Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Will Grey Knights be fixed by the March FAQ?

• Please log in to reply
92 replies to this topic

Gentlemanloser

Gentlemanloser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,262 posts
Multi meltas effective range is 24".

They get a small average damage boost at 1/2 range, but remain fully effective at 24".

The Psycanno was (from its ward inception, not its original hand gun form) nothing more than an assault cannon with +1S. And a firing mode that allowed it to be useable when moving. At reduced efficiency.

It should retain the assault cannons current stats, with +1S.

All it needs is a firing mode with reduced shots that negates the -1 hit penalty for moving a heavy weapon.

Not 1/2 shots as the bonus is no longer that good. You can move and fire every heavy now anyway.

Maybe

Heavy 6, S7 AP-1 D1 or
Heavy 4, S7 AP-1 D1 no penalty to hit if moved

Heck Just keep it as is and bake in the no hit penalty.

Edited by Gentlemanloser, Yesterday, 10:34 PM.

QUOTE (Seahawk @ Jul 30 2011, 05:31 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
We all feel different ways about different rules, but if you're traveling between different gaming groups or to tournaments, the only commonality is the rules as they are written. If you can get your opponent to agree with you on house-ruling something then that changes things, but until then all we can do is go by how things are written.

Schlitzaf

Schlitzaf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 893 posts
  • Chapter Name: Black Templar: Dalthus Crusade
Gentle that was my intention with having Pyscannons become Rapid 3 just for clarity sake. But your way works too.
PEbafT7.png?1http://www.bolterand...althus-crusade/
Wish List:
BT Crusader Biker- http://www.bolterand...igensian-squad/
BT Primaris Crusaders - (WIP)
"Proper Tool for the Proper Job"

Gentlemanloser

Gentlemanloser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,262 posts
Rapid 3 is ok, but changes the design from static/movement to get in close.

Thinking about it, my suggestion doesn't work either. There would rarely be the time you'd want to choose the 4 shot mode without penalty.

Hmmm.

I think a better solution would be Assault 3 with a special rule to shoot twice if you stand still. Much like nids have.

That would being it back to the 6 shots of an AC, and let you shoot when moving without penalty.

Edited by Gentlemanloser, Yesterday, 10:46 PM.

We all feel different ways about different rules, but if you're traveling between different gaming groups or to tournaments, the only commonality is the rules as they are written. If you can get your opponent to agree with you on house-ruling something then that changes things, but until then all we can do is go by how things are written.

Schlitzaf

Schlitzaf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 893 posts
Isn’t that a rule for their Russ Equivalent?
If we wanted to stick your idea honestly Heavy 5 or Assault 3 if moving likely be the best solution.
Wish List:

Gentlemanloser

Gentlemanloser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,262 posts
Yeah Russes also have it for thier main gun.

Capt. Mytre

Capt. Mytre

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 116 posts
Nothing here solves the lack of ranged anti-tank. You're just killing more MEQ/TEQ.

Gentlemanloser

Gentlemanloser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,262 posts
The Psycannon wasn't ranged anti tank.

What we should be asking for is psybolt autocannons back.

And access to Mortis Dreads, which GW have denied us.

Edit. As for the Psilencer id rip the old Psycannon rule from the Daemonhunter Codex and let it ignore Invulnerable saves.

It shoots pure mind bullets. And with a low S isn't obnoxious if it ignored I saves.

Edited by Gentlemanloser, Today, 12:17 AM.

• Capt. Mytre likes this

Schlitzaf

Schlitzaf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 893 posts
Gentle that rule is a rule only given to an army “Battle Tank” (ironically GK version be either Dreadknight or a Dreadnought). Not to a weapon itself.
  • Capt. Mytre likes this
Wish List:

Gentlemanloser

Gentlemanloser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,262 posts
It does the same as the nids weapon beast rule (or whatever it's name is).

Remain stationary, shoot twice.

Easy to add to the weapon itself, instead of a units datasheet.

I feel it's currently the closest way to get back to the old dual profile of the ward dex psycannon.

Doesn't even need a name. Just a property of the weapon.

Edited by Gentlemanloser, Today, 12:38 AM.

Schlitzaf

Schlitzaf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 893 posts
Gentle, because the Nid units that have it, Tyrannofex and DakkaFexes are Tyranid “Line Tanks”. I’d need to double check, but I am pretty sure no BS3+ army gets that rule. And it’ll be a dangerous route to go down to give that to a weapon.
Wish List:

Gentlemanloser

Gentlemanloser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,262 posts
Why? No different if the psycannon was 48" rapid fire 3.

except That's miles better than what I'm suggesting.

Schlitzaf

Schlitzaf

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 893 posts
I mean I dunno as said I’d prefer 24 Rapid 3 just for simplicity or Assault 3 Heavy 5. The latter so you can advance and shoot.
Wish List:

Capt. Mytre

Capt. Mytre

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 116 posts
GM, ignore what psycannons used to be. New edition, new rules, new fluff.

They can be whatever we want them to be, your limiting yourself to past editions. You can't fix GK with that thinking, when other armies are getting total rewrites of rules.

Reclusiarch Darius

Reclusiarch Darius

++ PUNITOR FURENS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,390 posts

Just make psycannons Damage 2. Doesn't need anything else really.

Psilencer is fine IMO. It's a horde clearer that still threatens 2-3W infantry like Primaris or Terminators if they fail their save. It's like a ranged force weapon, which was the intention last edition. 'Psychic Onslaught' and 'Psybolt Ammunition' just need to be 1CP instead of 2CP.

• Capt. Mytre likes this

"Already, you exalt me for my triumphs, when I ask only that you remember me for my treacheries.
Victory is nothing more than survival. It carries no weight of honour or worth beyond what we ascribe to it.
If you wish to grow wise, learn why brothers betray brothers."

Grand Master Khyron, Eighth Brotherhood

"One unbreakable shield against the coming darkness, One last blade, forged in defiance of fate,
Let them be my legacy to the galaxy I conquered. And my final gift to the species I failed."

Inscription upon the Arcus Daemonica, attributed to the Emperor of Mankind

Capt. Mytre

Capt. Mytre

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 116 posts

Just make psycannons Damage 2. Doesn't need anything else really.

Psilencer is fine IMO. It's a horde clearer that still threatens 2-3W infantry like Primaris or Terminators if they fail their save. It's like a ranged force weapon, which was the intention last edition. 'Psychic Onslaught' and 'Psybolt Ammunition' just need to be 1CP instead of 2CP.

Again, this is the issue. 2 dmg makes the psycannon the go to choice for anti-TEQ over the psilencer. It still leaves us with no ranged anti-tank that isn't vehicle mounted.

Both weapons need distinct roles with minimal overlap.

Reclusiarch Darius

Reclusiarch Darius

++ PUNITOR FURENS ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,390 posts

As it should be, psycannon was always for killing tougher infantry and for light vehicle killing.

Psilencer will still be taken because D3 has the potential to blow out to 3 damage, it has two more shots and its cheaper.

We always had that issue in every edition, even 5th. Daemons aren't vehicles, they require overwhelming brute force and magick to destroy. Our infantry warfare doctrines represent this. Incinerator is for burning down swarms, psilencer is for tearing down tough infantry, psycannon for bringing down larger daemons. Anti-tank has always been either allied-in or brought on our vehicle pool. 

"Already, you exalt me for my triumphs, when I ask only that you remember me for my treacheries.
Victory is nothing more than survival. It carries no weight of honour or worth beyond what we ascribe to it.
If you wish to grow wise, learn why brothers betray brothers."

Grand Master Khyron, Eighth Brotherhood

"One unbreakable shield against the coming darkness, One last blade, forged in defiance of fate,
Let them be my legacy to the galaxy I conquered. And my final gift to the species I failed."

Inscription upon the Arcus Daemonica, attributed to the Emperor of Mankind

Gentlemanloser

Gentlemanloser

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 14,262 posts
Except for they daemon engines. They're daemon vehicles. ;)

Waking Dreamer

Waking Dreamer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 402 posts
  • Chapter Name: Grey Knights

As it should be, psycannon was always for killing tougher infantry and for light vehicle killing.

Psilencer will still be taken because D3 has the potential to blow out to 3 damage, it has two more shots and its cheaper.

We always had that issue in every edition, even 5th. Daemons aren't vehicles, they require overwhelming brute force and magick to destroy. Our infantry warfare doctrines represent this. Incinerator is for burning down swarms, psilencer is for tearing down tough infantry, psycannon for bringing down larger daemons. Anti-tank has always been either allied-in or brought on our vehicle pool. 

I'm hoping they change the Psycannon to D2 just like the Heavy Psycannon. If they do that I would believe that their new feedback system CAN work.

I agree that this slight (but hope fulfilling) change, would make all the Infantry models equipped with a psycannon (and that's a lot of models) have some actual potential on the tabletop! The Psilencer definitely has it's place against the (hopefully) new D2 Psycannon because the former's D1d3 STILL averages the same Damage per shot, but has 2 extra shots while it is 50%-83% cheaper. 

As mentioned, I will definitely be smiling if the Psycannon becomes D2 but personally, I would love for them to tweak it to AP-2 as well. Not in lascannon territory, but keeping with its traditional S7 and having multiple shots (4 shots and 6 shots for the H.Psyc), AP-2 is alright. It forces most vehicles to make 5+ armour save without having to burn 2CPs, and for 24" range c'mon its fair...

• Kallas likes this

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users