Welcome to The Bolter and Chainsword
Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more. If you already have an account, login here - otherwise create an account for free today!
Photo

Astra Militarum: How to deal with top ITC lists

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

Aothaine

Aothaine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,107 posts

Hello everyone!

So the LVO ended a few weeks ago. What I saw that was pretty scary were the Eldar Reapers, Cultist/Bloodletter bombs, and alpha strike lists. So I was curious. What are you all doing to prepare and counter these lists? Have any of you played against these hyper competitive lists? If so, how do you pull victories out?

Thanks in advance!

Arganias

Arganias

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 60 posts

My experience with the ITC tournament rules is limited, but... based on what I have seen with the lists that were posted a few days ago I would say more bodies. LVO tends to focus on smaller armies with guard as a stop gap, secondary list. I would advise that since the tournament rounds are timed that you tighten up your own understanding of the Guard Codex to avoid being accused of wasting time, since there is always 'that guy'.

If I remember with the older ITC rules set kill points is usually a fairly secondary and tertiary objective most of the time, so it might not be a terrible idea to consider a more attritional army build considering that the meta tends to run on more elite armies.  

• Aothaine and walter h like this

Halfpint100

Halfpint100

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 751 posts
  • Chapter Name: 32nd Firedrakes

Fun fact about ITC squad killing secondary, they only counts for squads of 10 or more, hence most guard squads will include a mortar to reduce that squad size to 9. Therefore not granting points when killed (if that secondary is selected). 

Other then that, a marine detatchment with scouts pushes back that alpha and the most important part: redundancy, if you have a key unit, take 2! or even better, 4!

• Aothaine and shandwen like this

Aothaine

Aothaine

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,107 posts

Fun fact about ITC squad killing secondary, they only counts for squads of 10 or more, hence most guard squads will include a mortar to reduce that squad size to 9. Therefore not granting points when killed (if that secondary is selected). 

Other then that, a marine detatchment with scouts pushes back that alpha and the most important part: redundancy, if you have a key unit, take 2! or even better, 4!

That is dirty! lol! Also, I could not agree more with redundancy.

I was hoping to field a massive infantry division with some tank support. Maybe like three basilisks and three leman russes. 

Are the scout walkers good at creating that anti-alpha strike bubble?

Feral_80

Feral_80

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 422 posts
Alpha deep strike assault is relatively easy to counter with Guard. Eldar, they are far superior in everything. I'd simply avoid facing them, it is really wasted time at top-lists level. Your best bet, if you must, requires heavy list-tailoring: avoid anything with a range over 24", focus on mobility, assault and close-range fire. In a word: Catachans, scions, close combat, Hellhounds and outflanking stuff.

Or, cross your fingers and wait for March. But don't expect much: the current (codex) rules have simply cut whole armies out from the competitive game, and Guard is chief among these. This situation is unfixable, even with points adjustments.

major higgins

major higgins

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 227 posts
I'm not sure that we will have points change in the next faq (GW said it will happens only in C.A.), on the other hands this new system it's become a "who cry out louder wins", so if they decide for points change I'm pretty sure that it will be in our disfavour and not the contrary. Eldar player have special ability in crying louder than anything else and have a "strange" perception about the strenght and weakness of theor codex, compared to the others...

It's quite clear how much I hate Space Elves?

I fear a return to the 7th system for tourney, where the most improbable list wins. I think that crying out louder than Eldar player could help, and forbid allaied and mixed soup list could help too
  • Beams likes this

Hatarus

Hatarus

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 40 posts
  • Chapter Name: Imperial Guard

personally i think the best thing is to just not worry to hard on the whole issue, create a list you think will work for you and stick to it if you let yourself get bogged down worrying about ways to counter what some of the top lists might be you will find yourself burnt out before you even make it to the event and that can put you in a rather bad mood to play against. Personally my advice would be to just take it easy there are going to be lists better then yours but if you go to see how far you can get rather then to win at all costs those lists won't bug you as much, honestly if i could give any advice at all it's that if people are there to win and only to win (and aren't being a "that guy") play your best accept the loss and just have a fun day  

• The_Oni_of_Hindsight, Frater Cornelius, duz_ and 1 other like this

Tallarn Commander

Tallarn Commander

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 394 posts

It's sort of an aphorism among U.S. Civil War historians and history buffs that General Ulysses Grant performed better as the leader of the Union Army than McClellan or Halleck because he was far more concerned about what he was going to do do the enemy and less concerned about what the enemy was going to do to him. He also applied this philosophy to his Western campaigns before becoming military leader of the Union army in 1864.

It's something I like to consider when I play 40K.  :)

• librisrouge, duz_ and the ergonomic enginseer like this

gallery_30308_9518_8793.jpgETL_2016_Banner_02_Oath_Breaker.jpggallery_30308_9518_10060.jpgCall_of_Chaos_10_Banner_01a.jpg

librisrouge

librisrouge

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 1,970 posts
  • Chapter Name: Cadian 333rd, the "Half-Damned"

It's sort of an aphorism among U.S. Civil War historians and history buffs that General Ulysses Grant performed better as the leader of the Union Army than McClellan or Halleck because he was far more concerned about what he was going to do do the enemy and less concerned about what the enemy was going to do to him. He also applied this philosophy to his Western campaigns before becoming military leader of the Union army in 1864.

It's something I like to consider when I play 40K. :)

Officially my favorite online post this week. Paton had a very similar philosophy and I like to think of him when I 40k.
  • The_Oni_of_Hindsight and the ergonomic enginseer like this

"Frak this, for my faith is a shield proof against your blandishments."

-Book of Cain - Chapter IV, Verse XXI

"I think you really need to be a guard player in order to have that kind of attitude about casualties. My forces were killed to a man for slight strategic gain? All I heard was a buzzing noise until that part about strategic gain."

-Ailarian, Hand of the Kind XXXI

http://thisisahelmet.blogspot.com/ - My Sometimes Update Blog

ETL_2015_Banner_02_Custos_Fidei_03.jpg gallery_4664_11830_5080.jpg sml_gallery_29004_10691_7586.pnggallery_48988_10980_7442.png

Frater Cornelius

Frater Cornelius

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 10,401 posts
  • Chapter Name: Imperial Guard

personally i think the best thing is to just not worry to hard on the whole issue, create a list you think will work for you and stick to it if you let yourself get bogged down worrying about ways to counter what some of the top lists might be you will find yourself burnt out before you even make it to the event and that can put you in a rather bad mood to play against. Personally my advice would be to just take it easy there are going to be lists better then yours but if you go to see how far you can get rather then to win at all costs those lists won't bug you as much, honestly if i could give any advice at all it's that if people are there to win and only to win (and aren't being a "that guy") play your best accept the loss and just have a fun day

Give this guy a medal. He gets the essence of a tabletop game. It... it is beautiful. I have nothing else to add :o

Well, if all else fails, just use a Dreadsock :D

Be excellent to one another, and lean on your brothers and sisters when your patience grows slim

MrZakalwe

MrZakalwe

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 36 posts
To fight the Eldar spam forgeworld hellhounds.

Seriously that's how IG has a shot at beating the top elder soup lists and even then you're facing an uphill battle

Generally speaking though you beat it by not agreeing to play it.

Edited by MrZakalwe, 15 February 2018 - 09:01 AM.

Otto von Bludd

Otto von Bludd

+FRATER DOMUS+

• + FRATER DOMUS +
  • 99 posts

What do we do commander?

Ghg1x7C.gif

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users