Come on Brothers let us take this category! Elites is easy like HQ, ancients, champions, apothecaries! Plenty of easy things to make to boost our numbers and earn us Glory!

Well i guess we are really outnumbered by the red boys. But anyways, brothers, we should never surrender!

New(er) codex that still has a good amount of hype behind it. New players in, old players back. Us Templar have been crusading so long we don't have as much to do! I've got over 10k points of Templars assembled (probably closer to 15k but I haven't counted in a while) and there isn't much more stuff that I need.

But fear not, when those Red boys start to go back into hibernation, we will still be here Crusading, as our God Emperor told us to.

As this is a modelling contest, I'd like to add something along this line. I'm not sure if you have ever heard of this particular source of alternate bits which is Spellcrow? You might want to check some of their range of "Templar" and "Space Knights" products :smile.:
Just food for thought, Templar cousins :wink:
http://www.spellcrow.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=templars&x=0&y=0

As this is a modelling contest, I'd like to add something along this line. I'm not sure if you have ever heard of this particular source of alternate bits which is Spellcrow? You might want to check some of their range of "Templar" and "Space Knights" products :smile.:

Just food for thought, Templar cousins :wink:

http://www.spellcrow.com/advanced_search_result.php?search_in_description=1&keywords=templars&x=0&y=0

Yes, all of those bitz are detailed in the Alternative Bitz thread that you can find a link to in the BT Resource pinned at the top of the page!

Is the plan for this to become a yearly build off? 

Potentially, but I think we'd have to show a little more ZEAL next time :wink:

The nature of the rules for this competition, timed with the release of the BA codex + BA Primaris upgrades, left most of us standing out in the cold. And if this becomes a yearly thing, the same rules will probably result in the same manner of turnout.

It's a bit too restrictive for my liking. A build event is a good idea, but for me, I don't really build a model, THEN paint it. The two processes have become much more blurred. For instance, I would never normally glue tracks on a tank until I had painted the hull and the tracks separately.

Well... The event is unbalanced, not because the rules but the differences between communities.

Blood Angels receive a fancy codex each edition, sometimes with new releases. That is nice and increase their fan base, and vampiric and cursed theme is always a plus.

I feel we deserve more love, but still we are in a better position than other chapters. We have 5 special or unique units (Helbretch, Grimaldus, Cenobyte Servitors, EC and Crusader Squad). Most chapters only have one character... Iron Hands have no special character, White Scars depend on the rules (one edition are top and next they are vanished)...

BT's fan base seems to be more resilent, smaller and with less recruitment, but still fighting for the Emperor... Still purging heretic by Chainsword in a game of massive shooting.

When were we included in the vainilla codex? Was it in 6thEd? Playing 5thEd with a 4thEd codex?

Still here, making much noise...

People laugh when I run BT... most of them say I should run Black UM or Raven Guard... but this is not the way.

Sons of Dorn are done for suffering great amount of damage and still fighting, no matter the odds.

We can lose a battle, but still we are the eternal crusaders.

For me it was simply not knowing what this competition was going to be about, building. If I had know two weeks earlier I would have had a lot more to vow in the HQ and Troops and Elite weeks.

Well... The event is unbalanced, not because the rules but the differences between communities.

Blood Angels receive a fancy codex each edition, sometimes with new releases. That is nice and increase their fan base, and vampiric and cursed theme is always a plus.

I feel we deserve more love, but still we are in a better position than other chapters. We have 5 special or unique units (Helbretch, Grimaldus, Cenobyte Servitors, EC and Crusader Squad). Most chapters only have one character... Iron Hands have no special character, White Scars depend on the rules (one edition are top and next they are vanished)...

BT's fan base seems to be more resilent, smaller and with less recruitment, but still fighting for the Emperor... Still purging heretic by Chainsword in a game of massive shooting.

When were we included in the vainilla codex? Was it in 6thEd? Playing 5thEd with a 4thEd codex?

Still here, making much noise...

People laugh when I run BT... most of them say I should run Black UM or Raven Guard... but this is not the way.

Sons of Dorn are done for suffering great amount of damage and still fighting, no matter the odds.

We can lose a battle, but still we are the eternal crusaders.

In what way is it unbalanced? We also receive a fancy new codex every edition and in fact always receive it before BA does.  BA also got no new models released with this codex so I don't think blaming it on that is fair or has anything to do with the event. Honestly, It just feels like we lack the player base we once used to have here on the forum and/or we have a large group of veterans who simply don't need many new models. 

In what way is it unbalanced? We also receive a fancy new codex every edition and in fact always receive it before BA does.  BA also got no new models released with this codex so I don't think blaming it on that is fair or has anything to do with the event. Honestly, It just feels like we lack the player base we once used to have here on the forum and/or we have a large group of veterans who simply don't need many new models. 

Well, unbalanced because both armies started in different positions, sorry English is not my mother language and maybe I'm not doing my best. I'm sure there are more BA players than Templars and sure that there are more BA in tournaments or casual games than BT.

Blood Angels have their own codex (BA+successor chapters), and they received special boxes (Primaris units and heros) with their heraldic, that is important for selling and increasing a fan base. Because you can buy Vainilla or BA or DA primaris, and then when Space Wolves will be released, I suppose they will receive more primaris boxes SW themed. So BA DA SW are the main SM chapters' ranges, and of course the vainilla range (being the BT and the other chapters "lesser chapters": White Scars, Salamanders, Iron Hands...).

Also they receive new fluff and they have more amount of fluff (in terms of volum/pag number, etc.) and received great amounts of stories like Devastation of Baal that is really important in the new background.

Black Templars in the other hand are in the vainilla codex (maybe the most divergent chapter in the codex) and didn't receive its own codex or "family codex" (Sons of Dorn codex), I think the main reason because we will never receive a "Sons of Dorn" codex is that Imperial Fists and Crimson Fists are codex chapters, but BT have similar amount of desviation and special stuff like DA for example, we are less codex compliant than them, and close to SW divergence.

We are in the same group than other chapters that are codex compilant, but it is true that it is a better position than most of them because we have 5 special units that allow us to play really different. We are not receiving new BT minis, but we receive all vainilla's ones so it is ok.

Another weakness is our fluff is really short and each edition is twisted... few days ago I started to read again the BT codex (2005)... there are many differences but our fluff is changing little bit codex after codex but not receiving enough love IMO.

I know there are other chapters in a worse position (Iron Hands), but I'm not complaining, I'm only saying that the most balanced competition could be DA vs BA. Another example could be doing a Imperial Guard competition: Cadia or Scions vs  Steel Legion (also first rules in Armageddon codex), there will be less players with steel legion.

i think the issues i had were i didn't realise it was a building challenge till a day or two before the rules were put up and by then i had already built the models i could have entered the only ones i had left to build were HQ's so thats why i only entered into that and i feel thats maybe the case for many others here too...

i also agree with Dark_Jober that a really popular stand alone codex vs a not very popular secondary chapter in Codex Ultra Marines (i hate to say that but its true) isn't exactly a fair match up.

I mean when you enter a GW store what do you see in the space marine section: blue, red, green, grey and silver (maybe black and silver for DW) we aren't on the shelves anymore and it hurts us, new players aren't going to look at the codex then decide they're going to see what looks cool on the shelves and choose from there... so we aren't really going to have the numbers we once did.

My main issue has been with, is that beside Primaris, is that there is really isn’t anything I could be building to add to my army. Honor Gaurd where a vanity project. But otherwise, it’s just been motivation wise hard for me to want to build or get anything.

I think that issue I imagine others have under fancy new codex. Is that we have been playing same army and even same units more or less sense 4th Edition. It’s why I want a new codex or new themed units like biker Crusaders. Mostly because I have gotten tired of building same units and models for last decade.

One problem I’m having is that most of my models need a second pass before they’re table ready, even without doing any more painting. So I’m backed up with half done models that I can’t even use just to get points in this event.

This is why I sat out the transport and will sit out the flyer vow, I need more than a week to get them done to a standard that is useful, despite having models in the box ready to be put together.

Archived