Primaris Chapter: Warhawks **News and Events**

Dracos

So far just swapped a couple arms and pushing them slightly out of position. Honestly I didn’t think anyone could let alone would notice. Thanks :) Hopefully I’ll come up with a basing method I like that’ll will “push” it just a bit more. Subtle changes are best imo. GW is pretty good at what they do. Try and go too far, it takes more skill than I have, or it just looks “wrong”. Edited by Dracos

• 4 weeks later...

I have the basics for the Smash Captain done to play level and I promise to show pics after I clean him up later this week, but I need a Phobos Captain for my 1000 point list to play at the FLGS this Friday. My plan is to convert a (Shadowspear?) Eliminator Sgt I bought off eBay. I've been racking my brain how to convert it enough that it stands out as a Captain and not a Sgt. Then I realized I have the Iron Halo from my Primaris Chaplain somewhere. I never been a fan of the bling bling physical representation of Halos on models. They didn't even have them back in second and third edition on most models it was just wargear you could buy. Anyway I think it should do.

I found a similar conversion on Google Images ... think it will pass a TO judgment?

med_gallery_7985_14167_41128.jpg

I'm not sure how I want to do the rifle. He's getting the K-Bolt so I'm extremely tempted to leave the Eliminators rifle or seeing if I can swap it for a Stalker Rifle, I must have one left around on a sprue? I cant tell if that arm is from an Incursor/Infiltrator or an Intercessor Sgt definitely checking my boxes tomorrow

Promise pics of models and hopefully another Battle Report this weekend

I knew better and I still did it . . . . Now I have to fix my 5 Inceptors because those damn curved flight bases are the worst.

Going to Hobbytown and see if I can get some plastic rocks to to attach them to at basically the right height.

Strike Force of the 999 pt list

med_gallery_7985_16096_52739.jpg

Captain Kestrel: He needs some details but he is playable and his stem is better than the Inceptors

med_gallery_7985_14167_75300.jpg

.... and my Phobos Captain conversion. Again still needs details.

med_gallery_7985_14167_56335.jpg

The HQ trio. Eventually adding a second Phobos Captain conversion, Primaris Librarian and eventually a Primaris Lt or so.

med_gallery_7985_14167_73967.jpg

So .... took a 1000 points to the LGS hoping for my second game in 10 years and was told they were starting the Escalation League .... Tonight.

Yay, paid my 10 buck entry fee grabbed a campaign packet and eventually played my 500 point list against a 1000 Sons opponent. I'll post the details in the Battle Report thread I started couple weeks ago but lets sum up . . . . SftS Aggressors are nasty.

Me

(Smash) Captain Kestrel

5 Aggressors

5 Stalker Intercessors x2

Them

Exalted Sorcerer

Aspiring Sorcerors x2

5 Rubic Marines x2

5 Scarab Terminators

Turn One

Tzeentch Seized, moved everyone up, advanced and promptly Smited Captain Kestrel twice.

Warhawks 10 Stalker Intercessors took aim and First Striked a squad of Rubic Marines.

Turn Two

Tzeentch Deep Striked the Scarab Terminators. Stalker Intercessor Sgt caught them on Auspex (I offered to allow a reposition and they declined knowing they made a mistake). Stalkers killed two Scarab Terminators. Warhawks lost a couple Intercessors. Captain Kestrel took another mortal wound.

Warhawk Aggressors strike from the shadows 21 inches equi-distant between Terminators and Exalted Sorceror. Kestrel advances two inches away from remaining Terminators that the remaining Stalker Intercessors then shoot off the board. Leaving the 5 Aggressors to fire into the Exalted Sorceror. Who promptly tanked all but one wound with their Invulnerable saves.

Turn Three

Tzeentch mortal wound an Aggressor model. 2 Intercessors take four wounds from the double shoot stratagem.

Warhawk Aggressors move toward Linebreaker and this time take out the Exalted Sorceror. Remaining Stalkers take out two Rubics. Kestrel moves up to be in position to offer the Aspiring Champion melee next turn. Wouldnt have done that in a tournament environment but by this point the end was all but determined. 

Turn Four

Tzeentch Aspiring Champion Smites Kestrel dead. Rubics have whittled the Intercessors squads down to 1 and 4 each.

Warhawk shooting wipes out all but the Aspiring Sorceror ... who promptly fails a moral check ending the game.

The pictures are rough and incomplete but I'll post all this in the Battle Report thread tomorrow.

Lesson: Pretty sure I wont be working on the Centurions until late in the League growth. If this is how Aggressors are Centurions must be a mess ... for the other guy. Still not using Smash Captain effectively. Actually with 5 Aggressors he hasn't been needed I might tweak things using the Phobos Captain instead next week.

Bonus Report: I had a young man ask for a game afterward with his Tyranids. All I remember about Nids is how bad they kicked my butt in the Chicago Games Day in 04/05"? 

I learned my lesson couple weeks ago against the Harlies and deployed at the back of my deployment zone to avoid the T1 charge. He had a big anti-tank bug with like 12 S7 shots that took out 2 Aggressors T1. I returned the favor by deleting 20 Genestealers that rushed into my gunline with the 3 Aggressors and killed his Warlord with the Stalker Intercessors. I felt a bit bad about the fact I don't know Nids well enough to offer him advice on what to do different, beside not advancing into a 5 man unit of Aggressors that deployed 30 inches from his 4 armed melee monsters. He must have some better maneuver stratagems or something? Anyway we ended the game after T1. The big bug would have done some damage but we both knew its fate was sealed with Smash Captain deepstriking out of LoS T2 and likely getting the charge off.

Switching up my Escalation list slightly for the second round of 500 point games this week. Slipping a Primaris Chaplain and Assault Cannon Sentry Gun in for the Smash Captain. I actually should keep using him as I haven’t done the old boy justice in the three games I’ve played him with but I want to get some experience with Chappie and the Phobos HQs. Score we hit the 1000 point mark.

I’d have stripped out the Aggressors for Inceptors and kept the Smash Captain but was lazy and didn’t get the Impulsors rebased on different flight stands. I tried GWs and it was a disaster.

++ Patrol Detachment (Imperium - Space Marines) [27 PL, 498pts, -1CP] ++

+ No Force Org Slot +

**Chapter Selection**

+ HQ +

Primaris Chaplain [4 PL, 77pts, -1CP]: 2. Catechism of Fire, 5. Recitation of Focus, Litany of Hate, Strategem: Master of Sanctity, Warlord, Wise Orator

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 86pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Stalker Bolt Rifle

. 4x Intercessor

. Intercessor Sergeant: Chainsword

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 86pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Stalker Bolt Rifle

. 4x Intercessor

. Intercessor Sergeant: Chainsword

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [10 PL, 185pts]: 4x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant

. Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

+ Fast Attack +

Tarantula Sentry Gun [3 PL, 64pts]

. Tarantula Sentry Gun: Twin assault cannon

++ Total: [27 PL, -1CP, 498pts] ++

Yay, Won two more games in our Escalation League this evening. I have a Magnificent fiancé. She said go play we can eat after.

I’ll make a real report in my Battle Report thread but it was Major Victories over Ulthwé and Red Cosairs ... and to boot, I one the drawing for a bi-weekly prize. Not sure what I’m going to go with 3 pots of Contrast Paint but the organizers are being great helping me with rules and such getting my table top feet back under me.

Aggressors are very bad boys at 500 points. I’m going to try and swap them out with the Inceptors next week when we bump up to 750. Prepping the Eliminators for a quickie 3 color table top ready. It’ll hurt missing the massive rate of fire and power fist but I need to learn to use other elements before we get to the 1.5 to 2k points level. I’ve already decided to not bring the Centurions into the Escalation League. Two units of 5 man Aggressors is pushing the limits of friendly play in my mind even at 2k. So Xiphon Interceptor night see the table in their stead ... cool.

• 2 weeks later...

I owe you guys some pics ... tomorrow :smile.: I'll be posting a pic of my newest HQ conversion, Phobos Lieutenant with Ex Tenebris (i.e. Stalker Bolt Rifle). I might post what I have done on the Eliminators but they really need some work yet.

Starting my next tiny project next week based play testing in the Escalation League I'm in. The Bolt Rifle Intercessors have been coming in via the Shadows. The Guard weren't a particular problem. I actually shot myself out of charge range on emergence but next round they were gone. It was Victrix and Rubric Marines that convinced me if I plan on using the Bolt Rifle Intercessors as a midfield unit with the Intercessors or to reinforce the Aggressors they need a little oomph.

So .... I've been playing with my list and decided the Sergeants needed this ....

sml_gallery_7985_14167_12530.jpg

So ... if my eBay purchase actually comes in (ordered off my phone and it hiccuped). 4+1 chainsword attacks against Guard was overkill, and less effective against the Victix than I would have liked. 3+1 Thunder Hammer attacks should add an anti-tank/monster element that I feel the army needs. I have a 2 boxes of ETB Intercessors and will be building the sgts from them. Trying to figure out how I'm going to model the bolt rifles though? I was thinking the shouldered sniper rifles on the Eliminator sprues, but not sure about that yet.

Edited by Dracos

If you want to go over the top you can always make slings out of masking tape and have the rifles slung over their shoulders. I did that with my LT (and then GW dropped an infiltrator/intercessor with that pose) so the rifle is there for WYSIWYG. It hasn't broken on me yet but I might consider replacing with heavier duty tape if it ever does.

Hidden Content

KUm2TZYh.jpg

Edited by thewarriorhunter

:)

I was just thinking of your model this morning on the way to work. Where did you get the bolt rifle sans the hands? Please say I’ll see it on the Intercessors sprue when I get home. Lol

I took one and carved the hand off. If you look closely there is not a lot of detail. Just a lot of patience with a hobby knife and file.

And here I was thinking "Oh he probably just clipped a grip off an extra bolt pistol and glued it on". Instead you opted to carve one out of a hand.

This then prompts two immediate thoughts in me:

1. Bravo to you good sir!
  2. Why are you the way you are?

I took one and carved the hand off. If you look closely there is not a lot of detail. Just a lot of patience with a hobby knife and file.

And here I was thinking "Oh he probably just clipped a grip off an extra bolt pistol and glued it on". Instead you opted to carve one out of a hand.

This then prompts two immediate thoughts in me:

1. Bravo to you good sir!
  2. Why are you the way you are?

I hate myself. Which is why I magnetize too much, paint in sub-assemblies, and try to make assault marines a viable unit on the table.

Realistically though I think at heart I'm a scale modeler. I love the little details and I think that's what makes a model cool. I'm also a snowflake and need to be unique so when you combine those two you have a recipe for disaster. I've strongly considered jumping into Bolt Action because it would give me my WWII scale model fix but I don't have time for another system.

Really though it wasn't too hard to get the hand off. Just tedious.

• 2 weeks later...

Need touch up and a place to put the Bolt Rifles, but these boys are in the Smash Captain training program . . . sooner Primaris HQs get full options, sooner I can do more conversions. Tor Garadon converted to a Plasma and Powerfist Captain in a week or two.

med_gallery_7985_14167_114381.jpg

Pulverizing with Hans and Franz ;)

Escalation League: Hans couldn't get to the Demon Prince before the vile creature died to combined Inceptor and Eliminator shooting. Franz got a lucky charge off against Cultist on their Objective, after emerging from the Shadows, with his squad of Bolt Rifle Intercessors. Then they went to work on a squad of Rubric Marines. A good night for 3 sets of models hitting the table for the first time. It was a short game but I took a few pics. I'll post it in my Battle Reports tomorrow.

I don't call many people liars but I am really close to that right now. 3 new units hit the table and performed?

bef4ef152bb3fee194b2c2d2d8cdaefd.jpg

They're supposed to fail every shot, save, and die horribly without performing in their first outing, everyone knows that!

:teehee:

A good night for 3 sets of models hitting the table for the first time. 

I suppose we could say the Hammer Sgts were already part of the Bolt Rifle squads and were "veterans" of the Escalation League :) . . . . The Intceptors, I have no clue. I might I lost two, mostly to mortal wounds, by time my opponent conceded the game. I think they were working overtime . . . because they were a total pain in the butt to stay glued to their GW flight stands. :)

Used him in couple games this week. First one totally wasted against a Iron Hands list. He didn't have psykers and I totally messed up my first shot at using his powers. Second game had a couple (Chief Librarian) denies that helped turn the game against an Alaitoc (?) Eldar list.

med_gallery_7985_14167_549603.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I'm just rambling a bit. I finally had decided to not use the two boxes of Centurions I purchased a while back and focus on Primaris units. I am/was hoping to trade them for a couple a Warsuits. Trying to hold off in case something new Primaris is released this Spring/Summer. I like the Warsuits well enough but if we're getting Primaris Bikers I'm all in on that :)

While review what else I could do with my list I remembered the Xiphon Interceptors that are sitting in the bottom a drawer. They're beautiful models and I actually like the rules but again, I'm hoping to stay more true to the Primaris theme. I thought "Hey, maybe Warsuits and Primaris Bikes are in my future?" So I went to see what they're selling for . . . 

. . . and Holy Emperor, I bought the darn things for about 80 bucks each less than two years ago, and now they're almost 140. What in the heck happened at Forge World? I don't collect with a eye for making anything from it. My comic book collector phase is decades behind me, but anyone else sitting on Forge World models out there just collecting dust  bunnies might want to take a look at their current value. What to do with it I'm not sure but take a look.

FW prices went up when they started distribution from the US, along with the other 'normal' price increases that we've seen through the years. If you're looking to sell one and not turn a huge profit I may know someone...

I love the looks of that flyer as well as the Tempest Land Speeder. The Tempest reminds me so much of the computer game, Descent, that I used to play as a kid with my dad and friends in LAN parties.