep: 24 of 22 spots signed up for as of church 12/6

Grey Knights x2

Death Guard x2

Chaos Knights

Ulthwé

Custodes

Fallen

Chaos

Space Wolves

Tyranids

Black Templars x2

Necrons

Death Angels?

and me RG Successord

I haven't listed my army yet but everyone in the city knows I play Primaris only Raven Guard successor.

Tournament Prep: I need to look closer at Secondaries. I've been winging it for about 6 months playing Crusade games.

Edited by Dracos

Honour the chapter is a good one for Marines

Retrieve octarius data was decent too if that's still an option

Assassination is thematic for RG and plays well to their super strat but can also lure you in

Tbh I don't know much more than that as I kept it fairly simple so I could remember what I was meant to do

My default are going to be Oath of Moment, Engage on All Fronts and Retrieve Octaviius Data. I build my army to control table quarters anyway so it fits my style. I do need to keep open for better options when they are presented. For instance there are two Grey Knights armies and a Renegade Knight army in attendance.

. . . more Tournament Prep . . .

med_gallery_7985_16096_772674.jpg

So . . . I had this idea that I wanted to better prepared for Deployment before walking into the Tournament Hall. I've already done some by setting a game table up at a local store. Last night I decided I wanted to take another step in that direction and came up with this idea.

I have printed out 6 pages of "Terrain Two" (the TO has informed us this will be used all three games) and I'm in the process of overlaying the Deployment / Objective Set maps for each possible mission (that we haven't been informed of yet). I'm hoping to use it to not only better prepare for Deployment, but have a better idea of which Objectives are more advantageous to grab and hold for either my ranged or melee units.

Tournament Results

I’m kinda bummed right now. Went 1-2 and didn’t score quite as well as I hoped after all the dice were done rolling. Going last all three games kinda sucked also.

First game was against Deathwing 40ish Terminators, Bike Master Apothecary and Chaplain.

56 - 97

Second game was against the new Druhkari hotness of Talos, Chronos, and Grotesque.

44 - 97

Last game was against a Knights Hereticus army that just couldn’t get its charges off first turn. I had momentum and kept it entire game.

82 - 57

I’ll post more detail and pics in next couple days. I know I’m a tad salty at the moment but don’t think I’m far off, having come to the sad conclusion that the Marine Codex (and our Supplement) are horrible I’ll-balanced internally or just plain outdated. The proliferation of other army rerolls, damage 2/3 weapons and sheer speed or durability just isn’t capable of being matched with our current resources.

On a lighter note I picked up 2 Stormtalons and 6 Outriders just for funsies. Neither are going to do a thing to make my list more competitive but I do like the models and feel they fit my pseudo-modern professional army concept. SEALS use to use dune buggies for land travel and that’s how I picture the Outriders. Stormtalons “feel” more like a 40k Apache Attack Helicopter. :)

Yeah, it was real eye opener as opposed to playing Crusade games most of the year . . . but it has inspired me to rework my list such that I am finally going to build the other 10 Assault Intercessors that have languished as the last remnants of the Indomitus boxes I bought year and a half ago . . . I'm going to train and re-equip the Warhawks into a Chapter that would make the Carcharodons envious :HQ:

Hard event, that's always a bummer indeed. I'm also looking forward to your write up, especially concerning :

- Speed : it looks like your list is relatively slow once deployed. I'm curious to see if this has hindered you during the event to score secondaries and/or react to your opponent's move.

- Staying power : Though you have a lot of Gravis units in your list, you have very few, if any, way of mitigating dmg, be it Invulnerable saves on units that could benefit from it like Eradicators/Inceptors, FNP, dmg reduction. etc. I know you are aiming for an Infantry only force and I respect that, but if we compare your units with the new meta hotness, this looks like a weakness of your list (except for Bladeguards I guess). Or, as you stated, of the SM Codex at large...

Looking back at your opponents from the tournie, do you think switching back to bolt sniper rifles on the Eliminators and leveraging our Chapter Doctrine would have helped? Getting rid of the Apothecary, Haemonculus/Archons should have reduce the effectiveness of those armies...?

Speed wasn't a real issue but I am considering in my rework a unit of Outriders for instances a savvy opponent who blocks out his deployment zone, which lets be honest, those are the kind of players Im gunning for next time. It would have made a slight difference against the Druhkari but not the other two opponents.

My problem with the Druhkari was I didnt have enough killing power on my beta strike, or the durability to rebuff his when it hit mw Turn 3. News flash, Talos and Chronos are kinda nasty.

I am switching back to the Sniper Rifle because while they were helpful against the Knights, not so much in the first two games and those are points I could have spent on Helix Gauntlets and a power fist or power swords. I'm keeping the Eliminators not so much for what they can kill but the Actions they can perform and are cheap units I can use to sit on backfield objectives.

Edited by Dracos

• 4 weeks later...

After my lackluster showing at the recent RTT, I’ve decided to try something slightly different. I’m going to lean harder into my Assault Intercessors. I’m building a second 10 man squad. Instead of using them with Master of Ambush I’m going back to using Aggressors with that Warlord trait.

The new plan is to push my Bladeguard up the field pregame toward Objectives with Stratagem: Infiltrators. The Assault Intercessors will become the counter-strike unit. I had been doing it the other way and I think they will synergise better this way. The Guard should be more durable and cheaper as a trade unit.

I’m dropping the Eradicators and testing 2 units of Outriders. Their job will be to go hunt down small/vulnerable units performing Actions and/or giving me ability to throw units into 4 quarters from the git go. The Inceptors will “usually” combat squad and provide fire support for the Outriders.

Losing the Eradicators hurts me. I love those guys but I’m going for more board control, because I’ve already proven the precious rendition of this list wasn’t as killy or durable enough. :sad.:

I could see replacing the Outriders with more Inceptors but I need motivation to build the bikes and who knows, maybe they’re better than I’m giving them credit for.

+ HQ +

Reiver Lieutenant [4 PL, 75pts]: Master of Ambush: Oppressor’s End

Outrider Chaplain [6 PL, 115pts]: Warlord: Swift and Deadly

+ Troops +

10 Assault Intercessors [10 PL, 200pts]: Power fist

10 Assault Intercessors [10 PL, 200pts]: Power fist

5 Infiltrators [6 PL, 130pts]: Helix Gauntlet

+ Elites +

6 Aggressors [12 PL, 270pts]: Boltstorm Gauntlets, Fragstorm grenade launcher

5 Bladeguard Veterans [10 PL, 175pts]

5 Bladeguard Veterans [10 PL, 175pts]

+ Fast Attack +

6 Inceptors [14 PL, 360pts]: Plasma Exterminators x2

3 Outriders [6 PL, 150pts]

+ Heavy Support +

3 Eliminators [5 PL, 75pts]: Bolt sniper rifle

3 Eliminators [5 PL, 75pts]: Bolt sniper rifle

++ Total: [98 PL, 11CP, 2,000pts] ++

Edited by Dracos

Thanks, I'm working on assembling and base painting the second group of Assault Intercessors this week. I'm working on this Idea of shaving points as much as possible. For instance, a Reiver Lieutenant instead of the Indomitus Lt. The Indomitus guy gets his butt kicked in almost any fight he's been in. I keep thinking he can actually fight, when his real job is to let units reroll "1"s to wound.

I keep holding off on buying another box of Aggressors to add to the one ETB box I have hoping that Imperium magazine comes to the US with more ETB Aggressors. I'd like to build a unit with Flamestorm Gauntlets for MOA ... and when Aggressors really get good some day I'll have 15 total lol. That and a little finagling of the AI sgts gear and I could upgrade the Inceptors to Plasma Exterminators.

• 2 weeks later...

Proof I'm more stubborn than smart ...

Lexicanum 40K RTT | Facebook

More information on tweaks I'll make over the last list as I get some modelling done. I don't think they'll change my competitiveness level but I will be working a unit of Outriders into the list .... if I can give them at least a basic paint job. 

• 2 months later...

List I’m using for the RTT this month. Man I hate dropping the second Eliminator squad of las fusil but faced with potentially a lot of Tau Crisis suits (first game tomorrow … and Custodes in the following weeks.

++ Battalion Detachment (Imperium - Adeptus Astartes - Raven Guard) [100 PL, 2,000pts, 9CP] ++

**Warhawks**: Born Heroes , Custom Chapter, Raven Guard Successor, Whirlwind of Rage

+ HQ +

Captain in Phobos Armour [5 PL, 95pts, -1CP]: Lord of Deceit, Master of Ambush, The Vox Espiritum, Warlord

Primaris Chaplain on Bike [6 PL, 125pts, -1CP]: Mantra of Strength, Benediction of Fury, Litany of Hate, The Imperium's Sword

+ Troops +

5 Infiltrators [6 PL, 130pts]: Helix gauntlet

5 Infiltrators [6 PL, 130pts]: Helix gauntlet

10 Intercessors [10 PL, 200pts]: Bolt rifles

+ Elites +

6 Bladeguard [10 PL, 210pts]

6 Bladeguard [10 PL, 210pts]

+ Fast Attack +

6 Inceptors [14 PL, 360pts]: Plasma exterminators x2

+ Heavy Support +

3 Eliminators [5 PL, 90pts]: Las Fusil

5 Eradicators [14 PL, 225pts]: Melta rifle

5 Eradicators [14 PL, 225pts]: Melta rifle

++ Total: [100 PL, 9CP, 2,000pts] ++

I also might have made a mistake swapping the Assault Intercessors out for the Rapid-fire Intercessors but felt I might need the greater versatility of the shooty version.

Edited by Dracos

• 2 months later...

I’ve gotten to the point with 9th that I’m going to sabbatical from 40k a bit to try Flames of War. 

I’ll be back when 10th rolls around or there is some gross streamlining of the game rules. 

On 6/27/2022 at 4:17 AM, Dracos said:

I’ve gotten to the point with 9th that I’m going to sabbatical from 40k a bit to try Flames of War. 

I’ll be back when 10th rolls around or there is some gross streamlining of the game rules. 

Hey Dracos, I feel you! At my most recent FLGS league I had benched my RG and started to use my new Tyranid army, which I had been building and painting for over a year. Before the league started I had a grand total of TWO games with my list (crusher stampede). I then had TWO games with the new codex, before all the changes to points, rules blah blah.

So this week, you know what happened? I left them at home. I took a 1.5k RG successor list I've been running for yonks. I had fun. When people asked me where my 'nids were, I told them the truth: I couldn't been stuffed trying to keep up and track of all the changes. My life is busy, wife, kids, demanding job. I've realised don't have the time to keep on top of two very different armies. So for me, whilst I'll keep building my 'nids because the models are awesome, I'm running RG successor and BA successors for the foreseeable future. I just can't be arsed to constantly re-learn rules, drastically overhaul lists etc. 

And you know what? I had a good win with my old list, despite lower CP. Knowing the models inside out, the rules, what works and what doesn't, what combos for when was great fun. Sure, they aren't as strong as the 'nids but I'd rather run a lower-tier army that I am familiar with and know how to pilot than a stronger army that I don't know and am having to constantly check books, rules etc. instead of focusing on the game. 

So maybe hang around? Keep in touch? Maybe just play casual games with friends? There are people at my FLGS who just run armies as printed in the codex with the original points. No FAQs, no errattas, just what was printed. They seem happy and enjoy themselves :D 

• 2 weeks later...
On 6/26/2022 at 11:17 AM, Dracos said:

I'm in the same boat. Playing Epic Armageddon nowadays with a ruleset GW hasn't touched since the 2000s. See you back in 10th ;)

• 5 months later...

Well dang it. I might not be planning to be back back until 10th edition kicks off but I did just throw down for the Bastion Strike Force. It appears the Warhawks are switching to an "all" Gravis army composition 

20 Heavy Intercessors

05 Flamestorm Aggressors

10 Boltstorm Aggressors

10 Eradicators

05 Plasma-Inceptors

10 Bolter-Inceptors

If the Brutalis is everything the rumor mills insinuates I'll actually be adding a couple non-infantry model to my collection.

All right GW I'm halfway back ... gimme a full choice of Gravis HQs and dice will be hitting the table again.