Breachers with Termite... flamers or melta

Withershadow

Hey everyone, I was wondering if folks have any plans on utilizing Breachers with the new Termite transport?

Putting the Breachers' old issues of cost aside, the Termite gives them more workability in a non-Zone Mortalis game.

Against vehicles, the Termite lands a S10 against side armor, so that's an extra hull point stripped.  2 meltas and a combi-melta won't deal with Spartans and whatnot, but they should do well against stuff like Deredeo, Scorpius and Sicaran tanks you usually find in the backfield (and no, I don't find ceramite prevalent on stuff that's not AV13+ on the sides).  Along with the Termite hit, the unit can pretty reliably strip 3 hull points from most vehicles. In fact, the meltas alone have a ~67% chance to explode an AV12 vehicle before saves. As an Alpha Legion player, if running them with Dynat, it's something like an ~85% chance.  Basically, they can reliably kill a non-Spartan/Raider vehicle on arrival, and then be a nuisance/scoring unit deep in enemy lines.

Against infantry, the Termite works even better, because rather than displacing itself, it displaces the unit it lands under.  This bunches them up quite nicely for templates.  I did some mock placements of infantry that have to displace for a 5" blast, and given a deployment from a side hatch, it's pretty easy to tag 6-7 dudes per flamer template.  So we're talking like 20 S4 AP5 hits from flamers, another 9 from the bolters, (so already about 5 dead MEQ, and 19 dead cultists) plus the D6 S6 AP4 auto-hits from the Termite, PLUS the Termite's heavy flamers if you take them. That's a lot of damn fire.

Out of the two, I like the flamers for rule of cool, for making use of the bolters, and for how annoying they make the unit to charge: no extra attacks due to the shield, 2D3 autohits on overwatch, 5++ invulnerable, and then a challenge with a breacher charge to the face from the Sergeant.

On the other hand, the melta may be more applicable to the typical 30K battlefield (Cultists are more of a internet-meta concern than reality for most people I would surmise), and also allow you to do things like tagging a transport with the Termite, slagging it with the meltas, and then torching the contents with the Termite's heavy flamers.

There is also the option for meltabombs. I would have liked if Breachers had the same discount as veterans, but it is what it is.

9 Breachers + 2x meltas, Sgt with combi-melta, artificer armor, breaching charge, and melta-bomb

265 points

Termite with 2 heavy flamers

100 points

Certainly expensive (more so with vexilla or vox), but seems like a pretty fun module both from a modeling and play perspective.

Edited by Withershadow

Hey everyone, I was wondering if folks have any plans on utilizing Breachers with the new Termite transport?

Me. :)

Ten or eleven dudes with Melter, Flamer, powerfist, AA and Melterbombs, because I build them like that.

Maybe a Vox (depends on the rest of my army) and maybe a Apothecary.

Of course the Termite gets twin linked Volkite Chargers because #chooomnotboom ;)

PS: In my gaming group there are at least two Militia armies in the making right now, which is awesome. Maybe I have to magnatize my dudes and give them the option for more CHOOOM CHOOOM POWER.

I’d assume you have the tools to deal with a Spartan Death Star, so it might be useful to put a squad in the termite that can nuke the contents of the Spartan when it inevitably goes boom. The termite can do as you said with the meltas but I’m almost thinking it would be better as a one two punch.

1.) termite into the Spartan to take off a hull point, disembark plasma squad

2.) shoot at Spartan with other AT, then fun down the contents with your plasma squad

Now there’s definitely some risk involved but it would be one hell of kick to the crotch if it went off.

Any unit that would normally enjoy a drop pod utilizes the Termite even better (can land even closer, potential to displace units, additional damage, and you don't have to disembark on arrival).

Although the classic solution for Spartans is Lightnings and the like, I prefer the more goofy approaches like Saboteurs and Machine Killer veterans.

With Dynat, my squad is shooting 6 meltas at S9 AP0, re-rolling armor penetration.  Even AV14 armoured ceramite takes a pen or two from that volley, which blow it up on a 4+.  In subsequent turns, it's only 2 melta shots, but now they can charge in to use their S9 re-roll penetration melta-bombs.  They clean up shop.

I'd take meltas for sure.

In general though I'd run them in a dreadclaw with melta bombs instead. Because the drill isn't an assault vehicle I'd probably cram it with shooty stuff.

Eh. Even then, the termite has a 12 body carrying capacity versus the dreadclaw. So it gives you more options to be able to tag along with them. Nothing doesn't say an apothecary doesn't further increase the survivability of your breachers along with maybe a single centurion with a legion specific weapon to do some damage in the backfield.

Expensive? Yes.

Rule of Cool? Yes.

Totally worth it? Of course.

SoH termite breacher/Vets/reavers are absolutely dirt nasty.

Turn 1:

A.) pop up turn one within 12” of your chosen victim

B.) using long march and death dealers, your unit is now BS10 (+1 bs for 12”, reroll 1’s turn one)

C.) drink the tears of your enemy who was your friend before the game

^ Yep, this introduces a lot of pop-up brutality to the game.  I have a feeling auspexes will become standard equipment for everyone that can take them. 

I'd take meltas for sure.

In general though I'd run them in a dreadclaw with melta bombs instead. Because the drill isn't an assault vehicle I'd probably cram it with shooty stuff.

They are shooty the first turn, assaulty on the following ones.  Dreadclaw can also work, although it's 35 points more before upgrades on the Termite. If you are popping them out first turn upon arrival (which you should if trying to alpha a spartan or some nasty ranged threat), you can't assault anyway.

Like stated by DietofLiquor, I also like the extra two slots to put in a character.

Edited by Withershadow