The more Titus heard, the more this assignment sounded… intriguing. A search for this long-lost vessel, like some ancient, monsterous creature from the depths of Tuphon's dark seas, appealed to his instincts as a Hunter. An opportunity for the brethren of the Deathwatch to stretch their powers of perception and intelligence as well as their muscles. He wondered how some of his new squadmates would handle such a challenge. For a certainty, the cunning Vorkys had been the right choice to take the lead.

Titus frowned suddenly. That was assuming the Kill-Team were to be given their own command. Inquisitor Grist was joining Blackthorn and travelling to Meggdon Prime, but what of Interrogator Haldane?

Still. The Baltarian Abyss. Titus had only heard fragments and rumours which suggested that the region, far from the civilised heart of Dalthus and difficult to navigate, was a haven for all manner of malcontents, both renegade and xenos. If so, he thought with cold satisfaction, perhaps there would be enough challenge to fill the needs of both mind and flesh?

At last. At last. Assignment. A mission. A purpose.

His grip loosened on the railing, he hadn't realised just how tight his fists had balled around the plasteel until he saw the flecks of black paint upon it. How embarrassing. Yet again his damnable memory proved to be nothing but a curse. What use was it that he could recall the exact angle, speed and trajectory of a bullet fired in anger nearly a century ago if he couldn't even control his own body while he did so? Pathetic. Useless. Wretched and... no. Focus. It is that woman. That shaven harlot. Something about her turned his mind down darker paths. He would not be lead astray.

+ Blackthorn, + the vox crackled to life with Tyber's voice and flushed the Consecrator's memories with it. + It looks like we get to go and exact a pound of flesh from this traitor to the throne. +

The Drakeling's voice was tense. Incariel had been so caught up in trying to dismiss the delusion of Vincindrael that he completely missed the reaction of his squad. No. He hadn't missed a single detail. It was all retained in the vaults of his mind. Nonetheless, dwelling on the past had perhaps cost him a greater sense of the present, and would no doubt impact his perception of the future. A poor display. He checked to his side to see if indeed the ghost of the Interrogator-Chaplain had vanished. A torrent of relief washed his senses clean of guilt. He was gone. Stay dead, you old bastard. Haunt me not.

+I had known something was off with him when I met him.+ Finished Tyber.

Incariel clicked his vox to respond but felt the better of it. Chiding Tyber on his ability to assess the characters of men despite him operating with a traitor during Syndalla would garner no good will. It would serve to undermine his authority. It would serve to further turn him against Incariel. It would serve only to placate the growing, bitter need to lash out at something, anything, because of that vile, disgusting, insufferable, revolting... he realised the vox channel was still open.

+ Prithee what is that foul woman in the Inquisitor's retinue? + he forced through gritted teeth. + Mine humours art in flux by the mere presence of her. +

He hoped the question, while genuine, would distract from the fact he had held the comms channel open a little too long and was visibly biting his tongue. Snide remarks do not forge bonds of brotherhood, and sniping at your new sergeant's ability to discern whether a man is made of gold or grist will serve little purpose beyond sating a sense of indignation. You are better than this, he told himself. You are a knight of a secret order. Act accordingly.

+ And what was it precisely, dear Sergeant, that thee found so distasteful of this Desiato wretch? What indeed doth we know of him at all? +

Edited by ashlander47

"Meggdon is one of the largest hive-worlds in the Dalthus Sector. It resides within the core sub, near to Dalthus Prime itself. Regarding the Desiato holdings themselves, tactical inloads and all of the information will have will be provided to you for the Kill-Team to study during transit," the Captain says. Edited by Commissar Molotov

The Baltarian Abyss. Ascertain the truth of what happened there. The situation is entirely unknown.

Unknown...

His first assignment since awakening, and the Inquisition was sending the Kill-Team on a scavenger hunt across what could only be a ship graveyard. Boros would chastise himself for it, but a small part of him thought that this mission reeked of futility.

He veered up from the stategium’s hololith, looking again at the figures of Captain Diocles and Inquisitor Grist. Four hundred years had passed since the Dark Lantern fought its pursuers. The Devastator did not believe they were deploying without at least a vague notion of what to look out for.

“My Lords”, he began slowly, cautious not to break protocol for a second time. “What is it we might find that has not already been ransacked by the Sunders’ foes, salvaged by the Mechanicus or destroyed by cosmic phenomena?”

Edited by AHorriblePerson

As the questions began to flow, Achillion made his way over to the back of the strategium, as far as he could get from the Untouchable whilst feigning interest in a map projection away from the gathering. As he looked down at the small hololith, he opened a private channel with Vorkys, the muffled click out of earshot of the Ordos retinue.

"What troubles you, brother?" Achillion had noticed the doubt in the body language of the new Watch-Sergeant when the new assignments had been given.

After a few seconds of silence, a reply came through. "This mission is rife with uncertainty. Every question answered has only raised more and what we do know for sure only makes the situation worse. I'm not an expert in void warfare but I'm not confident if our quarry decides to pull the same maneuver that was recorded at Syndalla." The Reviler's voice suggested to the Codicier that his concern was firmly set in risking the lives of his new team on this enigmatic mission. The Angel saw merit in such a sense of care for his comrades, but had been moulded to believe that Astartes were created to serve and die - and if that was to be their fate, then so be it.

Achillion grunted in acknowledgement through the vox bead before responding. "After this gathering, we should assemble Swordhand and discuss the mission. Chaka has a good eye for void warfare, he may be able to shed some light on our chances if the Dark Lantern does show up."

The Librarian chose his next words carefully, hesitating but a moment. "These doubts of yours, keep them close to your chest.Titus and Thire have your trust and loyalty, and through my own assessment I believe that Yeng has the wisdom and sense of preservation to agree. I have only conducted surface readings on the remaining members and whilst they appear steadfast, talk of questioning direct orders from an Inquisitor may tip them away from your leadership."

Achillion stopped himself from divulging too many of his own thoughts. Not only did his mouth ache from extended conversation, but he was aware that his advice may present as condescension towards the Watch-Sergeant, and didn't want to foster animosity between them.

Edited by Mojake

Tyber squares his shoulders as his lips compress for a moment before he says in a tone that seems devoid of anything, “By your will Captain.”

Inwardly he seethed at this assignment, both a chaplain and working with a cowardly sack of bones that hid behind a bastardized mark that belonged to one of a few mortals that held the respect of his chapter, Malcador. Slipping his helm back over his head he allowed himself a moment to express his feelings on his face once the seals locked in place. He added over open vox, +Blackthorn, it looks like we get to go and exact a pound of flesh from this traitor to the throne. I had known something was off with him when I met him.+

+++ Placeholder +++

Perception (Scrutiny +0): 50 + 10 (Heightened Senses) = 60

Roll: 57 (success, 0 DoS)

Helgrim silently observed Tyber's exchange with captain Diocles and the Inquisitor.

OOC: @CM I'll await your judgement on what Helgrim perceives from the scrutiny test, and whether he takes further action.

Edited by Necronaut

His mission was laid before him. In truth he was glad that his kill team had been chosen to assault the false Captain’s holdings. He preferred a straight fight to sneaking around looking for a ghost ship. However the presence of the Inquisitor on their journey was not a welcome one. Severix could not put his finger on it, but he did not trust the Inquisitor. Still their duty was to see the mission fulfilled as decreed. The only way through trouble was straight ahead.

Edited by Ancient_Sobek

"Very well, we'll discuss it after the briefing," and with that, Vorkys closed his private vox channel with Achillion and quickly opened a new one with Titus and Gideon. "Find myself and Achillion after the briefing, we'll be discussing the mission. Invite only so keep it quiet."

He was glad that the Codicier had been receptive to his concerns. Death in service to the Emperor was inevitable for the Astartes, but throwing away the lives and gifts given by the Emperor was wasteful. The Revilers knew both of these lessons well having been formed by survivors of the Drop Site Massacre. Getting yourself or others killed was only playing into the hands of the enemies of the Imperium. It was for this exact reason that the Revilers followed the Codex only so far as it improved the outcomes, and why Vorkys was dismissive of the more fanatical followers. 

Turning his attention back to the questions being asked of Inquisitor Grist, Vorkys began shifting his weight back and forth ever so slightly.

"A fair question," Grist nods. "The Abyss is a dangerous place, and few would be able - or willing - to traverse it. It is possible, therefore, that some of the Sunders' vessels have survived. You may be able to acquire auspex reports, or logs that detail the events of the battle. If the Dark Lantern was salvaged from the battleground, knowing who did so may enable us to track it down."

There is a pause.

"You may think this a fool's errand, or a task not worthy of the Astartes," the Inquisitor addresses all of you, not one of you in particular. "In the service of your Chapters you fought war-hosts and invasion forces. The Deathwatch are a scalpel, not a cudgel. We must guard against the subtle knives, for they can often do the greatest damage."

"If that is all," Diocles says, "return to your chambers and prepare for deployment within the next solar day."

+ + +

Both Kill-Teams have an opportunity now to mull over their assignments and prepare for requisition and departure - narratively, that is (don't advance into mechanics yet.)

Helgrim:

Scrutiny: PER50(+10 Heightened Senses) = 60: 57 (PASS)

You know that the Watch-Station's complement range from ardent followers of the Ecclesiarchal creed, all the way to those who venerate unorthodox Chapter creeds. Of Tyber, you know little. His Chapter are obscure and reclusive, over and above other Sons of the Lion such as the new warrior, Incariel. He has not entered Azurea's Chapel once in his time aboard the station, preferring to conduct his own rituals away from the bulk of his brethren. It seems to you, from your experience as a Chaplain of the Deathwatch, that he struggles being away from the familiar security of his own Chapter's rituals.

You understand from conversations with the Watch-Captain that Tyber has been identified as having potential as a leader - either in his Chapter or here, with the Deathwatch. If such potential can be nourished, he could become a truly great warrior.

Your time with Blackthorn in the training cages has enabled you to discern certain things about the new Watch-Sergeant. He is young, impulsive, headstrong, ambitious, proud, even. You sense a curiosity, a yearning for brotherhood that had begun to flourish on the Syndallan endeavour with Daon Akkad. A burning fury resides within him as a result of the unwelcome news regarding the Badabian War.

As Diocles presents Blackthorn with their assignment, it is clear to you that Tyber seems distempered from his stance; squared-off, as though preparing for a fight.

Boros: It does not escape your notice that the Librarian, Achillion, moved from near the centre of the room to its outskirts. The mind of the Astartes, ever on guard for potential threats, affords you the curiosity to wonder what motivates the Librarian. Is the strange woman next to Grist having such a deleterious effect upon him?

The clicks of intra-vox communication on private channels between Achillion and Kol, however, are another matter. Whilst Kol is the Watch-Sergeant, and matters of command might be necessary to discuss, once you notice Titus and Thire also participating you wonder what the former members of Gallowbane might be discussing.

Edited by Commissar Molotov

+Aye, Sergeant.+

Titus replied with just a hint of brotherly mockery. In all honesty, he questioned the wisdom of not discussing the mission with all of Swordhand. None of the squad would be offended by their Sergeant having doubts about the Inquisition's request, in fact they would be fools if they felt no concern. But they might be offended by being sidelined while Gallowbane's former members discussed the situation without them. It was not his place to disagree with the squad leader and his second, however. He voxed back to Vorkys, offering what encouragement he could.

+At least it seems we have been given free rein to conduct this investigation our way, brother. Blackthorn might have been given the more glorious task, but they will also have the… pleasure… of the company of the Inquisitor and his retinue.+

++I would rather be attacking something than sifting through wreckage of battles we have missed. This missing ship better have something useful on board. What say you Swordhand?++

Vorr considered taking something other than his missile launcher, a Krak missile causing a hull breach could be devastating in zone mortalis combat. Maybe a Frag Cannon would be useful in the tight confines he'd always wanted to have a go with that weapon or even an Infernus Bolter the one Akkad had modified had been very destructive.

"Swordhand, meet in the training area in thirty minutes. Now is the time to address any spiritual needs or see to your gear one last time before we leave. We will discuss the assignment then."

Vorkys made his way to the training area immediately to meet with the others that he and Achillion had chosen for the initial conversation. Every Astartes that he had met or worked with within the Deathwatch had been steadfast and loyal, but where the weight of those loyalties lay differed by individual and chapter. The Codicier had a made a valid point about keeping criticisms of the inquisitor quiet, at least temporarily. He addressed the marines present primarily looking at Embe and Apothecary Yeng

as he spoke.

"The Brother-Codicier and I have agreed that there are particular concerns about the nature of the mission at hand beyond those that are to be expected. We are speaking here privately not to leave the other brothers out of the loop, but to form a consensus before broaching these issues to the squad at large. Everything we discuss here will be discussed with the squad. Brother Embe, you have been asked here on account of your expertise in void combat. The fact that so much remains unknown means that we will be putting the squad and the Xenocide into great danger with no solid indicators of progress or success. If you have any specific concerns, now would be the time to speak up. If you believe we should not speak against inquisitor, let it be known."

Edited by Komrk

Atreus takes the events of the briefing in stride. he has no input as to the mission yet, as a techmarine he has his uses but strategic planning is not usually one of them. He waits until the time to assemble, perhaps taking a few moments to sanctify the machine spirits of any of his battle brothers equipment if they are willing.

After Captain Diocles brought the briefing to a close, Helgrim announced to those gathered that he would be in the Reclusiam seeing to his prayers for the next half hour, and that all were welcome to join him, whether from Blackthorn or Swordhand. He voxed his serfs to prepare fresh wax and parchments for purity seals. He would additionally conduct final rites for those interested, and further address their chapter-specific beliefs as best he could.

Tyber turns his attention to the Watch Captain, relaxing as he speaks over open vox, +By your will, Captain.+

His next motion has him addressing Blackthorn, +Brothers, we will meet in one hour to begin drills in close quarters. In that time, do see to any rituals you require before meeting me in the training area.+

++++

Tyber found himself in a little-used part of the station, dusty and dimly lit by a few candles; the singular feature that was still maintained was a statue of the Emperor of Man. As he approached the statue, Tyber removed his helm and placed it on the base of the statue before drawing out his black blade, kneeling before the statue with his blade pointed tip down, his hands resting on the crossguard. Taking a moment to close his eyes, he leaned forward, placing his forehead to the flat of the blade as he spoke, “I, Tyber of the Glass Bay, offer you, Grandfather, my oath of the moment. I swear to stand strong for my squad, to be their rock. I swear to be a reef for the tide to break against.”

He paused, taking a breath of the dusty air as his grip tightened on the hilt he added, “I swear to meet our foe with pride and uphold the honor of your first, the Uncrowned Princes.”

After a moment Tyber returned to his height, sheathing his blade and replacing his helm before heading to the training area and begun to contemplate the equipment he might need for this task.

Edited by Steel Company

++The Arming Phase++

As the Kill-Teams discuss their assignments, the conversation will naturally turn to wargear and equipment.

If you have access to the Deathwatch Core Rulebook, you will be able to see Requisition Costs. If not, the Deathwatch Errata will be able to provide you with some of the information you need (primarily around weapons, rather than other equipment. It is worth nothing that some of the Special Issue Ammunition changed Requisition values in the Errata.) Additionally, some of you may wish to explore the advanced Requisition in Rites of Battle (p.212 onward) although this must be agreed with me.

For this mission, I will set the Requisition at 45 per Marine, giving both Kill-Teams a total Requisition of 495. (Requisition cannot be shared between the two Kill-Teams)

The Standard Equipment you have is always available to you, along with anything you have purchased using Signature Wargear; everything else you take with you must be Requisitioned from the armouries of Azurea.

I will create a spreadsheet and send you all the editing link via email so that you can plot out what you'd like to take with you.

Narratively, it's not a case of picking what you want off the shelf - you will need to request any additional wargear from Fasumé, the Master of the Forge, who will choose whether to grant it to you, or under what conditions he does so.

As he left the chamber Atratus wondered as to the Inquisitors purpose here, a question left sorely unanswered at their last deployment. For all the threat the Dark Lantern might pose the Inquisition dealt in secrets first and foremost, was Grist here to learn the secrets of the ship or, more likely, to learn what plot Blackthorn had found itself entwined in as a result.

Two separate factions had seeminly decided that the survival of one or more of Blackthorn was desirable. The inquisitor was neither.

Chaka nods at Vorkys’ mention of his name.

"I am honoured that you value my input on this Brother-Sergeant. I am no expert in 

intrigue, and thus I’m not sure what to make of the Inquisitor. But when it comes to Void engagements I do indeed have some recommendations."

Taking a moment to ensure he has Swordhand’s attention, Chaka continues.

“For equipment, when you are performing or defending against a boarding action, there are few things deadlier than a Melta weapon. However, well-placed grenades and missiles are preferable if the enemy’s numbers outweigh their skill. And you should always be prepared for melee regardless of your role. If the enemy draws too close, drop your weapons and draw a combat knife, or simply cut them down with a bayonet and keep firing. Just remain ready for anything, fighting while starships clash around you makes battle anything but predictable. Although, there are ways to train your situational awareness of battles in the black.”

Chaka holds up an ornate case with an Imperial Navy Emperor-Class Battleship, firing it's weapon batteries while smaller attack craft dogfight over shipwrecks in the background, painted in high detail. Opening it, Chaka shows a small collection of miniatures of Space Marine, Navy, and even a few Mechanicus vessels.

“This naval simulation set is an excellent tool for visualizing void warfare. I must insist that you all play- apologies, train with me using this at least once, preferably more if you like.”

Edited by Petragor

As Embe spoke his guidance upon combat within a boarding action, Gideon noted down his recommendation of a Meltagun, and remembered seeing the deadly effect of one while as a Tactical Marine, its blast reducing a Chaos Marine's torso and head into a mushy liquid from the sheer heat and intensity of the blast. Gideon smiled a little to himself, before reminding himself to see if he could request one of the powerful weapons. As Embe then produced the case which held the battleship and offered to train the other members of Swordhand in the visualizing void warfare, he also made a mental note to take him up on his offer. 

Assault on a hive-world, even just a section of it, was no easy ask. A hive was a labyrinthine structure; a maze of rockcrete, plasteel and flesh. The burgeoning masses of the Emperor's people huddled in each nook and every cranny. From the dizzying spires of the upper levels to the darkest dungeons of the lower underhives, a planet like Meggdon would no doubt be a heaving mess to navigate. Blackthorn was to strike and assault the holdings of but one man, yet in a hive there is no such thing as just one man. It would be a swarming nest. A hive, indeed, not unlike the Hive-Ships that Azurea and its Kill-Teams had just defeated.

The teeming populace notwithstanding, the mission had a caveat that further complicated things. They were to apprehend this Chartist Captain or any of his Aeldari consorts for interrogation. Not just a seek-and-destroy, this required a certain amount of restraint and a mind to seize all evidence regardless if their capture could be facilitated. Though merely glorified merchants, this House Desiato clearly had means at their disposal that warranted acknowledgement. To gallivant around the sector claiming to be one of the Rogue Trader houses? To do so in the face of the Deathwatch? The sheer gall. Respectable, perhaps, for their efforts in the Syndallan Defence, but condemnably rotten and typical of mortal men in their true motives. Where they saw opportunity they seized it for themselves and scorned all others. Whatever ulterior reason this Desiato and his Aeldari whore had to visit Syndalla was likely to be wrapped up in this whole Dark Lantern business, and the embedding of Grist on this mission was stark, shining proof of that. 

The Inquisitor's presence was baleful, though in no small part due to his insistence on keeping that horrific thing with him. The Consecrator had to remind himself several times as he poured through the old mission records of Syndalla that he was, for better or ill, an agent of the Chamber Militant now and had best come to terms with it. He bore the seal on his pauldron. He served in the Slaying Shield. He was not going to allow the Ordos agents to walk into a crossfire, or conveniently exclude vital mission data that lead to their destruction, or personally oversee the damage report of an accidental section decompression to ensure that certain names are removed from ship manifests. He was going to serve and protect. It would be sickening but then when has service to the Lion and Emperor ever been a bed of roses?

As the command was issued to reconvene within the training chambers upon the hour, he kept the mission reports scrolling over one side of his helmet's visor. Memory was a fickle flame at the best of times, though for Incariel it flickered more like the pilot-flame at the mouth of a heavy flamer rather than that of a candle. At any time he could loose the promethium down this metaphorical sluice and cause that small torchlight to blossom into a supernova of light. He poured over the reports of Blackthorn and Swordhand, focusing specifically on their brief interactions with Desiato, his men, and his vessel the Glory Be. Anything glimpsed here may prove vital during the assault. The disposition of his officers? The favoured tactics of his militia? The re-arming times on his Void ship? Anything could glean possible advantage, and so everything was committed to memory. The vault door of his mind-fortress swung open like the jaws of a great beast and ate its fill.

While this happened he took the time to meander through the halls of Azurea and make his way to the Armorium. A Solar day was ample time for the forges of Azurea to be set in motion, but he wished to field his requisitions at the earliest possible moment, and in person. There was the matter of ingratiating himself with the master of the Watch-Station's forge, a Fasumé of the Lion's Regent. An unfamiliar face from an unfamiliar chapter -- par for the course here in the Deathwatch -- and he had been impolite in not truly introducing himself. What honours he had to ritually bestow and acknowledge the techmarine with were also saddled beside his own personal need to ensure that Iunioris Mortis would find comfort in its eventual home. A minor relic in his own chapter, the Younger Death was nonetheless a stunning example of craftmanship that deserved to be treated with respect. The Consecrators by dint of their guiding mission were very specific about their equipment and how it is kept, and there are horror stories told by the techmarines of poor maintenance and spurious treatment that is rife in the Imperium at large.

Also spoken of in stories were the exotic and arcane selections of wargear stocked in the arming spaces of the Deathwatch. Talk of strange, experimental weapons, perverse xenotech and eccentric machinery that would make a Fabricator-General blush -- or at least blurt the binary to indicate as such. Incariel was no techmarine, but as a Consecrator his was the stewardship of relics, and his mind would not dispossess itself of a sense of professional curiosity. Lurking like an Interrogator-Chaplain in the back of his mind was also the black notion of personal greed and indulgence. As the Unforgiven children of the Lion, the Consecrators like their kin are endowed with great swathes of the older, more esoteric tools of war gifted to them by the Emperor himself when they were the First Legion. What would be considered common place here upon Azurea, and how would it contrast with what he might eventually see within the Relusiam's relic displays? 

Tyber checked the chorno in his armor, he still had half an hour before the squad would reconvene and there was something he wanted to get done. Making his way to the forge, he scanned the facility, the rhythmic beating of the metals to shape were proving to be a soothing sound, a reminder of his home chapter and the care that was afforded to the armor used by the chapter. Looking around he spotted Forge Master Fasumé and approached, yet stopped a respectful distance and awaited acknowledgment.

The Forge Master noticed him, yet continued his working with the metal plate until it was starting to cool too much and placed it back under the forge before asking, “What is it that you need, Brother Tyber?”

Tyber removed his helm, placing it under his arm as he spoke, “Thank you for seeing me, Forge Master. I have two requests, one simple and personal; the other is for my upcoming deployment.”

The Forge Master tilted his head slightly before asking, “We will start with the upcoming deployment if you do not mind.”

Tyber nodded his head as he said, “I have noticed that some sergeants carry a plasma pistol, I have been voted to be the Watch Sargent of Blackthorn and I would like to request one to use on this deployment.”

The Forge Master nodded and asked, “The second request?”

Tyber fidgeted before saying, “Again, something I have noticed of some of the Sergeants here, they wear a crest on their armor with personal heraldry, I would like to request something similar.”

Fasumé paused, thinking over the requests before answering, “Perhaps see to Sabaan for that second request, while I located a plasma pistol for you.”

Tyber offered a slight bow as he said, “Thank you, Forge Master.”

With Fasumé moving to seek the requested weapon Tyber searched the forge for Sabaan, again waiting for the signal to approach, once he had been given it he waited for the hiss-click of Sabaan that would signal his full attention to him and he requested, “Brother Sabaan, I was wondering if I could ask for you to lend me your talents?”

The techmarine tilted his head slightly, followed by a hiss-click and +What is it that you seek?+

Tyber offered him a friendly smile as he said as he tapped his left pauldron close to his chest, “I have seen several Watch Sergeants with little crests, here.”

Tyber paused to make sure that Sabaan seemed to understand and he said, “I was hoping that I could convince you to craft one for me, with this.”

Moving forward to a space on Sabaan’s workstation, Tyber took hold of some chalk and begun to layout two concentric circles with the outer one having ten points with a crown in the middle as he spoke, “To me, this has great meaning. You have heard me speak of hosts as well as my master, Adavan. This is the symbol of my host and one that Adavan wore; I would like to wear it, as a symbol of office that I now hold within our squad.”

A hiss-clicking noise escaped the techmarine before he said, “That does not go against the codex, I will see what I can do.”

Tyber banged his left fist on the techmarine’s shoulder as he said, “That is all I can request of you, brother.”

++++

Tyber checked the chorno in his armor one last time, just moments before Blackthorn arrived for the next round of training and planning for their task of smashing into the holdings of this fake trader. Turning his attention to the chaplain he asked +Brother, any thoughts on our task?+

Edited by Steel Company

Vorkys was keeping an eye on the time as they discussed the mission when the rest of Swordhand began filtering into the training room. Their secret meeting had accomplished little but the lack of objections let him know what he needed to. When the entire squad was assembled he addressed them.

"Brothers, we have received our first mission to discover the truth behind the Dark Lantern and its masters. By the nature of the mission we are being sent into a dangerous situation through which we must trust the skilled hands of the captain and crew of the Xenocide. Due to the nature of the region we will be facing threats from both the environment and likely from pirates or even xenos who have taken refuge where the Imperium cannot afford to patrol. Brother Embe can explain more about the nature of void warfare, but I trust that each and every one of you is in some way familiar with it. As such, we should take the time to discuss what is necessary to make the mission a success."

He looked at the assembled Astartes noticing their body language and taking note in his mind.

"If you have questions or concerns, voice them now."

Titus had been thinking carefully from the moment the Kill-Team left the Strategium, thinking like a Hunter tracking his quarry. Vorkys asked for the unit's opinions. Removing his helm, the Stormbringer answered softly.

"The mission has merit. Properly understanding the events that led to the Dark Lantern's disappearance may help us to understand what happened to it afterwards... and where it is now."

He paused, lip curling in disgust as he voiced his next point.

"By all accounts, the Baltarian Abyss has become a nest of renegades, self-serving scum who have abandoned their duty to Mankind and built a home where they believe themselves beyond the Imperium's censure. Among these traitors will be those who remember the histories, the tales passed down of the final battle of the great House Sunder."

A further thought struck him.

"Hah! Four centuries? Given the vagaries of warp travel, not to mention the use of rejuvenat treatments by those renegades with resources enough to obtain them, there may even be some who saw that battle with their own eyes, fought in it! But they will not give up these truths willingly. We must uncover them by force and tear the information we need from the broken remnants of their bodies and minds."

Titus looked around his brethren, a vicious smile breaking momentarily across his pallid, gaunt features.

"I suspect we will find our first mission together to be far from bloodless."