Adeptus Custodes FW beta rules

• 1 month later...

I finally got my tanks built and got a chance to try them. Here are my critiques;

The Achillus seems ok, it just needs slight tweaks. I would leave the price on him the same, but I would make Impaling Lunge far better and I would give his shooting Dreadspear D6 damage. Impaling Lunge isn't terrible, but it feels far too weak for a 12' spear wielded by a 15' giant robot. I would make the hit roll of 6 be 2d6 damage or flat 6 damage. I would also look at making the heavy flamers a unique weapon instead, as they are in Inferno. Right now, I would NEVER switch out the amazing Lastrum Storm Bolters.

The Caladius actually seems pretty close to where it needs to be. The only changes I would make is to give it Power of the Machine Spirit and to make the Flare Shield better. Right now the Flare Shield is almost worthless and only comes into effect when being shot by AP-4, which is fairly uncommon. And even then, it only stops 1/6th of those wounds. It may stop 1 wound a game. I would prefer a return of the -1 strength instead, or a 5+ invuln. Maybe even an invuln that gets better the further away the shooting unit is? I personally like the -1 strength. That will have a huge affect against a variety of weapons, mainly S4, 7 & 8. A slight points drop would be nice as well.

The Coronus needs the most work. In addition to Power of the Machine Spirit and the changes to Flair Shields, it also needs 2d6 shots on its Arachnus Las Blaze. And most importantly, it needs some way to ignore the casualties from blowing up with models inside of it. As of right now, leaving 65+ point models inside of it is a horrible idea. Rolling 2-3 1s can lose you 150+ points in addition to the already too high 370 points for the vehicle. If they don't create some kind of reinforced cabin rule, I don't see this guy ever getting much play time. My suggestion would be to make 1s a mortal wound to a passenger instead of a dead model. Id also lower the points a bit.

Any ideas when we might see the final rules?

I don't think we will see them for a while. The next Imperial Armor will be Fires of Cyraxis, which has Ad Mech and Tau. We've been waiting on that book for over 2 years at this point. So don't hold your breath for the Custodes.

I’ve got a game tomorrow night vs the new Dark Eldar. 1500pts, so i thought I’d give the transports a crack (as I’m most interested in them for my custodes both model wise and gameplay wise).

It’s not an amazing army but should be a good showcase of if transports are important for the custodes.

***Custodes Patrol - 986pts***

HQ

Shield Captain on Dawneagle Jetbike

- Hurricane Bolter

- Interceptor Lance

TROOPS

3 Custodian Guard

- 2 Guardian Spears

- 1 Sentinel Warblade

- 1 Storm Shield

3 Custodian Guard

- 2 Guardian Spears

- 1 Sentinel Warblade

- 1 Storm Shield

ELITES

Vexillus Praetor

- Vexilla Magnifica

- Guardian Spear

HEAVY SUPPORT

Coronus Grav-Carrier

- Twin Arachnus Las-Blaze

- Twin Lastrum Bolt Cannon

***Imperium Vanguard - 510pts***

HQ

Company Commander

- Grand Strategist Warlord Trait

- Kurov’s Aquila Relic

ELITES

Ogryn Bodyguard

- Bullgryn Maul

- Brute Shield

3 Acolytes

- 3 Boltguns

3 Acolytes

- 3 Boltguns

HEAVY SUPPORT

Coronus Grav-Carrier

- Twin Arachnus Las-Blaze

- Twin Lastrum Bolt Cannon

I believe my opponent will have something along the lines of:

Battalion:

2 Archons

4 Kabalite units w/ 1 blaster each

4 venoms w/ double splinter cannon

Scourges w/ 2 blasters

1 dissie ravager

Spearhead:

1 Archon

3 dark lance ravagers

Should be a good game! I’ll keep you all updated.

So I had two games against the new DE last night and had a blast.

Game 1

My opponent kept 4 ravagers and a unit of scourges in reserve, deploying 4 venoms on the table. I gave my opponent 1st turn and deployed my shield captain terribly. My opponent still only managed to do 9 wounds to a coronus grav tank which was really quite impressive. The downside was that with the deployment I set up I couldn’t threaten the counter charge early and didn’t have enough pressure to threaten his gunline. Major loss and it went very quick.

Game 2

Same deal with my opponents deepstrike. This time, however, I set my shield Captain a lot closer to the front of my deployment zone, which meant he’d be able to counter charge a venom that tried to get into blaster range. Objective cards were also a little more polite to me. I took 1st turn and blew up a venom, while positioning to score some objective points. Unfortunately my opponent got lucky this time and completely blew up a coronus Carrier on his 1st turn. He literally put everything into the one Carrier and took its last wound with a splinter rifle shot. This time I was able to threaten his venoms and ravagers as I was a little more aggressive, but without more AT it was still an uphill battle. If the game ended turn 5 it would’ve been 12-9 my way, but it continued to 6 and went 13-12 for my opponent.

In short, I’m actually very impressed by the coronus grav Carrier. I don’t think they should be given power of the machine spirit (they’re a transport, not a gunship), but I do think they should be given EITHER a 5++ OR -1 to str vs ranged attacks (either one for the flare shields ability). I think -1 str to ranged attacks would be a much cooler mechanic and is similar to what they have in HH.

If they’re given a 5++, I think they can drop 20 or 30pts (at least). If they’re given -1 str to incoming ranged weapons I actually think they’re about the right place they should be.

I’ve got another game coming up on Sunday vs the new necrons. I’ll let you know how it goes! I think it’ll go significantly better for the carriers as the necrons list isn’t lacking a tremendous amount of long ranged AT, which means they should be able to carry the custodes to where I want them and drop them off.

Game against necrons today. I used the same list as above, against:

Sautekh Battalion:

Overlord

Cryptek

10 Immortals

5 Immortals

5 Immortals

Doomsday Ark

Doomsday Ark

Novokh Outrider:

Destroyer Lord w/ Casket

3 scarabs

4 destroyers

4 wraiths

Mission was Kill Confirmed (Maelstrom + Killpoints basically, from chapter approved). Deployment was hammer and anvil.

I deployed aggressively again, and positioned all my objective placements in the centre of the board to make sure I could bring the objective game into the midfield. I took first turn and managed to get first blood, and chipped away a wraith. My opponent raced his wraiths up, blew up a coronus (he got 6 shots from both arks...... AND 11 wounds from both on 2 dice....) and charged the 3 guardians inside with the wraiths. The shield captain stooping dived and this combat raged on for a few turns.

In my turn 2 i managed to wipe the entire destroyer unit with 3 custodian guard (who then consolidate into his destroyer lord) while my other coronus zipped around and captured some objectives. Thanks to objective secured I was also able to “defend” the objective in the middle that was being contested by the wraith combat.

The shield captain eventually falls out of the combat to capture an objective with objective secured and puts pressure on my opponents backfield, while my opponent charges the big unit of Immortals AND his warlord into my 3 guardians that chopped up his destroyers. I promptly kill his warlord and hold up the Immortals + destroyer lord in combat.

The shield captain holds up the backfield until it eventually drops, but I’ve racked up enough kill points and maelstrom while denying him objectives with ob sec to pull ahead.

First victory with the custodes! 18-12 my favour.

Really am enjoying the transports. Against armies without an obscene amount of AT (i.e. not Dark Eldar/IG) they’ll shine. They’re quick, resilient and hold your big combat units while dealing decent damage.

Still, they need EITHER the 5++ or -1 str against enemy ranged weapons.

Good luck with your games! Im going to a tournament on the 5th of may, expecting to get absolutely smashed. But I’ll write battle reports here :)

Archived