gallery_62972_10568_56641.jpg

sml_gallery_62972_10568_933.jpg Overview

Across the B&C each year there are numerous events focused on painting and Each of these requires a start point. The most common example is the E Tenebrae Lux which dictates that models can be built and undercoated prior to the event begins.

This is where Blood & Zeal comes in. Blood & Zeal is primarily an event which focuses on getting models to the starting criteria for such events. However, it is not an event without motivation and towards this end, the Black Templars have challenged toe Blood Angels to a duel, to see which Faction can prepare the best for the onslaught to come.

The event itself is split into categories based on Battlefield Role. Each week, a category will go live and Frater will, from scratch, build and undercoat any relevant models. Completions will award points based on the PL for that model and the faction with the most points wins that category. The Faction which wins the most categories wins the event.

Who will succeed, the artistic and angelic Blood Angels or the devout and zealous Black Templars?

sml_gallery_62972_10568_933.jpg Spirit of the Competition

Just like the ETL, there is a set of unwritten rules for self-regulation amongst the Frater. Like any competition on the B&C, they exist to help you all to improve your technique and the standard of your painting and modelling, be it asking and giving advice, and generally improving your modelling regardless of your skill level. Bear in mind that one shouldn’t compromise their skill level during this competition - it’s better to do a smaller vow modelled to the best of your ability than a large sub-par job (according to your own personal standards of which you are the only judge).

A good example of that is basing. The fact that doing bases is not compulsory for a vow in Blood & Zeal is for the benefit of those who do not yet posses the skill of doing proper basing or have yet to decide on what scheme they wish to use. If, however, you do posses the skill and you will not consider the model complete unless you base it then it is expected that you do base it.

In short, this event aims to help you achieve something you can be proud of. Something you can say that Blood & Zeal helped you create and quality over quantity will always be preferred.

In addition to making a start on that infernal backlog, the purpose of Blood & Zeal is also give the opportunity to people to model their minis how they like them, not necessarily according to GW doctrine - it’s all about creativity and imagination. As such, it is possible to see some unorthodox modelling - such as WFB Vampires suitably converted to be Mephiston or Stormcast Eternals as TDA Captains. All these are totally welcome and well in the spirit of the event. However, if people are using the count-as to just paint totally unsuitable models (using an untouched Telion to represent aBlood Angels Scout Sergeant for example) then this works against the principle of Blood & Zeal. After all, Blood & Zeal is all about faction loyalty to that of the Blood Angels or Black Templars, depending on who's side you are.

Finally, Blood & Zeal is also an opportunity to kitbash for your army while having fun interacting and building stronger ties with other Frater within the BA and BT community. There is an element of friendly competition – which is intended and welcome; friendly banter is not only tolerated, but anticipated. That said, this is still intended as light-hearted fun. Please keep that in mind in your exchanges and also that there may be a language barrier or that people can be on a different wavelength. Make sure you use appropriate tone and don’t forget the smileys – they go a long way to give context and remember, B&C rules always take precedence so play nice.

sml_gallery_62972_10568_933.jpg Rules

Below are the rules which govern Blood & Zeal 2018:

Duration
Two months from February 12th to April 9th, 2018. Each week will have a different category (see below). Participants can join at any time during the lifetime of the event.

Categories
There are seven categories for the event. Only when they are live may you vow and work on the relevant unit(s). The categories and when they are live are shown below:

• 19th February - HQ units
  • 26th February - Troops units
  • 5th March - Elites units
  • 12th March - Fast Attack units
  • 19th March - Heavy Support units
  • 26th March - Dedicated Transports units
  • 2nd April - Flyers units

Entry requirements

• Participants must pledge anything relevant to their chosen Faction (Blood Angels or Black Templars) chosen from either; Codex Blood Angels (Blood Angels) or Codex Space Marines (Black Templars), Index: Imperium 1, Index: Forces of the Adeptus Astartes, Relic Sicaran Arcus Strike Tank, Relic Sicaran Omega Tank Destroyer
  • Each choice must be a legal unit as per the relevant Datasheet
  • You may pledge as many of these as you wish. However, each vow must be finished before another one is made and vows cannot be changed prior to completion
  • To enter a category you declare your vow and post an accompanying starting picture in the relevant category stratagem. It is declared complete when you post a completion picture
  • Starting vows require photographic evidence. This should be either a sprue , pile of bits, or a mix of both. There should be no paint/undercoat on any of the units pledged for the event

Re-vowing
If participants have achieved their target before the end of the week they can pledge again for the relevant category. There is no upper limit on vows.

Completions
Once built and primed/undercoated, state your vow is complete and post a completion picture in the relevant category strategem before it comes to a close. Completions will gain points at a 1:1 ratio to Power Levels unless it's deemed to be a conversion (which have their own rules).

Conversions
Conversions are an optional extra for Blood & Zeal. To acknowledge the increased difficult of a conversion/kitbash to a standard build, any conversion considered legal for the event will increase the PL by 25 %, with this increased to 50 % for extensive conversions.

Winning the Competition
Points will get tallied up on the category stratagems and the Faction with the most will win that category. The Faction that wins the most categories will win Blood & Zeal, earning not only bragging rights but a unique signature banner to be worn with pride.

sml_gallery_62972_10568_933.jpg FAQs

Q: Can I work on my model in advance?
A: Other than unboxing, removing mould release agent, gathering bits, etc, no. As this is a build event, we want the focus to be on the actual build and not the painting side of things. Should you wish to submit an entry that requires stripping, then they will need to be stripped and broken up into components (where possible) in advance. Should you have any queries, please send a PM to Jolemai or Acebaur

Q: Why aren't LoW choices included?
A: This is a design decision that takes into account the time required to build them (many take more than a week and many folk want to take their time here) but also because it would give us an even number of categories which would make finding a winner more difficult. This doesn't mean that LoW choices will be exempt from any subsequent painting events that may arise from Blood & Zeal

Q: Can I base my unit(s)?
A: if it's normal for you to add textures to your bases before you undercoat then go ahead. However, basing isn't mandatory for the competition

Q: Can I paint my tank internals prior to the event?
A: Vehicle (excluding Drop Pods) internals are a special case and are exempt from the rules regarding prior work. You may work on these prior to building but you will need to disclose this on your entry post. Please note that this is entirely optional...

Q: I work in sub-assemblies. Can I submit a model held together by blue-tac?
A: No because this is a build event and things are required to be "built". However, in a lot of cases, things will hold in place without glue (bolters, push-fits) whilst anything else can be held with the tiniest bit of super glue to keep it in place - then just snap it off afterwards (a bit like the WHTV video about spray coating Eldar Jetbikes)

Q: What constitutes a conversion?
A: Anything from a plastic kitbash to a headswap on a metal/resin miniature. Not only does it have to be an obvious change from the original miniature, it should also require some effort on your part; so (for example) adding a purity seal to a metal Scout would not count. On this, Acebaur and Jolemai have the final say

Q: Does it matter what colour I undercoat/prime my miniature?
A: You are to do this how you would normally. For example, I still undercoat my Sanguinary Guard black but many use Retributor Armour spray. Either way is fine as folk paint their stuff differently

Q: I play a Successor Chapter. Can I participate?
A: Successor & homebrew Chapters are more than welcome to join the event and pledge for their relevant Faction

Q: I collect both Blood Angels and Black Templars. Can I pledge to both Factions?

A: No. It's one Faction or the other, not both

sml_gallery_62972_10568_933.jpg Acknowledgments

Many thanks to Jolemai for his outstanding work on this joint venture, without him there would be no event..
Thanks to the Moderation Team for their blessing and for their assistance.
Thanks to Charlo for his work on the artwork
...and finally thanks to the B&C and the B&C Frater for being here and thereby having an interest in such things. Hope you all enjoy the event!

sml_gallery_62972_10568_933.jpg Event Tags

/equip modhat

The correct use of tags can be found here. Basically, this is a method of making things easier to search to people can gain fast, easy access to your work and that of others. The official RTS tags are:

• Blood & Zeal
  • Blood & Zeal 2018
  • Blood Angels modelling event
  • Black Templars modelling event

... in addition to all the usual things like Blood Angels WIP, Black Templars WIP, and so on. If we can remember to add these to our work then that would be great.

I have to wait even longer to start building all this grey on my desk? :facepalm:

How am I supposed to put off working on my commission now? :teehee:

On the bright side, there's a bit of incentive now to figure out how the hell to convert this Cataphractii Captain's arm into a relic blade...

I'd like to thank Acebaur & Jolemai (and any others responsible) for putting this event together.

This event has come at the best time for me. I will need this week to make plans and get a few supplies.

Thank you!   

Wait, what about magnets?

Magnets are fine, just no blue tac. 

Technical question:  Techmarines are HQ units.  Thunderfires require a Techmarine.  If I build my 2 Techmarines in the HQ week, can I skip them for 2 Thunderfires in the heavy Support week?

I'll discuss with Jolemai

A couple of questions regarding the dates: If Im reading it correctly this means I can only vow, for example, HQ units from the 19th to the 26th, right? Can I vow a unit type that has already passed?

No you'll only be able to vow for something that is in the current block and you have to complete it within that time frame. 

• starting vows require photographic evidence. This should be either a sprue , pile of bits, or a mix of both.  There should be no paint/undercoat on any of the units pledged for the event

Completions

Once built and primed/undercoated

I have a question, little confused on the above. As when a vow is completed you/we/I will have to or allowed to prime/undercoat it anyways. Thus having a blank canvas to paint up from there. So the end result of a primed model covers any past attempt at painting the model/s vowed. 

So what I'm trying to say is, wouldn't the completions guide make the entry requirements for no paint on anything a non issue? as we'll all end up with a newly built/rebuilt model that is primed/undercoated.  :unsure.: 

As if there really can't have any paint on it to start then I can't take part. As I was planning to recycle a load of models(mostly troops) which I have painted badly or part painted in the past and now lives in a drawer. I do have some models without any paint of them, but limits me to one or two categories. :sad.:    

From what I have gathered, reclaimed/recycled models are fine as long as there has been an obvious attempt to remove the old paint. I just finished cleaning and stripping a whole bunch of old BA troops to turn into BT elites that still have a bit of the red (now orange) that will just not come off. However, once the new coat of undercoat is on everything will be gravy. At least, I hope that is correct. :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

I intend to strip ten unworthy smurfs of their legs (and use those for several models) but merely paint over the blue instead of stripping and applying a new basecoat. I can of course paint on a solid black coat as basecoat. Rest of the models will be grey out of the box. Yay or nay?

Not sure i can afford to get my hands on material for stripping in time :/

I intend to strip ten unworthy smurfs of their legs (and use those for several models) but merely paint over the blue instead of stripping and applying a new basecoat. I can of course paint on a solid black coat as basecoat. Rest of the models will be grey out of the box. Yay or nay?

Not sure i can afford to get my hands on material for stripping in time :/

You have until next Monday. Unfortunately, I think you might have to strip the paint. Not sure what you have in Germany, but I use Simple Green and a soft wire brush. 

From what I have gathered, reclaimed/recycled models are fine as long as there has been an obvious attempt to remove the old paint. I just finished cleaning and stripping a whole bunch of old BA troops to turn into BT elites that still have a bit of the red (now orange) that will just not come off. However, once the new coat of undercoat is on everything will be gravy. At least, I hope that is correct. :whistling: :whistling: :whistling:

from what I understand you'll need to dismantle them completely too Brother.

It looks like models that require little or no assembly are out (metal/resin).  I suppose that is fair though.

where did you read that Brother? I didn't get this impression at all.

I would like to learn something more about the Challange's position on metal models. For instance, I have a metal Sicarius that I'm planning to strip of paint, convert a bit, remove the UM symbols and claim him as one of the Commander's of my Crusade. Would he therefore be an eligible entry? Or do we stick to multi-part plastic kits?

I would like to learn something more about the Challange's position on metal models. For instance, I have a metal Sicarius that I'm planning to strip of paint, convert a bit, remove the UM symbols and claim him as one of the Commander's of my Crusade. Would he therefore be an eligible entry? Or do we stick to multi-part plastic kits?

As long as the model is stripped of all paint and none of the bits that need glue are attached you will be good. Also, since you would be converting the model it would actually get you around a 20% boost to the points that it is worth to the BT team. I have a metal chaplain that only needs a backpack and left arm. From what I have read on this thread here and the one in the BA forum, I should be good to go; which stands to reason that you are in a better position for an awesome model than I am.

It looks like models that require little or no assembly are out (metal/resin).  I suppose that is fair though.

where did you read that Brother? I didn't get this impression at all.

That will be perfectly fine, you are converting the model and stripping it so there should be no issues there and depending on the level of conversion you can get a 25-50% bonus of PL for it too!

Jolemai and I are discussing the issue of the stripping and basecoating over existing paint and will get back to you guys on it. 

From what I have gathered, reclaimed/recycled models are fine as long as there has been an obvious attempt to remove the old paint. I just finished cleaning and stripping a whole bunch of old BA troops to turn into BT elites that still have a bit of the red (now orange) that will just not come off. 

Recruiting Blood Angels into the Chapter to beat them in a challenge?  Insult to injury, brother.

At least they're getting a promotion. ;)

Technical question: Techmarines are HQ units. Thunderfires require a Techmarine. If I build my 2 Techmarines in the HQ week, can I skip them for 2 Thunderfires in the heavy Support week?

The event requires legal units as per the relevant datasheet. The TFC entry is a unit of one TFC and one Techmarine, so it would be vowed together during the HS week.

If you did the Techmarine during the HQ week, then the TFC becomes an illegal choice.

Archived