+By all means, Brother-Techmarine.+ he replied over the vox and checking his in-helmet display to see that it was indeed Sabaan who had followed him out of the passanger cabin +How may I be of assistance?+

He was a bit surprised that, of all the Battle-Brothers gathered, it was the Techmarine who wanted a private word with him first but, of all those he’d like to get to know better, Sabaan was at the top of his list due to how...different Techmarines tended to be.

Atratus watched as each brother in turn spoke and acted in turn. Before their vessel reached its target one must be chosen to lead. Khyber and Akkad had seemed first to seek bonds but a split already formed between them and the likes of Vârvost and Sabaan, while Greysight and Tyber both shunned the call.

The son of Sanguinius, Solastion, appeared more grounded... but a compromise. Atratus watched Sabaan turn to follow the apothecary suspecting that matters of command were on more minds than his own.

The Raptor considered challenging Vârvost himself, but accepted such an act would undermine any attempt by another to assert their leadership. Setting the issue aside he turned to the Interrogator. "When you have collected yourself I would know of the planet, our target, and your mistress."

Atratus:

The Interrogator looks up at Atratus. Without the presence of his tormentors he has managed to regain some composure. 

"C-certainly. I can tell you what I know, but I must reassert that I was not fully part of Inquisitrix Lythea's investigations as I had to tend to other matters. Syndalla is in most regards an unremarkable agri-world, designated to grow crops and deliver them further in-sector - their shipments of food crops and domesticated animals sustain hive cities, even whole crusades of the Astra Militarum. Much of the world is devoted to farmland. There is one major city, the seat of Imperial governance - known as Serbourg. Governance is hereditary and there is a noble class mostly comprised of landowners that cluster in the capital."

The shuddering lessens somewhat.

"The Inquisitrix serves the Ordo Xenos and has done so for at least a century. I know that she spent the earlier part of her career among the coreward edge of the Swordpoint Stars, part of Sector Dalthus. Her later investigations have drawn her out to the further reaches where it is easier for our foes to hide from the light of the Emperor." 

The Interrogator fixes his gaze on the Raptor, his chin jutting out and his eyes passionate. 

"I might not possess your strength, but if my mistress has fallen then I will give everything to ensuring she is avenged."

Tyber:

The data-slate you were able to requisition from Azurea's librarium provides you with some illuminating accounts of genestealer infestation. Perhaps the most striking is the fall of Ghosar Quintus, an account from 680.M41 of an Ultramarine Chaplain by the name of Cassius who lead a retaliatory mission after a first Kill-Team was lost. You are able to read accounts from the Kill-Team members of desperate battles in the depths of the mining world, of the capabilities of the genestealer xenoform and of the vile and dramatic changes wrought upon those under their sway - the so called 'Hybrids' and 'Neophytes.' 

"It is not your strength that should concern you Interrogator, as I suspect your greatest use will be that of lure. We cannot know the extent of the infection of this world if it does not move against us openly, but you will doubtless be a target."

Atratus paused to consider the odds that the kill team might face. The ships records would show the nature of the city and its defenders, but recalling the Interrogators words the problem seemed to have originated in the farmlands.

"Accompany me to the ships librarium, we will review the planets defences. I suggest you assemble a record of those individuals most likely to have been targeted for subversion and those most likely to have resisted. When we arrive those who greet us and those who are absent may provide insight into the spread of the xenoform."

(OOC - needn't be done in any detail)

"We were all once mortals, never forget that."

The Novamarine shook his head.  Akkad's eyes flicked from one figure to another in the hold, a raised eyebrow at the barbed jest of Varvost, but nothing more.  The Interrogator seemed poorly equipped to handle this.  Akkad felt a small prickle of amusement.  If the Interrogator was hiding something - and he did not find the legs of a star sailor soon, he may be inclined to spill his guts in other ways...

The Storm Son was now arrayed in his battle armour.  The rivets, studs and frames of his armour formed crenellations designed to dare any who would strike him with immediate reciprocation, like a mailed fist - but more than this - they kept others, anyone, at bay.  His whole posture and design spoke of outrage and whether he knew it or not, probably so Akkad reflected, where he was silent, observant and brooding, his armour and accoutrements shouted as to what he was.

He fought down the urge to curl his lip - not at the Storm Son before him, but at Lugft Huron's special division of troops called Retaliators.  Bullies in life, tyrants in ascendance to Astartes, they crafted spikes onto their armour to inflict pain - not retaliation.  They were the hand of Vendetta, not holy vengeance.  On other worlds, at other times they would have been called Thugs.  Greysight was as far from them as he could be, it was simply the little differences and observations that were getting to him he realised - being away from home.  Wherever that was, he thought sourly.

He looked back to Vaidan, who was obviously fighting a flush of frustration.  He could well imagine the words going unsaid in his mind.  He would have to learn to let things like Varvost shrug off him like rainfall, careening from his war-plate.  Akkad could help with that, if of course, Vaidan wanted to listen. The Novamarine came back from whatever reverie he had endured and his eyes snapped up to Akkad.

"Come, brother. I suggest we retrieve our requisitioned equipment and explore this vessel. I have never been aboard a ship like this one so I am curious to see what she has in her. I prefer knowing the layout of this ship before we get boarded."

Khyber could have said nothing more resonating.  Suddenly, even as a surprise to himself, Akkad liked him.  He resolved then and there that if Vaidan did stand for Leadership of the Kill Team then Akkad would back him - or at least not oppose him.  He would need a strong right arm though - not Daon himself, but another.  Akkad reminded himself he had time and reason to see the others.  When he had appraised them, the way he would continue to do so with Vaidan, he would know better which man was right for which job.

He hesitated but a moment, turning to catch the words of Solastion and Sabaan to the Interrogator.  Akkad felt no pity for the human, but at least he understood that a weak frame was given to weak failings.  Smiling ruefully, he caught himself.  If Ryken had been Tyrant's Legion, Akkad may well have slapped the man to reckoning with his frailty, but he was not Legion and this was not Badab or any other of a dozen worlds the Astral Claws stood upon.  He was changing, slowly, but he recognised it.

Daon grunted an affirmation and nodded to Khyber, assenting to his direction.  Varvost, for all his bluntness and cruelty was right again - if anything did happen to this crate, they would all be very swiftly finished or captured.  His armour growled in defiance as he moved, his tread becoming panther-like in response. He tapped the top of his helm to soothe it and followed the Novamarine to the equipment store.

MR.

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Closing the reports on his heads up display, Tyber went to stand , stopping just short of hitting his head against the ribs of the hall he was in. Looking around he brought up his squad display in his helm, overlaying the data of their locations he went off to find Solastion, for he had questions about any plans to test the population discretely as a means to track the infestation.

Making his way through the ship, Tyber began to hatch an idea, unsure of how feasible it would be, but he would need to run it passed both the Apothecary and the Tech Marine, not to mention the Raptor. For if this was possible it might give them a shot at locating the source of the infestation quickly.

From the Apothercary he would need to know if it would be possible to search for a pheromone omitted by one of the hybrids, from his understanding of the data he had been given all of the hybrids at some point go to the nest to aid in creating the next generation. If it were possible, it would then begin the next quest and questions, this one ideal for the Tech Marine. Tyber would need to know if it would be possible to alter a few of the rounds in the sniper rifle that the Raptor has brought with them to work as a subdermal transponder that they could track via their vox network. If that would work, then he would need to approach the Raptor to gain his consent at modifying some of his ammunition. Perhaps this quickly hatching idea would bear fruit, perhaps his new brothers would think it foolish and naive, still it is worth a running past the first of the required brothers before bringing this to the attention of Akkad or Vaidan.

He gave a smirk of amusement under his helm, this idea would likely not be Codex Astartes approved, so perhaps the Vaidan might not be the right one to bring this too as the last step, still first things first, he needed to talk to Solastion first.

Edited by Steel Company

Sabaan walked up to the Apothecary and fell in next to Solastion. If the Iron Hand noticed his brother-by-circumstance's surprise at his approach, it didn't show.

+Considering we will be responsible of the state and wellbeing of this clave's organics and Iron, respectively, I thought it practical to establish and begin meshing the necessary protocols. Since you stated your intention to inspect the physical condition of our brothers on our transfer vessel, I was considering combining this with an inspection of the warplate and armaments. There are too many unknowns in this already. I intend to balance the Calculus in our favor by examining some of the variables.+

There was a short delay. The vox clicked. Once.Twice. The Iron Hand's respirator continued throughout, like some ancient clockwork timepiece. Then he continued.

+My knowledge considering the diagnostics of organic processes is rather limited...+

Though his voice was calm, deep and carried the metallic aftertaste of the implant vocalizer as well as a slight vox distortion, Sabaan somehow found a way to make his disdain show for such "organic processes". It conjured up the image of palllid, eyeless things squirming in subterranean retreats where the only illumination they should ever be exposed to was initiated by a pilot light and fueled by blessed promethium.

+Is there an established Procedere you are aware of that would allow us to screen a mortal for signs of an infection by Genestealer genotype?+

+You raise a fair point and I have no objections to what you’re suggesting as it would certainly speed up the process of determining where our kill-teams strengths and weaknesses - should there be any - lay.+ he responds.

As he continues walking with the Techmarine, his pause lasted just long enough for Solastion to turn his head to see if the techmarine was going to continue.

+Ah, yes, detecting Genestealer cults...not the easiest task due to how they operate but, if we should personally intervene and utilize equipment we have verified for signs of tampering, then the task should be relatively straight forward if long. Otherwise, it should be noted that, as the generations progress the physical signs of being an infectee become all the more pronounced. Therefore obtaining visual confirmation for these will be rather easy. However, these are usually the ones that face the general populatikn the least due to these...deformities. Rooting them out will be the more challenging of these endeavors. For those that show no physical signs, a genetic screening should be sufficient due to the aberrant xenos DNA present.+ he informs the techmarine and waits a beat before continuing.

+That said, should we engage with these cultists in open warfare - and we most likely will - then you should be made aware, if you aren’t already, that they will weaponsize and make extensive use out of civilian equipment when and where possible such as mining equipment. Having an understanding of their materiel and how best to neutralize it would be prudent.+ he states knowing full well that he was talking of technological matters with a Techmarine of the Iron Hands who probably had access to any and all pertinent technical information for items of interest as it pertained to the mission. Still, he thought, it didn’t hurt to double check...

+Given our destination is designated as an agriworld, I rate the probability of desecrated mining equipment among our enemies as in the single digit range. You are correct in the high probability of unsanctioned modification of civilian templates. Currently, I would expect a high number of harvesting and processing tools p to have been so debased and project a high likelihood of close combat adaptions which I assume will please Brother Varvost.+

A vent of vapor escaped from the respirator. One could almost mistake it for a derisive snort.

+Such violation of the blessed form is a widespread blasphemy among insurrection cells of nearly any origin. Our foes are thus to be punished for heresy against the purity of the flesh as well as the machine+ Again, Sabaan left few doubts about which of these he considered the greater transgression.

+Speaking of purity, I worry less about those among the locals already deformed by their xenogen deviation. Given our limited numbers, we will have to establish local elements as a force multiplier. Being able to ascertain and reassess that those elements are free of the xenos taint will positively affect our mission outcome in a significant way. I suggest we will prioritize the elements of the Inquistion in this?+

+Indeed, the general populace, until this threat has been suitably neutralized, will not be our primary concern. In order of importance - at least mine own - would be: Us, Inquisitorial elements present on-world that have been thoroughly vetted as being worthwhile to our endeavors, PDF Command, Veteran elements of the PDF and the rest. This would be a flexible priority list, however, since there might be some institutions on-world that might we might not be aware of that can be invaluable. For example, though unlikely to be tainted, the Planetary branch of the Adeptus Mechanicus would be a good ally to have for, despite being relegated to dealing with the woes of the locals, they would still likely be able to produce materiel for us given sufficient time or provide repairs for our own wargear.+ Solastion extrapolates, he ignored the Iron Hands views on the Flesh and the Machine for his chapter was known to propagate the idea that all flesh was inferior to the machine. Oh well, so long as he doesn't try to turn us into half-machine monstrosities such as himself... 

+However, Brother Sabaan, my current concern is once we arrive on the planet or any area where the cult is likely to have members on the lookout, we will stick out, as the terrans of old used to say, like swollen phalanges. Thus the enemy will be immediately aware of our presence unless we take precautionary measures beforehand. Next would be recovering the Inquisitrix as soon as possible. The Interrogator has proven...disappointing...so she is currently our only known source of reliable information with regards to the Cult and its operations.+ He continued as the kept on walking.

It does not take long before the conveyor-shuttle you are aboard sights the Voice of Thunder. The ubiquity of the venerated Standard Template Construct allows you to recognise it easily, and to pick out important features. A Dauntless-class Light Cruiser, it adopts the typical cruciform shape of an Imperial Navy vessel. The bridge and other control centres rise toward the rear, near the clustered engines. Arched gun-ports and ventral turret systems lead towards the typical sloped prow, giving th eship a profile like a stiletto dagger. It looks every inch a restless vessel, eager to depart and ferry you to your destination. 

2UYg6ch.jpg

You are soon brought aboard and given the opportunity to disembark. As you descend the Conveyor's ramp you are greeted by an individual in the uniform of the Imperial Navy. He seems old, ancient even, though you gain the impression of a bright soul in an old body. This, then, is Captain Dimitar. He gives a crisp salute to you all. There is a moment's hesitation when none of you step forward obviously in command - so he addresses you as a group. 

"My lords. It is an honour to have you aboard the Voice of Thunder. The Watch-Captain has briefed me on your mission and we are ready to make way for Syndalla. You shall have free reign aboard during your transit, though I have set aside a mess hall for you to train and strategise in. If you should require anything else during our journey, please contact me and I shall ensure it is done."

NV9StVw.jpg

Clearly, Captain Dimitar is a man who is to the point and not prone to being overly verbose. 

Sensing an opportunity Vaidan stepped forward, removed his helm, and paused for a moment as if unsure of what to do next. He settled for a shallow bow.

"My brothers and I are honoured to be on board this venerable ship, Captain Dimitar, and thank you for your hospitality."

He flashed a brief smile before continuing.

"At present, we would appreciate being shown our designated space aboard the Voice of Thunder."

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka

"Your equipment will be unloaded and sent to you immediately." 

At a signal from the Captain, another officer steps forward and beckons for you to follow. The Interrogator stays behind as you are led down passageways and corridors that seem endlessly dizzying; the few crew you do so move immediately and deferently out of the way. 

You are eventually brought to a relatively large room. Captain Dimitar had identified it as a mess hall, and it does indeed look as though it could have contained a large number of crew members. Tables have been pushed to the side of the room, making makeshift benches and workspaces for your equipment.

This is to be your base of operations during the transit to Syndalla. 

GM: The next step of the Preparation phase is for the Kill-Team to select a leader. This is a key aspect in the RPG, and whilst newer background suggests that Kill-Teams have a designated Sergeant, we can easily work around this. The Deathwatch is a meritocracy, and whoever the Kill-Team chooses (by whatever means they choose) will temporarily be the Watch-Sergeant of the Kill-Team. This does not have to be a unanimous decision, but I will give you the time to work it out. 

So Vaidan had been first to step forward. Atratus sensed no immediate dissension and Vârvost remained uncharacteristically silent.

There seemed little point in delaying this matter further and so once arrived at the mess hall Atratus turns towards the Novamarine and states in simple terms, "Brother, by your actions do you stand for the position of watch-sergeant?" Eyes fixed on Vaidan only, the Novamarine had spoken for the group on arrival and so his ambition must be known.

As they filed from the Navy Lighter and were conducted to their barracks, he scoured every inch of the ship they were exposed to with his eyes.  Transoms were properly maintained, airflaps were clear of debris, deck was clean and free and rust.  The crew of the vessel were diligent and her master seemed to be efficient and effective.  He relaxed, the simple comfort of being on a warship as opposed to that Conveyor settled him. 

He was quietly pleased with Vaidan's initiative.  It was a good start, he had to want to be at the front.  Akkad laid his equipment down towards the back of the room, choosing a corner where he could see the door and had metal walls to his back and sides.  He placed his weapons on one of the tables, the Bolt pistol lay right side up for his favoured hand.  Atratus's voice carried over the space between them.  His eyes bored into Vaidan, like some augur seeking prey, flaws - something.  This time though, Daon guessed it was merely a keen answer to his keen question.

"Brother, by your actions do you stand for the position of watch-sergeant?"

About time, thought Akkad grimly.  Silence.  In order to give Vaidan time to think, Akkad turned his thoughts to other things, to fill up the awkwardness that had returned.  Remembrancers had been given over to discussing Oliphants, an ancient tusked mammal that was somehow never talked about, even though it was as obvious to the participants of the conversation as a headbutt to the face.

As a small effort to try and get some privacy and as an experiment, he thanked the Naval ratings for their efficient work and the care shown handling the Kill-Team's equipment.  He knew that would filter up the chain of command and it would not hurt to see if the officers listened to the men.  If so, around the humans on board, they would have to be careful, but by thanking them, a small grain of allegiance would be gained and that could then allow Akkad to make that a two-way street.  It also got them out of the room.

Akkad did not want a return to this tension.  He watched Varvost closely, but made his air of calm and forced himself and his armour to relax.

"Forgive my intrusion, but Brother Sabaan, I sense that we are not attached to a squad vox channel yet. I would have some measure of privacy from those not of our brotherhood, especially now."

He made the Astartes Battle Sign for Epsilon/Lambda/4/1/9/Rho/3/7.  He stepped across the room towards the Iron Hand and respectfully handed over the Data Slate Ryken had given him earlier.  He had already inloaded the information into the data vault in his armour, but it would require a channel everyone could use to disperse it through the team.  Akkad looked up at the crimson lenses set into a mammoth of Astartes plate and adopted a respectful tone, when talking of machine spirits, one did not antagonise a student of Mars.

"I would be most obliged if you could upload this to the team and see if I have missed anything?"  He made the last few words a loaded question, hoping the Techmarine would catch his meaning.  Finally he turned back to the assembled warriors and his eyes and face warmed a little.  When he spoke his tone was gentle, soft with a trace of amusement.  His body posture was neutral.

"A good question and I agree with it Atratus.  Let's hear you brother - do you stand to lead?"

MR

Edited by Mazer Rackham

Tyber stood back, watching what was going on with his brothers; command assigned by consensus was not how things are done in his home chapter. This concept felt alien to him, perhaps even closer to the how the traitor legions do things… No he reminded himself, they are often more akin to Vârvost likely to favour the process of might makes right. He knew the Wolves were of a mind that let meritocracy determine their leaders. Within the Dragons however merit could only take you so far, you needed seniority and or the trust of those you would lead. Perhaps this method of selection was more in line with how children of the Angel or perhaps the Avenging Son worked out whom was in command he wondered.

Removing his helm to place it on a work bench, he closed his eyes and ran his left hand through his closely cropped blond hair, making a slight fist in his hair. If it were up to him, if he had a vote to cast he’d nominate… Tyber  opened his eyes remembering that this is something done by consensus this time, “I second the nomination of  Brother Vaidan, on the grounds that he were the first to try and forge a bond between all of us.”

Tyber let his assertion hang in the air looking at his brothers trying to gain a sense of their reactions to his statement.

Introductions after their arrival onboard the Voice of Thunder had been mercifully short. As far as first impressions went, the ship and it's mortal crew seemed sufficiently efficient. On several occasions, Sabaan had witnessed the arrival of an Astartes force, a single Astartes even, to be surrounded by an unnecessary amount of decorum, flag waving and parade ground posturing. That the vessel's captain had chosen to eschew such wasteful posturing could be taken as a positive prognosticator concerning future interactions with their naval host. For a moment, a memory rose to the surface of mind. A parade of Imperial Guardsmen at attention in full dress. A small army of local dignitaries, bedecked in gold. A world at war. Curiously, he could not immediately recall the name of the deployment. But he clearly recalled how the Clan Company had punished them for wasting such an amount of resources on a welcoming committee when those were direly needed in fighting the enemy. The memory passed.

The one labeled Vaidan had reacted quickly and prevented the boarding turning into another distracting, irritating exchange of words.

Sabaan took the opportunity to calm his mind by silently overseeing the unloading of the Kill-Team's equipment. The crew were making good time and operated within tolerable limits. The use of mortal crew over dedicated servers seemed extravagant. Sabaan suspected, that their use was supposed as a show of honour towards the Astartes. With the ship out of direct combat and the swift resulotion of their arrival, the Techmarine decided to let it pass. He turned and followed the Killteam into the ship.

Vârvost turns at Tyber's comment.

"It certainly is gratifying to know that when we face the Genestealer, Brother Vaidan will forge a bond with them. Though if anyone could talk a xenos to death it would likely be a son of Guilliman."

He places his chain-axe and pistol on one of the tables and returns to the conversation.

"I would not meekly acquiesce to others simply to avoid discomfort. If any of you wish to lead, then let us hear more from the men who would be king - to know more than simply your skills as conversationalists. Who are you to lead us?"

Edited by Commissar Molotov

The Astral Claw approached him as they settled in the designated area. Sabaan turned towards the approaching Marine, alerted to his approach by his Augur implants. Recognizing the Codex pattern battle sign, he set up a dedicated vox channel on the indicated frequency, then took the took the offered dataslate. The electro grafts integrated into his cybernetic right ran sanitizing protocols by default. He skimmed the data as it was downloaded to it's armour memory storage. Returning the dataslate, Sabaan nodded.

" A sound suggestion, Brother. We should proved as indicated" The silver digits of his left hand repeated the battle sign. "The Brother Apothecary and I will be coordinating our efforts and establish an examination pattern to ascertain our clave...correction, this killteam' operational status. I will use this opportunity to familiarize myself with your individual armor pattern and begin the iniation of interlink communion." He looked at each Asatartes slowly and watched as his Autosenses still marked by the default rune reserved for Imperial allies. Potential Hostile, It read in deep, cool green.

"Further synergy of this unit requires designating a lead element. A choice by common vote lacing sufficient information is not advisable. I suggest that we interchange prior mission data regarding experience in leading similar ooeration as a denomination. Failing that or to further our decision making, we should establish simulation pattern exercises in various possible squad compositions to establish the one most likely to produce optimal mission success."

Whilst his specific training with the Crimson Knights meant that Solastion knew all the proper rituals and observances to be made during formal introductions, he would be lying if he didn't find them tedious to perform at points especially during time-sensitive missions. So, it was much to his delight and surprise that the Ship's Captain quickly and curtly presented himself and what they would have access to whilst aboard his ship.

As they were shown to their...meeting room...Solastion didn't even bother placing down any of his gear - warp voyages were fraught with peril despite the relative safety afforded by Gellar Fields - and stood off to the side as the rest of the marines started mingling. He wanted to wait and see if anything were to transpire before he left their company in search of the Medicae facilities aboard the Voice and his brothers did not disappoint wasting no time going about deciding who their 'Leader' would be for the mission.

Solastion wasn't all too surprised when Vaidan stepped forward to present himself as a possible candidate but he hadn't interacted much -  or at all for that matter - with the marine so he agreed, to an extent, with his gene-brother and spoke up.

"Indeed, Brothers, each of us is an Astartes in service to the Imperium and the Emperor. All of us gathered here are proficient in the arts of killing the enemies of Man but, not all of us are fit to lead. Proving that one is fit to lead is a nebulous thing to determine since we have no real metric upon which we can judge the candidates but convincing us that they are capable should be sufficient for our current needs." he states to all those assembled.

He calmly rested his hand on the pommel of his chainsword, however, ready to spring into action should the selection process come to unforeseen blows...

Brother Thorvald, who up until now has said very little, begins to speak. 

"To be here undertaking this vigil, each of us will have accomplished great deeds in service to the All-Father. We all stand here on the corpses of those we have faced, and held aloft by the brothers that died so that we might live. We all have tales to tell." He looks wistful. "But it is said that the bold are those favoured by fortune."

He fixes on Vaidan. 

"We face an alien menace that thrives on subversion and infiltration. We cannot prevail if we are divided. If you believe you are strong enough to lead, I will support you." 

GREYSIGHT IX

Quorum

CLEARLY, THE ORDOS was stretched for resources out in the Taurelian reaches. The Voice of Thunder was not an astartes vessel, nor was the troop conveyor that slowly transported the kill team toward it. The seating, such as it was, was built for human, rather than transhuman stature, so they stood. Upon embarkation, Greysight watched in silence as Vârvost goaded the interrogator, Ryken, who ejected the contents of his stomach onto the steel decking, and noted the look of disapproval from the Giant.  

Presently, the others exited the central area and went about their business, oblivious to the troopship’s erratic gravimetric thrust, leaving the Storm Son alone with the Hawk and the interrogator, who had finally regained his composure and began to elucidate on mission parameters not pertinent to the earlier briefing. 

Greysight left them to their conversation and instead looked out into the void beyond. Slowly, the Voice of Thunder began to resolve through the armourflex viewport. The ship was an Imperial Navy escort vessel, twenty-two megatonnes of crenellated steel and gigantic scorched engine cones, running four and a half kilometres from prow to stern. It was as if an ecclesiarchy basilica had been transplanted onto an ancient iron boat to sail the stars. Running lights blinked, guiding the troop conveyor into an embarkation bay amidship, and it slowly slid its bulk through an open hatchway. A series of shudders followed as atmospheric pressure re-asserted itself, and with an unceremonious thud, kill team Blackthorn had arrived on the Voice of Thunder

The astartes had re-assembled by the troop carrier’s primary hatch, which painfully ground open with a tortured squeal and steam that spoke of neglect. Stalking out as a loose group with Ryken in tow, the kill team were greeted by the Voice of Thunder’s captain, flanked by a group of officers dressed in the uniform of the Taurelian navy. Vaidan handled the pleasantries and the kill team were escorted to what appeared to be a mess hall, evidenced by the number of tables pressed together to form makeshift workbenches, or hastily moved into the hall’s shadowy recesses. A pregnant pause followed the navy officers' exit, and Ryken, conveniently, was nowhere to be found. 

The natural order of dominance was yet to be determined and the moment was upon them. Without preamble, the Hawk turned to the Novamarine and broke the silence. 

‘Brother, by your actions do you stand for the position of watch-sergeant?’ he asked. 

‘A good question and I agree with it Atratus. Let's hear you brother. Do you stand to lead?’ interjected the Lion, before Vaidan could form a reply. 

The Giant spoke next, seconding Vaidan’s implicit nomination. Greysight cast his eyes across the room and found himself looking at the Iron Hand. Though Sabaan had said nothing, the Iron Hand had slightly inclined his head, indicating a discreet conversation - or conversations - over a private vox channel. 

Leadership was a simple affair to the Storm Sons, as befitting their pragmatic nature. When any leadership position became available, one would call a khuriltai, and brothers voted by merely showing up. Their presence served as an endorsement, and once quorum was reached, the position was legitimised. No pointless posturing, or worse, a brawl where battle brothers would be killed to satisfy a warped sense of honour. The Khuu Arga did not need to say anything, for their endorsement was implicit, and was judged on one’s competency, disposition and reputation. There was no such luxury here though, as Vârvost began baiting the Giant, evidently disinterested in the leadership contest, and making it clear that he did not support Vaidan, as Greysight suspected. 

Greysight looked to the Angel, who was slowly moving his hand onto the pommel his chainswordHe sighed. 

Sensing a stalemate, the Wolf spoke next.

‘We face an alien menace that thrives on subversion and infiltration. We cannot prevail if we are divided. If you believe you are strong enough to lead, I will support you.’

All eyes turned to the Storm Son. Three for. One against. Three undecided. The Novamarine was as good as any, and Greysight had no wish to lead himself. He nodded softly. 

Four for, then. Quorum reached. 

Edited by Nineswords

As the Kill-team was lead into their new quarters the Raptor barely waited for the door to close behind them before asking the inevitable question.

"Brother, by your actions do you stand for the position of Watch-Sergeant?"

While the answer was clear, Khyber Vaidan waited. Surely others would take this opportunity to speak up, either to stand in support of his claim to this Kill-team's leadership, or to oppose it.

"A good question and I agree with it Atratus.  Let's hear you brother - do you stand to lead?"

Akkad had spoken in such a way that the Novamarine had little doubt the Astral Claw would support his claim.

Next, Tyber spoke and openly offered his support to Vaidan, as if certain that the Novamarine would become Watch-Sergeant, potentially uncaring or ignorant of the consequences of his words. He wondered what the consequences might be if a rival took command instead. Would Tyber's open support for the Novamarine breed distrust between the youngling and their leader?

Vârvost's gravelly voice cut through Vaidan's thoughts.

"It certainly is gratifying to know that when we face the Genestealer, Brother Vaidan will forge a bond with them. Though if anyone could talk a xenos to death it would likely be a son of Guilliman."

The Novamarine could not suppress a bark of laughter. Humour, even if it was a sarcastic jab at Vaidan, was not something he had expected to come from the Eradicator.

Khyber watched as the Vârvost put down his weapons on a table before turning back to direct his next words at the assembled Astartes. Vaidan was uncertain what to make of the gesture but did not have time to dwell further upon the matter as the Eradicator spoke again.

"I would not meekly acquiesce to others simply to avoid discomfort. If any of you wish to lead, then let us hear more from the men who would be king - to know more than simply your skills as conversationalists. Who are you to lead us?"

The other son of Sanguinius decided to step forward to echo Vârvost's request for any would-be Watch-Sergeant to convince them all of their capabilities as commander. Vaidan noticed the Apothecary rest his hand on the pommel of his chainsword. Was he eager for blood to be spilled or merely anticipating conflict?

On the other side of the Astartes circle the Space Wolf cleared his throat and stroked his fire-red beard.

"To be here undertaking this vigil, each of us will have accomplished great deeds in service to the All-Father. We all stand here on the corpses of those we have faced, and held aloft by the brothers that died so that we might live. We all have tales to tell. But it is said that the bold are those favoured by fortune."

It took a moment for Vaidan to remember what All-Father meant. It had been long since his last encounter with a son of Russ and they weren't the only Chapter or culture to use a different name for the Emperor of Mankind.

Thorvald turned and met the Novamarine's gaze.

"We face an alien menace that thrives on subversion and infiltration. We cannot prevail if we are divided. If you believe you are strong enough to lead, I will support you."

Vaidan waited a few moments more to ensure no other wished to speak. He was somewhat suprised that no one had properly challenged his claim to leadership. The closest to that was Vârvost's request but it was unexpectedly... weak. Perhaps he has misjudged the Eradicator and had assumed, based on the Astartes' appearence and attitude, there would be an outbreak of violence to determine who would lead the squad.

A nod from the Storm Son, Greysight, caught Vaidan's attention and seemed to indicate another endorsement for his claim.

The Novamarine cleared his throat, stepped forward, and turned to look at the Raptor, Atratus.

"Indeed, brother. I wish to stake my claim to this Kill-team's leadership."

Turning to look at each of the other Astartes in turn, Vaidan made sure his tone was sufficiently loud and steady. He was confident in his own ability to lead the Kill-team and sought to express and transmit that confidence to each Space Marine.

"When I left my Chapter to join the Deathwatch, I left behind command over four of my brothers with the ambition to return to command nine of them. At the behest of Veteran Sergeant Erfar Waenor, I have led my brethren against the warp-spawned denizens of the Embrian Forge and the greenskin horde that saw fit to defile the sacred wind-swept plains of Galaheim. We have been victorious in the unfogiving void against merciless bands of reavers plundering Imperial trade routes and in the depths of Hive Septimus against the insidious Tyranid bioforms known to us as genestealers and their enslaved minions."

As he said his next words, the Novamarine looked straight the the Eradicator.

"I do not have the martial skill of one of Sanguinius' sons or the technological expertise of Medusa's scions. There is no doubt in any of our minds about that."

He broke eye contact with Vârvost and turned to the others.

"I do however possess an ironclad determination to lay waste to each and every xenoform we come across and the knowledge to facilitate their destruction, gathered over the millennia by my Chapter and passed down from brother to brother. I also am ready to trust each of you and seek you out should I require extra council or skills. I might become primus inter pares and have the benefit of vast amounts of inherited knowledge but I do not for one moment dare assume that it makes a master in all things.

A number of you have already spoken in my favour and I am honoured by your trust. I am certain that the rest of you will realise that I am the right choice for this role and learn to place your trust in my abilities and experience."

He paused and let his words sink in.

"If the Astartes assembled here see fit to bestow upon me the responsibility and honour of leadership, I do swear on my honour and in the name of the Emperor of Mankind to lead us to success and victory in the mission given to us by Watch-Captain Diocles."

Edited by Chaplain Dosjetka

There is a second before Vârvost shrugs. "You speak well enough, I suppose." He turns back and picks up his chain-axe. "Give me an enemy to kill, and we shall get along well enough." 

Thorvald chuckles wryly, darkly, at that. "There will be more than enough to go around, Brother." 

There is the smallest of moments as the Space Wolf catches Vaidan's eye and he nods, approvingly. 

Edited by Commissar Molotov

Tyber gave an inwardly sigh of relief that it seems that leadership has been assigned without any issues from Vârvost … Speaking of Vârvost, he seems to be an even simpler minded tool than Tyber had first thought, perhaps he had less the son of the Angel and more the son of the Red Angel, before the Red Angel took command of his sons.

I’ll need to watch him closely… Tyber thought to himself, for in their long history the Dragons of Caliban had fought both with and against the 12th legion, with the latter being more common than the former sadly. He had heard stories passed down of the 12th in their white and blue plate, storming into the breaches that the mighty First Legion’s 9th Armoured Assault Chapter, his chapter as it would later be, would make in walls. Here too Vârvost favored the chain ax much like the 12th… Tyber shook his head from side to side quickly and subtly while reminding himself; No, now is not the time for such thoughts. I have to work beside him, I have to trust him not to plant that ax in my back.

Everything Tyber had learned about the foe that the face left him wishing for the Necrons that he had faced on HSC-296, at least they were direct. Though it left him wondering how Brother Sabaan would react to them, would they not be the very embodiment of the very core of the machine cult’s faith?

Again his thoughts wandered to other maters than the task at hand, he needed to stay focused, this foe even if half as dangerous as Vârvost had boasted would still take much skill and cunning to best, doubly so with an Inquisitor around. Speaking of the ‘Holy Inquisitor’, Tyber gave an involuntary  silent snarl at the thought, what was that Interrogator up to…