Unit advice needed.

Okay, I currently play Raven Guard, but I've had an idea brewing for a Chaos warband for a while now.

The premise I'm building on is they are the remnants of the Flame Falcons chapter who escaped the purge by the Grey Knights, since it was never established that they actually got the whole chapter. I'm planning on calling them The Immolated.

The only thing I've decided on for sure is that every unit that can have the Icon of Flame will be getting it.

I'm also planning on kitbashing the models with Loyalist Marine parts and every bit of flame motif I can get my hands on. This is to represent their mutation of bursting into flames in combat. And also because they are really just renegades who haven't fully embraced Chaos (though they are being slowly corrupted without their knowledge).

All that said, what units should I look into that fit my theme? I'm trying to avoid the more heavily mutated ones, though I might get some flame elemental models to represent spawn or possessed.

Edit: I'm avoiding Cultists unless I can think of a really good reason to include them. These guys only turned out of being furious at the Imperium for purging a loyal chapter, not because there was anything inherent about Chaos that appealed to them. As a result, they would probably not welcome Cultists into their ranks.

Edited by Claws and Effect

Almost any of the Chaos Marine units will work. Base CSMs for troops, Havocs for Devs, Raptors for Assault Squads, Chosen take the place of Sternguard. Oh, and Termies, of course. Since the Icon of Flame is only 12" range, you'll want units that can close quickly, so I'd recommend Terminators and Raptors.

To include Cultist, use the Necromunda Stuff. You have normal humans working around any Space Marine Chapter or Chaos Legion all the time. Those could be Mercenaries or local forces fighting for you. The Orlock Gang comes with two heavy stubbers in each pack and they fit perfectly a more civilian scheme of normal humans.

I'm probably going with the Renegades tactics. Ability to advance and charge seems like it would be useful.

And if I give my units Assault weapons they can still shoot. Thinking about going with flamers, modeled as them learning how to use their combustion mutation offensively.

I saw some great third party conversion piece for the Legion of the Damned. You can check that to get some pads or other armor Equipment with flames.

Creat a new renegate warband forbid some units, but you could use :

- Chaos Lord/Captain SM, Sorcerer/archivist, Techmarines, Chaplain/dark apostle

- Centurion for count as Obliterators/Mutilators

- Standard troops, raptor/assault squad, Havok/devastator

- Biker

- Dreadnought, Terminators, Chosen/Veteran squad

Obviously no Chaos spawn, Defilers, Fiends, Daemon Prince, warp talon, possessed, Heldrake, Cult troop.

Oh and i almost forgot : put your hands on the HELLFORGED PREDATOR from Forgeworld. Put every flamers you can on that masterpiece (and believe me, you can, A LOT : Infernal flamestorm canon for 2D6 autohit S5 Dmg2 AP-1 + 2 heavy flamers + 1 combi flamers + Infernal hunger to eat some enemy on close (oups..) and Burn them all.

Check out forgeworld's salamander kits, loads of flames on them. Although I'm not sure about how realistic your dudes having old mark armour is, might be worth a look.

As for what units to include, Iron Father Ferrum summed it up nicely above; anything with a loyalist alternative will work.

Also, each battleship has thousands of human crew, chaos warbands have a whole mini society living and dieing in the bowels of their ships. I imagine it would be far from rare for a bunch of them to be rounded up into landers and plopped onto battlefields. Seems like a fluffy way to justify cultists in pretty much any chaos army.

Reyka

• 3 weeks later...

Probably won't go with anything older than MKV for armor.

When they were purged they were still a fairly young chapter, so they wouldn't have had much in the way of relics.

I'll probably give the Warlord the Black Mace. I'm planning on making him a Chaos Lord on a bike modeled to resemble Ghost Rider. I figured his chain would be a workable power maul counts-as.

Probably won't go with anything older than MKV for armor.

When they were purged they were still a fairly young chapter, so they wouldn't have had much in the way of relics.

I'll probably give the Warlord the Black Mace. I'm planning on making him a Chaos Lord on a bike modeled to resemble Ghost Rider. I figured his chain would be a workable power maul counts-as.

It turns out we have something in common!  We both play Raven Guard and a renegade Chaos warband.  

Your warlord needs an appropriately evil weapon.  How about The Murder Sword!  

You could try running something like a chaos rhino steel wall.  Have each rhino contain a unit of regular chaos marines with double plasma and a squad of chosen with 5 flamers.  Maybe have 4 or 5 of those rhinos then add in a bunch of preds.  

How do you feel about Tzeentch daemon allies or Thousand Sons allies?  That seems like it would be a good source of flame themed stuff.

Also you should consider cultists not as part of your force but as useful idiots to further the aims of your chapter.  Cultists are weak fools that think the dark gods will offer them glory or salvation.  They will die with a wimper without anyone ever remembering them as anything other than pawns of the more powerful.  

Edited by SanguinaryGuardsman

The theme I'm going with here is a Chapter that believes themselves to still be loyal, but is slowly being corrupted without them realizing it.

Like, their Librarians are now Sorcerers but didn't notice that they turned.

Their flames have long since consumed their flesh, leaving them as flaming skeletons in armor, but they think nothing of it. Possessed are just guys who have wholly given themselves over to the flames, but see it as a good thing.

Basically Tzeentch is thoroughly pulling the wool over their eyes and they've deluded themselves into believing it was all their own idea and they aren't corrupted at all.