What's up Dark Eldar?

brother_b

The Drew-CAR-ey...

Yeah, it's going to be a fun ride.

I don't care what GW says, they're Dark Eldar.  Fortunately, everyone seems to be OK with that though I'm starting to get raised eyebrows when I refer to my Imperial Guard army . . . :sweat:

The Drew-CAR-ey...

Yeah, it's going to be a fun ride.

I don't care what GW says, they're Dark Eldar.  Fortunately, everyone seems to be OK with that though I'm starting to get raised eyebrows when I refer to my Imperial Guard army . . . :sweat:

As yet, I haven't been pulled into the calling them "Drukhari" bandwagon. I spend a lot of time reading and talking about Dark Eldar though, and in my head the new name is starting to normalize. I honestly don't know if I'm ok with that.

There were already a number of different names for Dark Eldar before they chose to make up a brand new one. The True Kin. Commorrites. And the Dark Eldar name for themselves is "Eladrith Ynneas."

"Adeptus Astartes" and "Astra Militarum" made sense, because they were long-established in the lore. "Aeldari" and "Drukhari" just seem kind of random and arbitrary.

I still say "Imperial Guard," out of long-ingrained habit as much as anything else. I'm a little surprised that you're getting an eyebrow over it, but I guess that's probably inevitable. Given that, I should probably avoid calling them "Ig" if I want the kids these days to understand what I'm talking about.

Durkhari doesn't bother me that much, end of the day it's just a name and the same old lore and models didn't change at all with the name change which is what matters. I still use dark eldar out of habit but sometimes find myself using Drukhari. 

I'd really like to use Eladrith Ynneas since that feels like the proper name, not some name the Mon-Keigh gave us but no one would have any idea what I was talking about if I did that. :ermm:

At some point, that just makes you sound like a hipster, like the wolves players who call their army the Rout.

I don’t mind Drukhari, it rolls nice off the tongue and doesn’t sound as corny and “edgy” as DARK Eldar.

Aeldari does sound kind of silly and overwrought, so I still call them the Eldar when referring to the entire species.

Regarding the model discussion on the previous page,

Visarch makes for a nice Drazhar with an Incubus helmet.

I feel Dark Eldar is something a guardsman might use. It's simple, it's Laymen's terms. 

Drukhari, their home tongue, used by the Aeldari and learned Xenos investigators like the Inquisition and Death Watch.

Anyway, yeah.

I've picked up quite the little army. I need to firm up my final list, as well as a color scheme.

Cheers!

Dark Eldar as a term they use for themselves always sounded a bit gauche, as I've always hated the idea of the Dark Eldar seeing themselves as evil in any way. Even Drukhari sounds a little wrong in-universe. To me, or at least my Archon, they'll always just be the True Kin.

I'd think dark elder would refer to themselves as "Eldar" as they are the Eldar who remained true to their ways, see also "true kin". Craftworld Eldar would be the ones with a different name. They'd be like, "constipated no fun Eldar" or something.

Archived