Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

First wave of Forge World Custodes 40k beta rules

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
70 replies to this topic

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,172 posts
  • Chapter Name: Raven Guard and VIII Legion
Well in a pure detachment, it's a 5++. Not sure how relevant that is though as it only matters against ap -3 guns/weapons. -1 to hit is pretty annoying, but I feel is way over done and also not quite representative of a flare shield. Serpent shield - 1 dam might be interesting.

Also just realized that they're missing machine spirit :( . I get that people hate the custodes stuff in 30k, but the vehicles were frustrating purely from how flare shields, jink, machine spirit and a low amount of weapons interacted. Even then it's really the coronus as the main culprit since it's frontage was so large and it needed to die before it could unload dudes turn 1. The damage output was never really the problem

gallery_48988_10980_12646.pngL_T_2_2016_Medal.gifNostraman_zpsf4be09e4.png

gallery_48988_10980_563.pnggallery_48988_10980_1482.pnggallery_48988_10980_56.pnggallery_48988_10980_4128.png

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,816 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines
The machine spirit omission isn't too bad because of the naturally good BS.

I think the Calidius at a cost of 260 with a 5++ would be worth the consideration.
To be honest, as only 1 can be taken per detachment none of these units are in any danger of being spammed or abused.

I think the Dread is actually good at 245 (because of stratagems available to Custodes also). Maybe a modest 5 point drop would be good for it.
  • Hellex_The_Thanatar likes this

-~Ishagu~-

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,215 posts

Yeah, the issue in 7E is that S vs AV means you could get to the point that even most AT weapons had little to no chance of hurting it. Under 8E lasguns can ping wounds off.

I suspect this initial ruleset is testing the "core" Custodes flavored mechanics for the vehicles and weapons, and will get more dialed in from here. Certianly a better approach than "soulburner pertrard looks fine, ship it lol".

Hellex_The_Thanatar

Hellex_The_Thanatar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 560 posts
Wondering why the gun for caladius doesn't get the tracking. We have zero anti air. Hmm. Not that it hitting most fliers on a 3+ if it doesnt move is bad. It can't even kill a rhino though in one round realistically.

Hmm give it flat 2 damage and 5++ and be done with it.maybe drop 15 if those two things change.

Withershadow

Withershadow

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,440 posts

Strange that they are creating new variants instead of just making rules for the existing models. The shield one should probably be rocking a 3++.

Wondering why the gun for caladius doesn't get the tracking. We have zero anti air. Hmm. Not that it hitting most fliers on a 3+ if it doesnt move is bad. It can't even kill a rhino though in one round realistically.

Hmm give it flat 2 damage and 5++ and be done with it.maybe drop 15 if those two things change.

Jetbikes have flakk missiles and there is a stratagem for anti-air, but fair enough.

Edited by Withershadow, 13 February 2018 - 08:25 PM.

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,172 posts
I mean Ish, it's far far more reliable in the hitting department in 30k. There's so many -1 to hit rules floating around I think keeping it's move and shoot ability won't break the bank.

gallery_48988_10980_563.pnggallery_48988_10980_1482.pnggallery_48988_10980_56.pnggallery_48988_10980_4128.png

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,215 posts

Strange that they are creating new variants instead of just making rules for the existing models. The shield one should probably be rocking a 3++.

Jetbikes have flakk missiles and there is a stratagem for anti-air, but fair enough.

The "new variant" is basically an Achillus that forgot its dreadspear, with an option for an arm that's an existing weapon strapped onto it.

The Jetbike flakks are kinda terrible. Like IIRC the melta missile will do better firing at a single model unit.

Dulahan

Dulahan

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 403 posts

Well in a pure detachment, it's a 5++. 

No.  It's not.

The bonus to invuls only applies to Infantry and Bikers per the Codex itself.  The FAQ supposedly made this clearer too.  But none of the Dreads, or the Landraider, or now these ones get a bonus to invul in pure detachment.  They're not Infantry or Bikers.

Kargrym

Kargrym

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 121 posts

Tank point cost is 315

Carrier point cost is 370

I wondered if it is better than a Venerable Land Raider until I stupidly remembered, duh, they fly! No worries about getting touched and never shoot again. That alone makes something like the tank and carrier last longer in the game.

• sfPanzer likes this

Hellex_The_Thanatar

Hellex_The_Thanatar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 560 posts

Tank point cost is 315
Carrier point cost is 370

I wondered if it is better than a Venerable Land Raider until I stupidly remembered, duh, they fly! No worries about getting touched and never shoot again. That alone makes something like the tank and carrier last longer in the game.

It sure doesn't if your opponent is dark angels plasma spam or dark Eldar cannon spam. Or regular Eldar dark reapers.

Hmmm.

Ascanius

Ascanius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 753 posts
  • Chapter Name: Sons of Medusa

It sure doesn't if your opponent is dark angels plasma spam

AHA!

Juggernut

Juggernut

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 5,114 posts
  • Chapter Name: The Brass Stampede
That’s a pretty small subset of units to be balancing against, in fairness. Not irrelevant, but only a tiny slice.

jd71B4p.jpgMFgjOT4.jpgjd71B4p.jpg

Hellex_The_Thanatar

Hellex_The_Thanatar

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 560 posts

That’s a pretty small subset of units to be balancing against, in fairness. Not irrelevant, but only a tiny slice.

Sample bias where I live I guess lol
  • Juggernut likes this

Black Orange

Black Orange

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,098 posts
  • Chapter Name: TODESKOMPANIE

I just think that because Custodians are inherently costly pointswise their transports should get a nice points break.

No one can beat my Wu Tang Sword Style!
my 40k blog:

https://greenblowfly.../alan-seds.html - Terminus Est - Heresy Era Tactics - Lists - Modeling & Painting (Templar Construction)
wc.jpg

Blood and Honor!
WorldEaterIcon.jpg

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Mary_Sue Mary Sue is a term used by losers

Ishagu

Ishagu

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,816 posts
  • Chapter Name: Ultramarines
The Carrier is OK. It should have a 5++ and the burst mode on the main gun should be heavy 2D6 but in terms of cost it makes sense as it has a very favourable degrading profile and can keep up with bikes.

The Calidius tank also needs a 5++ and a drop of around 55 points and we'll be talking. Also, every gun has random damage - just make the main cannon damage 2 and everyone will be happier.

Edited by Ishagu, 13 February 2018 - 10:34 PM.

-~Ishagu~-

wildweasel

wildweasel

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,215 posts

I just think that because Custodians are inherently costly pointswise their transports should get a nice points break.

I'm a Custodes fan person and nah, that's not how it works.

The Carrier is OK. It should have a 5++ and the burst mode on the main gun should be heavy 2D6 but in terms of cost it makes sense as it has a very favourable degrading profile and can keep up with bikes.

The tank also needs a 5++ and a drop of around 55 points and we'll be talking.

I think even more than keeping up with bikes it being 8" faster than foot slogging versus 4" makes riding in it for a turn actually pretty worthwhile.

Agreed on the other points - an invul 3 worse than your armor is largely moot.

• Plaguecaster likes this

SkimaskMohawk

SkimaskMohawk

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,172 posts

Well in a pure detachment, it's a 5++.

No. It's not.

The bonus to invuls only applies to Infantry and Bikers per the Codex itself. The FAQ supposedly made this clearer too. But none of the Dreads, or the Landraider, or now these ones get a bonus to invul in pure detachment. They're not Infantry or Bikers.

Yea woops I skimmed my epub on low light.

Invul is garbage then. It only matters against Melta guns; 17% chance is a joke.

Black Orange

Black Orange

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 8,098 posts
  • Chapter Name: TODESKOMPANIE

I am really liking the grav transport tank a lot. <3

No one can beat my Wu Tang Sword Style!
my 40k blog:

https://greenblowfly.../alan-seds.html - Terminus Est - Heresy Era Tactics - Lists - Modeling & Painting (Templar Construction)
wc.jpg

Blood and Honor!
WorldEaterIcon.jpg

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Mary_Sue Mary Sue is a term used by losers

Drudge Dreadnought

Drudge Dreadnought

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 2,463 posts
  • Chapter Name: Chaos, Dark Eldar

It's really great to see them taking community feedback. This gives me hope that they might bring back the Legion Dreadnoughts with custom rules/wargear (especially for the Chaos ones.)

DuskRaider

DuskRaider

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 3,909 posts
  • Chapter Name: Death Guard, 3rd Grand Company

And so many points...

This is the trend with FW units in 8th, I'm afraid...

The rules seem really good, it has me tempted to finish the Custodes I have and perhaps delve into a filthy Loyalist force for the first time. Hmm...

Check out my Photobucket Here

DuskRaider's 40K Death Guard: A Return to the Past

DuskRaider's Word Bearers Shadow War Kill Team & INQ28 Chaos Coven

DuskRaider's 30K Word Bearers Force

DuskRaider's 3rd Grand Company Death Guard Legion Force

To view my older threads, please go to the link HERE and download the add-on to view Photobucket linked images.

Brother Tyler

Brother Tyler

++ FIDELIS MILITUS ++

• +++ADMINISTRATUM+++
  • 18,846 posts
  • Chapter Name: VIIth Legion
Our Beta Rules topic has been created (see that forum).

Discussion of the FAQ should take place in the Agents of the Imperium forum.

gallery_26_548_2975.gif
gallery_26_548_5714.png
gallery_26_548_11725.gif

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users