Primaris Chapter: Warhawks **News and Events**

Dracos

When naming my units in my raptors I went with birds of prey names....Owls are my dreadnoughts, Vultures are Predators, Hawks are my Stormhawks, and Ospreys are my Stormtalons

So "Osprey 21" would be a Stormtalon squadron?

Unless you design your own vehicle variants, I don't think it's a good idea to give a vehicle alternate names- calling a Stormtalon an "Osprey," being one example- due to the confusion it may cause. It DOES make sense to use alternate names for unit designations, i.e., for squads, platoons, companies, wings (in the case of Flyers), etc. To confuse the enemy, these alternate names need their own alternate names, e.g., use "Vulture 81" to refer to a Predator squadron in one campaign, and "Buzzard 61" to refer to the same squadron in the next.

Pretty much the current Campaign the Storm Talon Squadron would be designated Osprey 1-3 and like you said next campaign they would change names. Only exception is Little Birds which are the LSS, which Little Bird II is assigned to Scout Squad II.

Best use "alternative numbers"- "101" in place of "1", "31" in place of "3"- to confuse the enemy, hiding your own numbers so they don't know what's coming for them, forcing the enemy to station 1000 soldiers to defend Fort A from a mere 10-Marine Scout Squad, station a mere 100 soldiers to defend Fort B from a full Company with armor and air support, and other shenanigans.

I'll be saving the painting of the Inceptors and Hellblasters for ETL .... along with the Xiphon Interceptor and Raven Guard Contemptor that I finally was able to order off Forge World. Huzzah :wub:

.... so yeah I'm totally invested in more ways than one in the ETL now lol.

Intercessors are definitely at top of the "to paint" list though.

Puppetswar came through with the desert head bits I ordered. I'm just not sure I think they scale properly on the Primaris body? At the very worse I'll use them for the Sniper Scouts when I get to them

I was able to get the Hellblaster bodies below prepped over past few days off. Will try to finish the last five during this week rotation (3rd shift meh)

My collector gene is kicking in. I’ve been eyeing the Knight Errant recently . . . must focus on my Infantry (for now).

Edited by Inquisitor Dracos

http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/mediawiki/images/thumb/3/3f/KnightErrantNew.jpg/270px-KnightErrantNew.jpg

This is going to be my reward for completing at least 3 successful Vows for ETL ... Or a wedding gift to myself in the fall ;)

Adjustments made to the Big FAQ. All Infantry, all Primaris (sans Shrike and Scouts) Just updating my “base” army list with ETL coming up.

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [62 PL, 841pts] ++

**Chapter Selection**: Warhawks <Raven Guard>

+ HQ +

Primaris Captain w/Power Fist <converted Grav Captain>  [6 PL, 106pts]: Plasma pistol, Power fist, The Armour Indomitus. 
. Warlord: The Imperium's Sword

Primaris Captain [6 PL, 92pts]: Master-crafted stalker bolt rifle.

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 109pts]: Bolt rifle, Auxiliary grenade launcher, 5x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 108pts]: Bolt rifle, 5x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Scout Squad [10 PL, 76pts]
. Scout Sergeant: Boltgun, Combat knife
. 4x Scout w/Boltgun
. Scout w/Heavy Weapon: Heavy bolter

+ Elites +

Aggressor Squad [12 PL, 185pts]: 4x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant, Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

+ Heavy Support +

Hellblaster Squad [8 PL, 165pts]: Plasma incinerator
. 4x Hellblaster
. Hellblaster Sergeant: Bolt pistol

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [80 PL, 1159pts] ++

**Chapter Selection**: Warhawks <Raven Guard>

+ HQ +

Corvin Kestrel <Kayvaan Shrike, converted Inceptor> [8 PL, 150pts]

Primaris Captain [6 PL, 92pts]: Master-crafted stalker bolt rifle

+ Troops +

Intercessor Squad [10 PL, 108pts]: Bolt rifle, 5x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant

Scout Squad [10 PL, 76pts]
. 4x Scout w/Boltgun

+ Fast Attack +

Inceptor Squad [20 PL, 295pts]: 4x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant, Plasma Exterminator

+ Heavy Support +

. 4x Hellblaster

. 4x Hellblaster

++ Total: [+10CP, 142 PL, 2000pts] ++

Sadly the Reivers had to go. I just didn't feel they brought enough oumph compared to a third unit of Hellblasters. I've seen enough Battle Reports to know if the Hellblasters don't get some work done early they'll be dead by Turn Two latest. With the new rules I have enough CP to SftS with a Captain and two Hellblaster units to either accompany the Aggresors (and Indomitus Captain), or deploy in a separate part of the field, to be reinforced by Chapter Master Kestrel <Shrike> and the Inceptors Turn Two. Obviously, much of who goes where and when will of course depend on who has Initiative.

This build is suppose to be competitive as I think I can make possible using all Primaris models (except Scouts). Maybe GW will make Reivers infiltrating Troops one day, but I'm not holding my breath.

Bonus, everything except the Scouts is going to be part of my first Vow for ETL.  Plan on making the FW Contemptor,  Xiphon, and/or/either the converted Scouts or some converted Characters the next two Vows so as to "earn" that sweet looking Knight Errant above. 

• 2 weeks later...

I, Inquisitor Dracos, rise to the challenge of E Tenebris Lux on the side of Codex: Space Marines for the honor of the Warhawks Primaris <Raven Guard>. My vow is to complete ...

+Troops + Intercessor Squad [6], 109pts
- auxiliary grenade launcher

+ Heavy Support + Hellblaster Squad [5 x3], (165pts x3)

+ Flyer + Xiphon Interceptor [1], (240pts) for a Total: [844 pts]

... on or before August 1st, 2018. Success will bring me eternal glory. Failure will doom my soul and force me to wear the Badge of the Oathbreaker until the year end.

Cross fingers hoping to have them base coated and shaded by next week with just basing and some highlight/details to call done. Then I can start the Xiphon which I’m under hyped to get done ... finally have a army list it fits in also ... but I need to drop the Interceptors and add a second 5 man Aggressor squad to get the lost to work ... oh and convert my Reivers to Scouts ... so yeah there’s all that lol.

• 2 weeks later...

Going to use these to replace the power packs on the Reivers for my Primaris "Scouts" conversion.

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/camouflage-cloaks-28mm?search=cloaks

http://anvilindustry.co.uk/wasteland-cloaks-28mm?search=cloaks

Adding these to the Desert heads from Puppets War and the FW HH heavy bolter pack

https://puppetswar.eu/product.php?id_product=277

Should make the unit unique enough to count as Scouts

That's a chunk of change for bitz for three "cheap" Troop choices, but the visual continuity is worth it to me.

Sticking with the basic Warhawk colors using Army Painter spray primers

The Desert Heads are going to start at Drake Tooth the two levels of drybrush. Brainmatter Beige topped with Matt White. Dragon Red eyes.

Army Green

- cape, torso, codpiece, shoulders (not using pauldrons)

Desert Yellow

- arms and legs

Leather Brown

- gloves and boots

Matt Black

- bolters, pistols and combat blades

This is my first project planned post ETL and will make the army playable. 

Just got my 2 Sentry Guns: HB in from Forge World and will be making them a follow up Vow. They end up in about half the list I have planned so far, but mostly I like the way they look and want to feature them the "Scouts" and Xiphon in the Index Tactica: Warhawk Primaris.

• 1 month later...

OMG where has summer gone. Between work and vacations I haven't cracked a paint pot open in weeks. Good news is I'm on days for two weeks and a week vacation after that so time to finish the Vow.

I cheated and ordered the Renegade Box. The price value was too good to pass up for something I knew I was going to do eventually.

I'm excited about Kill Team. I'm looking forward to building a Primaris Warhawk Kill Team .... after I complete the First Vow.

• 5 months later...

Due to popular demand (1) I'll post the post Chapter Approved 2018 I'm finally starting to assemble.

- I try to maintain what I hope will appear as a Primaris Chapter. Thus the Scouts will be converted Reivers (will hold on to the leftover bitz as I still holding out hope they get Infiltration ability someday) and of course the Xiphons and Tarantulas make the list mainly because I just like the models. Head canon has the "Scouts" setting up the Tarantulas in hidden locations before the battle starts in Raven Guard fashion ... and the Xiphons are cool factor because the Mortis Contemptor would probably be better choice for the points. 

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [58 PL, 1000pts] ++

**Chapter Selection**: Raven Guard

+ HQ [12 PL, 170pts] +

Primaris Captain [6 PL, 83pts]: Master-crafted stalker bolt rifle

Primaris Captain [6 PL, 87pts]: Master-crafted stalker bolt rifle, Power sword, The Burning Blade, The Imperium's Sword, Warlord

+ Troops [16 PL, 243pts] +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 89pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle
. 4x Intercessor
. Intercessor Sergeant: Power sword

. 4x Intercessor
. Intercessor Sergeant : Power sword

Scout Squad [6 PL, 65pts]
. Scout Sergeant: Combat Knife, Boltgun
. 3x Scout w/Boltgun

+ Fast Attack [3 PL, 37pts] +

Tarantula Sentry Gun [3 PL, 37pts]
. Tarantula Sentry Gun: Twin heavy bolter

+ Heavy Support [16 PL, 330pts] +

. 4x Hellblaster

. 4x Hellblaster

+ Flyer [11 PL, 220pts] +

Xiphon Interceptor: 2x Twin lascannon, Xiphon missile battery

++ Total: [58 PL, 1000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Hellblasters are painted and almost assembled. Will be painting the Intercessors (half assembled already) next. Still designing the Reivers and hoping the discontinued FW HH heavy bolters work with the Scouts (Reivers). Xiphon and Tarantula will be a quick project just wishing I coulsd the assault cannons on the Sentry Guns. Damn things cost more than the lascannons now :( Would be nice if they had the <Chapter> designation I'd love to use SftS with them.

SO as you see not exactly an optimized list but it has all the building blocks to get me started, sans a real Primaris transport. Even with point drop I just do not like the Repulsor. Either give me an equivilant to the Predator or the Rhino, not some hybrid of both. I'll be adding another set of Troops built almost exactly the same for the next 1000 points. Instead of Hellblasters I'll be building some combination of two-five man squads of Aggressors, another Xiphon, maybe Mortis Contemptor and additional Sentry Gun? I'll definitely be building Count As Shrike conversion and five man Plasma Interceptor team.  That's away down the road though.

Why didn't Hellblasters go down a point when Intercessors did? Same basic Marine body. Did they decide the Bolt Rifle wasn't worth a point?  It's my thread I can derail it at a moments notice. :happy.:

I like the list a lot!

I think the point reductions were mostly contextual. Hellblasters were getting play, so they ddint get a redux. Interceptors however weren't really, so they got cheaper.

What boggles the mind is the other two plas variants and their cost. They need to be cheaper, as the rapid fire variant is virtually the best in most scenarios.

Jacques Corbin, I suspect your buddy's Chapter choice makes playing the Heavy Incinerators a good choice for his army. Between his HQ options and Chapter strategems DA are the army to play if your weapon of choice is plasma. Weapons From the Dark Age alone at 1 CP is a strong argument for playing DA. Having cool lore, rules, and a color scheme ... If I was the kind of guy to play one of the Big4 it would be Dark Angels.

... but I prefer to think of myself as a more Reasonable Marine ;)

This is the first list I'm looking at for 2000 points. So I might have to tweak the 1k list a bit. I've got this idea I really need a double battalion and I'm not sure why. Although I haven't seen it I think it's because I think between Vigilus Formations for Primaris and how I plan using SftS, I'll need all the CP I can get my hands on. While not exactly in the same track as Grey Crow, I really expect all the flashy toys to die while the Intercessors score points. I'm sad the Xiphons have to go but I'll keep playing with the idea of double Xiphons ... because I own them lol.  All this and still haven't thought about how to use the FW Raven Guard Mortis Contemptor' No wonder the Loyal 32 are so damn popular with the uber-competitive (which is funny because I think they're a fluffy addition in any Imperial army).

++ Double Battalion Detachment +10CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [124 PL, 2000pts] ++

+ HQ [26 PL, 411pts] +

Kayvaan Shrike [8 PL, 150pts]: Warlord

Primaris Captain [6 PL, 86pts]: Master-crafted auto bolt rifle, Power sword

Primaris Captain w/Power Fist [6 PL, 92pts]: Plasma pistol, Power fist, The Armour Indomitus

+ Troops [32 PL, 466pts] +

. 4x Intercessor

. 4x Intercessor

. 4x Intercessor

. 4x Intercessor

Scout Squad [6 PL, 55pts]
. 4x Scout w/Boltgun

Scout Squad [6 PL, 55pts]
. 4x Scout w/Boltgun

+ Elites [24 PL, 370pts] +

Aggressor Squad [12 PL, 185pts]: 4x Aggressor, Aggressor Sergeant, Auto Boltstorm Gauntlets/Fragstorm Grenade Launcher

+ Fast Attack [26 PL, 423pts] +

Inceptor Squad [20 PL, 295pts]: 4x Inceptor, Inceptor Sergeant, Plasma Exterminator

Tarantula Sentry Gun [3 PL, 64pts]
. Tarantula Sentry Gun [64pts]: Twin assault cannon

Tarantula Sentry Gun [3 PL, 64pts]
. Tarantula Sentry Gun [64pts]: Twin assault cannon

Hellblaster Squad [165pts]: Plasma incinerator
. 4x Hellblaster
. Hellblaster Sergeant]: Bolt pistol

Hellblaster Squad [165pts]: Plasma incinerator
. 4x Hellblaster

++ Total: [124 PL, 2000pts] ++

Created with BattleScribe

Damn Primaris are expensive per model :D

To expound on the tactical concept : I feel the need for a double Battalion because I see a lot of ability for causing misdirection during the deployment phase. 9

First: I plan on going second. So I need 2 CP to use the Prepared Positions Strategem. Never been so glad to ave been wrong about us losing -1 to be hit. Knowing my Power Armor will have a -1 to be hit and a +2 save means not worrying overly about shooting. Although sad, not having the Xiphons means any anti-tank weapons the opponent brings will lack proper targets.

Second: While generally the Sentry Guns are meh - especially the Assault Cannons being overcosted imo now. I plan on using them to add a weight of fire in particular areas. Either reinforcing Intercessors close to an Objective or guarding the flank of the Hellblasters and/or Aggressors. Preferably close enough to take advantage of one of the Captains. Also they will be the first thing to go if GW ever gives Primaris a reasonable transport (Whispercutter ;))

Third: SftS shenanigans. I'm going to practice deployment order and spacing with an eye on shifting four units on average so there's 4CP (6 Total) gone before the game begins. Whether its Scouts shifting to intercept a potential first turn charge, or shift to an Objective for first turn scoring. It's a matter or reading your opponent pregame, and how they set up during the deployment phase. Two unts that were 2 feet apart are suddenly both taking an objective in the same set of ruins, or after the movement phase two Hellblaster units that were 30+ inches apart are now almost merged combining there firepower with a Captain that seemed to be babysitting the Sentry Guns. Too many possibilities to cover in a simple discussion.

Fourth: Don't panic and bring in the Plasma Inceptors too soon. These guys are expensive and wanting to "get your points back" is understandable ... but only if it serves the overall game plan. I'm not a fan of Reivers but I might end up dropping the Sentry Guns and adding a squad of Reivers to assist the Inceptors when they drop down - my issue with that is after the drop Reivers mobility is basically no better than any infantry and to get best use of them you need a secondary target/objective they can handle, which isn't much imo. Still I have no compunctuation about holding the Inceptor until Turn 3 if need be. I have found in the past sacrificing a unit to an aggressive opponent will get him to manuever out of position and give me opening I needed to get to that unit that was bubble wrapped so well on turn one.

Enough babbling time to finish gluing the Hellblasters. I'll need to touch up the paint but Ishould have pics of 15 of these bad boys by Sunday and start the Intercessors next week.

Just making notes for modular build at 500 point increments. I want to test the above with the one below for tournament worthiness when I get around to building the Inceptors.

++Patrol Detachment +0 CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [33 PL, 499pts] ++
**Chapter Selection**: Warhawks (Raven Guard)

+ HQ [5 PL, 75pts] +

Primaris Lieutenant [5 PL, 75pts]: Master-crafted stalker bolt rifle

+ Troops [17 PL, 199pts] +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Bolt rifle
. 4x Intercessor, Intercessor Sergeant: Combat knife

Scout Squad [6 PL, 57pts]
. 4x Scout w/Boltgun, Scout Sergeant: Combat knife, Storm bolter

+ Fast Attack [3 PL, 60pts] +

Tarantula Sentry Gun [3 PL, 60pts] : Twin lascannon 

+ Heavy Support [8 PL, 165pts] +

. 4x Hellblaster, Hellblaster Sergeant 

++ Total: [33 PL, 499pts] ++

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [57 PL, 999pts] ++
**Chapter Selection**: Warhawks (Raven Guard)

+ HQ + [11PL, 158pts] +

+ Troops +

+ Fast Attack +

Tarantula Sentry Gun [3 PL, 64pts] : Twin assault cannon

+ Heavy Support +

+ Flyer +

Xiphon Interceptor [11 PL, 220pts]: 2x Twin lascannon, Xiphon missile battery

++ Total: [57 PL, 999pts] ++

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [80 PL, 1497pts] ++

+ HQ [11 PL, 158pts] +

+ Troops [20 PL, 340pts] +

Intercessor Squad [5 PL, 85pts]: Auxiliary Grenade Launcher, Stalker Bolt rifle

+ Fast Attack [3 PL, 64pts] +

Tarantula Sentry Gun [3 PL, 64pts] : Twin assault cannon

+ Heavy Support [24 PL, 495pts] +

+ Flyer [22 PL, 440pts] +

++ Total: [80 PL, 1497pts] ++

++ Battalion Detachment +5CP (Imperium - Space Marines) [120 PL, 2000pts] ++

+ HQ [23 PL, 342pts] +

Primaris Captain [6 PL, 83pts]: Master-crafted stalker bolt rifle [5pts]

Primaris Lieutenant [5 PL, 75pts]: Master-crafted stalker bolt rifle [5pts]

Primaris Captain w/Power Fist [6 PL, 92pts]: Plasma pistol, Power fist

Primaris Captain w/Power Fist [6 PL, 92pts]: Plasma pistol, Power fist

+ Troops [32 PL, 454pts] +

+ Elites [24 PL, 370pts] +

+ Fast Attack [3 PL, 64pts] +

Tarantula Sentry Gun [3 PL, 64pts]: Twin assault cannon

+ Flyer [22 PL, 440pts] +

++ Total: [120 PL, 2000pts] ++

Tactical plans are similar above. I'll go into a bit more detail on the overall combat doctrine in my next post. As you can tell I've decided the Warhawks make extensive use of Xiphons and Sentry Guns.