I have a Captain in Terminator Armour who I've cut from the sprue and removed mold lines from. He's still in a pile of bits, but am I right in thinking this is too far gone for this event? All my other stuff I'm considering is on sprue still so no biggie if he's out.

HQ Stratagem will go live at 2359 UTC on the 19th February and close at 2359 UTC on the 26th February

This week is the calm before the storm. Use it for planning, cleaning up mould release agent, buying, unboxing, stripping, bits gathering, buying glue/magnets/undercoat, and basically anything that doesn't involve you commencing the build.

From the 19th February until the end of the event it's going to a fast pace so get everything ready now.

Just realized I'm going to be at a conference in Utah :sad.:

The HQs will not be done. :sad.::sad.::sad.:

I may be able to get one finished that day.

Take them with you ;) Anyway, there's always events later in the year. If you can't manage to do something this time around then there's always another time. Perhaps you have something for the other categories?

Hey Ekfud, what size magnets would you use toe space marine wrists and dreadnought heavy flamer/storm bolters, respectively? Cheers, Smash.

Hey - I actually just finished posting some pics/notes for a DC dreadnought build on my blog too (sig linky...). 

Some of the other guys can probably comment on what they use for wrists (I tend to do the shoulder/arms for weapon swaps), but generally use a couple of sizes...

3mm diameter, 1mm or 1.5mm thick discs

3mm diameter, 3.5mm tall cylinders

6mm diameter 1.5mm thick

6mm diameter 2.4mm thick

For arm-to-torso (swappable weapon arms), I'll use the small 3mm discs (one on each side of the join)

These are generally plenty for a pistol, combi etc but if you have a really heavy arm (eg, terminator or a large storm shield) you might want to go a bit bigger.

To be fair - even the heaviest arms still hold the torso... but they might droop from where you pose them if the extremity is hefty

For packs (mainly for JP vs regular), I use the small 3mm discs as well (one on pack one on torso) - although I put them above the nubbin

Some people remove the nubbin and stick the magnet where it was - in which case the pack is more likely to 'spin' if you nudge it. 

I think I have some recent pics on blog of how I did my DC jump pack magnets. 18 DC with 3x magnets each is where half my packet went... 

For bases, I stick a 3mm by 3.5mm cylinder under the base - which keeps them stuck to a tin sheet I have in my mini case

It's completely over the top, but I haven't had to use a single piece of packing foam for transport since going that way

For dreadnoughts (have only built the one so far) I have done arms-torso, claws-arms and then the under-arm weapons

The arm joint is a couple of the 3.5mm cylinders in the torso and a metal washer on the arm. These are really quite sturdy.

I also stuck a big 6mm magnet inside the end of the arms and a washer on the claws so I can swap them with blood talons. 

The under arm weapons only have a 3mm by 1.5mm disc (on the arm as well as the weapon) - as long as they make direct contact it seems to be plenty

Pics of the dreadnought build on blog... 

For tanks - I also added some anchor points during construction... 

Just behind the headlights on the top panel (each side of the driver roof) I superglue a 6mm on the *underside* before sealing the tank up.

The big magnet is completely hidden - a tiny 3mm on a smoke launcher, etc will get enough pull from the 6mm one through the plastic

I've done some swappable smoke launchers, search light, missile launcher, comms radar bits that can go on any of the tanks. 

So, ah - yeah I think I have a problem... 

I paint minis so slowly that I *always* want options I can swap rather than having to build full models :-)

Great info, thanks for posting :tu:

Dang!!

Wish I had seen this before I built this bad boy:

gallery_60109_5815_1078951.jpg

Break it up... :whistling::whistling:

Seriously though, perhaps there's something else you would like to knock together for another category? My backlog is such that I'm looking at entering every one bar the Flyer category :blush.:

Thinking of doing Astorath (NIB) and a proper Captain Blender kitbash. Do these count?

Not sure what NIB means? Astorath and a kitbash are fine, with the later netting you/us bonus points depending on the extent of the conversion.

I have a Captain in Terminator Armour who I've cut from the sprue and removed mold lines from. He's still in a pile of bits, but am I right in thinking this is too far gone for this event? All my other stuff I'm considering is on sprue still so no biggie if he's out.

It sounds like it will be fine. As always, a picture can be sent via PM (you'll need one to enter anyway so it's not big deal doing it now) to verify it but I imagine there will be a lot of bits entered all the same. Some folk have already cut their stuff up before the event was announced (be it the model or bits) and it would be unfair to deny them entry; I also doubt anyone is trying to game the system by pre-cutting stuff up post announcement either.

As for sprue stuff, feel free to enter those too provided you have time ;)

Keep the questions coming folks, that's what we're here for! HQ stratagem is going live in 25 and a half hours...

Definitely in for a captain, but thinking it might be time I put together a bunch of my command squad - would they be separate builds for:

- champion

- novitiate

- banner

- lieutenants (2) 

Still waiting on a new bag of magnets, so if they can be counted separately I'll commit the first couple then add the lieutenants/banner if I get bits in time. 

I have an opinion question, and I’m not sure this is the thread but here goes anyway! I’m going to build a jump sorcerer, but should I give him a force axe or sword?

Nothing wrong with asking for opinions! What looks cooler? Magnets?

Game-wise, I'm not convinced we need axes this edition due to our bonuses...

Keep the questions coming folks, that's what we're here for! HQ stratagem is going live in 25 and a half hours...

Definitely in for a captain, but thinking it might be time I put together a bunch of my command squad - would they be separate builds for:

- champion

- novitiate

- banner

- lieutenants (2)

Still waiting on a new bag of magnets, so if they can be counted separately I'll commit the first couple then add the lieutenants/banner if I get bits in time.

They are separate as the Datasheets are separate. So when the Elites round comes around, either make a giant vow or go piecemeal, or any mix of the two :)

Ah yep - I'm an idiot... need to stop thinking of the command squad as HQ. 

Cap + lieutenants at the top of the construction list for this week then.

That makes the use of my last couple of magnets a bit easier to pick :-)

Do we lose points if vows are failed?

No. However, you may get frowned upon!

Points for completed vows go towards the your Faction's total for that category, incomplete or partially complete vows do not score.

<p>

Open Stratagems link:

• There are currently no live stratagems for this event

As you'll see in just under seven hours, the first stratagem will open. A link will replace the above, appear in the OP and said link will be pinned in this very forum.

There is info in the OP on what you need to provide (i.e. a vow and starting picture as per the event rules), and this along with a vow template will appear in the stratagem threads.

The thread you are currently reading is the event thread. It ties everything together. Each category stratagem is for the specifics.

Can I vow Mk3 marines from BoP as DC? I most likely wouldn't be adding any special shoulder pads, but would paint a red X on each shoulder later...

Edit: it is something I plan on doing anyway, not specifically trying to game the system

Your models, your universe: perhaps DC appear different over there? Basically, provided they adhere to the relevant datasheet I'm fine with it. The same goes for models taken from other factions - for example, I have a Naaman to become a Scout Sergeant. I need to remove all DA emblems and give him a bolter in lieu of his auspex, but who's to say in the ten thousand years of Blood Angels there hasn't been a Scout Sergeant with a chainsword, bolter and itsy bitsy camo cloak?

<p>

Open Stratagems link:

• There are currently no live stratagems for this event
As you'll see in just under seven hours, the first stratagem will open. A link will replace the above, appear in the OP and said link will be pinned in this very forum.

There is info in the OP on what you need to provide (i.e. a vow and starting picture as per the event rules), and this along with a vow template will appear in the stratagem threads.

The thread you are currently reading is the event thread. It ties everything together. Each category stratagem is for the specifics.

I think it's because I'm a GMTer. For me the event starts on the 20th, and all the dates etc throw me as a result!

I think it's because I'm a GMTer. For me the event starts on the 20th, and all the dates etc throw me as a result!

Me too... it makes the wait feel long!

[whinge]I’d have liked to have got started on Sunday [/whinge] :p

Archived