Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

First wave of Forge World Custodes 40k beta rules

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

torcathmk2

torcathmk2

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 57 posts
Saw this pop up on the Community site
https://www.warhamme...omepage-post-2/

It's worth reiterating that Forgeworld say this is the first beta rules set, implying more to come. And the data sheets imply that Forgeworld Custodes will be getting their own Imperial Armour book.
So it's fair to say if a unit isn't here, it will be coming.

Edited by torcathmk2, 13 February 2018 - 02:46 PM.

• Noserenda, DuskRaider and Ranwulf like this

Dulahan

Dulahan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 418 posts
Pricey pricey pricey.  As expected.  Not fully sure if the Achillus is worth it, but I'll be taking it.  and it's not like I don't end up listing at 45-50 points under 2k half the time anyways.  So it being 46 more points than a usual Contemptor is not a big deal.

The Exemplar is particularly Juicy looking.  Out of nowhere, and probably heads and tails above a Kheres or Multimelta armed Dread, but for 270 points if I did that right, that's still a hefty investment, but to have a 36" anti-tank style shooting weapon?  Might be worth it all the same.

Sad there's no Telemon, Gallatus, or Sagitarrum guard yet.  But at least we have more flavorful tank options now!

Edited by Dulahan, 13 February 2018 - 02:42 PM.

Lord Marshal

Lord Marshal

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 751 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Guard

I hope you're happy. Fires of Cyraxus probably got delayed for another three-five years now.

• Vilicate, Black Orange, Noserenda and 7 others like this

TheFinisher4Ever

TheFinisher4Ever

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 368 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights
I'm so thrilled with this for multiple reasons.

First off, FW using the community as play testers is a no-brainer that should have happened long ago. This will hopefully lead to a more balanced finished product.

Second, these rules really help out one of the Custodes biggest weaknesses; lack of long range anti-tank. They now have multiple options for that role. In addition, they got access to a transaport that can be locked in combat, another huge win. I'm ecstatic.
  • Honda, DuskRaider, Juggernut and 3 others like this

Ad Mech - 5,000 points

Blood Angels - 12,000 points

Dark Angels - 6,500 points

Deathwatch - 3,000 points

Eldar - 18,500 points

Imperial Fists - 5,000 points

Imperial Guard - 1,000 points

Grey Knights - 6,500 points

Sisters of Battle - 4,000 points

Dulahan

Dulahan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 418 posts

Ouch, just realized the tanks have only a 3+ save, and their invul is a 6++, though they do get a 6+++

I think those tanks are gonna be highly vulnerable, despite the firepower.  Land Raider might remain the.... yeah, just don't bother with tanks it seems.

Guiltysparc

Guiltysparc

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,639 posts
Keep in mind their invuln will be improved by 1 in a Custodes detachment, so they are all effectively 5++ on the tanks and 4++ on the dreads. Not shabby at all.

Edit: Ignore me, that only applies to infantry and bikes.

Edited by Guiltysparc, 13 February 2018 - 02:51 PM.

gallery_92768_11583_3171.png                         gallery_92768_11583_2220.jpg

My Legio XII Project Log                                                                             

My Ultramarines Primaris Plog

Sete

Sete

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 7,691 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars/Grey Talons
Interesting

torcathmk2

torcathmk2

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 57 posts

Ouch, just realized the tanks have only a 3+ save, and their invul is a 6++, though they do get a 6+++

I think those tanks are gonna be highly vulnerable, despite the firepower.  Land Raider might remain the.... yeah, just don't bother with tanks it seems.

Beta rules.
If you think it's an issue, it's vital you tell them. Forgeworld give all the details for contacting them in the pdf.
  • Bronze Beast in the Dark and Zopha like this

betrayer41

betrayer41

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,297 posts
  • Faction: Space Wolves

So is only the Spear dread on there and not the sword?

Does this mean im safe to pick up the custodes vehicles? its ok if theur rules change I just hope they all stay legal.

Edited by betrayer41, 13 February 2018 - 03:07 PM.

sfPanzer

sfPanzer

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,919 posts
  • Faction: Knights of Baal

I'm so thrilled with this for multiple reasons.

First off, FW using the community as play testers is a no-brainer that should have happened long ago. This will hopefully lead to a more balanced finished product.

Second, these rules really help out one of the Custodes biggest weaknesses; lack of long range anti-tank. They now have multiple options for that role. In addition, they got access to a transaport that can be locked in combat, another huge win. I'm ecstatic.

They have as much ranged anti-tank as they had before, just that it's now a fancy Custodes-only vehicle instead of a Landraider everyone else can use as well. The transport with FLY keyword is a huge bonus tho, I agree!

Disclaimer:

If my posts appear rude to you, I apologize. It's not meant to be rude in any way, it's just the way folks are in my country. It's really more about being direct than being rude. I know how it's perceived in the english speaking community and I already try to tone it down but I barely notice when it's too much since it's normal for me.

So yeah, I'm really not rude it's basically just cultural differences that act against me here. Again, I apologize.

gallery_62972_10568_7658.jpgbFk9acX.pnggallery_62972_14467_40478.png

Juggernut

Juggernut

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,546 posts
  • Faction: The Brass Stampede

They all look about right to me, FWIW.

• Black Orange likes this

ronin_cse

ronin_cse

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,422 posts
  • Faction: Blood Angels

Haven't even looked at them yet but....well I can use that amazing Dreadnaught in 40k finally, I'm definitely starting Custodes now!

• Guiltysparc likes this

Covenant_of_Caliban_2_Banner.jpgT0x4MJd.pnggallery_84846_13531_32020.png

TheFinisher4Ever

TheFinisher4Ever

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 368 posts
  • Faction: Grey Knights
One odd thing I noticed about the Coronus is that it's twin Arachnus has a mode thats heavy D6. So what would a single Arachnus do? I'm guessing the burst mode on the twin Arachnus is supposed to be 2d6.

Ad Mech - 5,000 points

Blood Angels - 12,000 points

Dark Angels - 6,500 points

Deathwatch - 3,000 points

Eldar - 18,500 points

Imperial Fists - 5,000 points

Imperial Guard - 1,000 points

Grey Knights - 6,500 points

Sisters of Battle - 4,000 points

m_r_parker

m_r_parker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,016 posts

Am I reading too much into it with regards to the designers note on the Contemptor-Ememplar Dreadnought - in that it says it 'does not currently have a model'

Are we going to be getting another Custodes Dread model???

I don't really have an opinion on the 8th Edition rules, I'm not the best to speak on them or provide an opinion.

Other than that I can only say that it's good to see some interaction with rules development in the community. Don't like how it's presented, let them know. Looking forward to a completed product, but no doubt that people will moan about it being released a few units at a time or that 'FW are getting us to do their work for them' - I hope there's not a lot of negativity because I think this is a great way to do it.

• Honda likes this
gallery_26271_12264_20095.jpg

Brother Captain Alberic

Brother Captain Alberic

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 105 posts
  • Faction: Imperial Fists, Black Templars
Not sure what’s happened but the link seems to take me to a page that doesn’t exist now.

Edited by Brother Captain Alberic, 13 February 2018 - 03:31 PM.

In the Truth of the Emperor we trust.

m_r_parker

m_r_parker

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,016 posts

Not sure what’s happened but that page has been taken down now.

It's still up there, but for some reason I can only see it if I go into the Forge World section of the community site - it's not showing up on the main Community page.

One example of the various glitches I hate about the Community site...

gallery_26271_12264_20095.jpg

Honda

Honda

++ HOSTICUS PLAUSTRUM ++

• ++ MODERATI ++
  • 6,247 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

<looks over at unbuilt Galatus> Ok, maybe you won't become a Templar.

Very excited about the tanks.

• Knightsword likes this

gallery_15184_7227_34669.jpg

"All those rumors about us being intolerant and stubborn really just evolved from our history. We're actually just a fun bunch of guys who enjoy burning witches" - Anon

Charlo

Charlo

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 18,209 posts
This is the best news.

And I'm currently in Disneyland :D!

Going to convert my Contemptor into an Exemplar (which really the Telemon is a great example to use because of its weapons).

Very very happy!
  • Honda likes this

Zopha

Zopha

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 472 posts
  • Faction: Crimson Fists/Imperial Fists

Am I reading too much into it with regards to the designers note on the Contemptor-Ememplar Dreadnought - in that it says it 'does not currently have a model'

Are we going to be getting another Custodes Dread model??

It's just the Archillus without a spear and an extra option to take a las-pulsar. For some reason FW are selling models with set loadouts instead of offering the arms as a separate purchase so at most we'll see a new arm for it.

Edited by Zopha, 13 February 2018 - 03:39 PM.

gallery_45765_11559_23075.pnggallery_45765_11565_21922.png

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,531 posts

The points are a bit on the high end but not unreasonably so - this is the first drop of some playtest rules after all. I certainly will have no qualms about dropping any of this into my army. And the tanks are *fast* and of course have that crucial FLY keyword.

Dulahan

Dulahan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 418 posts

The more creative could easily convert one with the normal contemptor and figure out a way to represent the Las-Pulsar instead of the Multimelta/Kheres.  I'm not sure what arm weapon I'd use, maybe something from the Eldar?

Shockmaster

Shockmaster

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 359 posts
  • Faction: Death Guard/Nurgle Daemons

Damn I was just getting past my temptation to start a Custodes army as a side project and now this. tongue.png

Reclusiarch Krieg

Reclusiarch Krieg

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 4,218 posts
  • Faction: Black Templars

I was waiting for this to happen :D

Threefold Brush Studio Cheap! Fast! Gorgeous! We ship worldwide.
SuOSJCa.png
Stormbolt & Hammer
, a new Age of Sigmar Forum!

Juggernut

Juggernut

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,546 posts

IMO the most important part of the article is this:

Send your feedback to us to forgeworld@gwplc.com using the following format. We’re anticipating a large volume of feedback, and therefore we won’t be able to accept any feedback that doesn’t follow these guidelines:

Please make sure that you use the subject line “FWCUSTODES” and note that you must use the headers below to provide us with your feedback. When writing any feedback email, please repeat the same format for each individual unit, item of wargear or ability you wish to discuss.

• The unit’s datasheet which this feedback refers to
  • The number of games played using this unit and faction keywords used in these games
  • The item of wargear or ability to which this feedback relates
  • Suggestions relating to the above unit’s wargear or ability and the rationale for these
  • Suggestions regarding the points values for the unit and its abilities 

We won’t be able to reply to each email individually but rest assured that your feedback will be considered when writing the final version of these rules. We’re always looking out for ways to make your hobby better, and if there are any other models or ranges you want to see rules for, let us know! While some miniatures are intended for play in the 31st Millennium by design, we reckon there are still plenty of opportunities to bring some relics of the past into your games in the Dark Imperium – so let us know!

• Drudge Dreadnought and betrayer41 like this

Juggernut

Juggernut

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,546 posts

For the life of me I can't figure out how to leave a comment on FW's Facebook page. I've done it before in the past, I can see posts and comment on them, but I can't post one of my own.

Is anyone else having that problem?

I just want to ask what format in the subject line we should use for feedback related to other factions.

Edited by Juggernut, 13 February 2018 - 04:45 PM.

4 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 4 guests, 0 anonymous users