Forlorn Fury

Blackcadian

So I have been thinking back on this thread and am screwing with vehicles still.

I had been putting DC in rhino and advancing with some success (ala Khorne armies) supporting myself with jump vets.

It occurs that I should maybe switch and have mounted vets and DC jumpers in support on table instead just to use forlorn fury once in awhile.

Put out a wall of transports to hide the DC behind and then Forlorn Fury (or Wings of Fire) into the enemy.

Brings it's own LOS blockers... Im using the Transports anyhow and can put interesting things inside.

At 20 points a model the DC can be gambled with a bit and I sense there might be a deployment idea here for leveraging Forlorn Fury so thought I would bring it here to dissect some more.

Not perfect, but I would deploy more traditionally against armies with Arty/Reapers and really get some fun options perhaps otherwise.

Rhino is roughly 3 inches wide, Land Raider is 4 inches wide...

Thoughts? 

I have now been able to use Forlorn Fury twice to great success in tournament practice games. They are the wedge I drive into my opponent before slamming the Sanguinary Guard home into their special bits. They are the punch meant to be seen.

That sounds very good indeed! How many SG do you bring, and how do they perform with their low number of attacks? Is the Sanguinor not almost mandatory with them?

Edited by Blackcadian

A couple months ago I proposed starting DC on foot in Rhino and then Forlorn Furying them out if I got the first turn, and at least they'd be protected in Rhino if I didn't.  It gave almost the same starting movement as Jump Packs (3" disembark + 6" move + x" advance) vs. 12" +x" advance).  Combined with their regular move on turn 1 and then charge, they could realistically cover 25" in turn 1, and be into the enemy's front rank.

I see someone else above has suggested it.

But I believe a couple pros on the board told me that might not be a legal move, since the Stratagem only referenced moving + advancing, not disembarking.  Has this question been sorted out?

I have now been able to use Forlorn Fury twice to great success in tournament practice games. They are the wedge I drive into my opponent before slamming the Sanguinary Guard home into their special bits. They are the punch meant to be seen.

That sounds very good indeed! How many SG do you bring, and how do they perform with their low number of attacks? Is the Sanguinor not almost mandatory with them?

Well let it be known that I am starting the DC on the board to do this, I just happened to get first turn both times. It's definitely a big risk I am taking.

As far as Sang Guard, I bring 10: 5 powerfists, 5 swords, all assault bolters. I also bring a Libby to grant them +1 attack and keep them near my warlord for re-rolls. They perform fantastically in every game I've gotten the charge off. 

"Low" number of attacks is relative, and even then only to Death Company. Every wound is AP-3 D3 damage so the quality really shines through. Throw them at tanks, elite units, and Characters and you are almost guaranteed a kill. Even un-buffed you are looking at 20 attacks with re-rolls, 10 of which wound on 2+. 

Sanguinor is not only NOT mandatory, I really don't see a point for him. Granted I am trying to win tournaments so I'm trying to be as cost effective as possible and I don't even own the model but consider this: as long as they are within 6" of your Warlord, ANY Warlord, they get their re-rolls. Wealth of attacks is nice, but that's not what these guys do. If you are wasting the SG on chaff you are doing it wrong. 

A couple months ago I proposed starting DC on foot in Rhino and then Forlorn Furying them out if I got the first turn, and at least they'd be protected in Rhino if I didn't.  It gave almost the same starting movement as Jump Packs (3" disembark + 6" move + x" advance) vs. 12" +x" advance).  Combined with their regular move on turn 1 and then charge, they could realistically cover 25" in turn 1, and be into the enemy's front rank.

But I believe a couple pros on the board told me that might not be a legal move, since the Stratagem only referenced moving + advancing, not disembarking.  Has this question been sorted out?

Rhino is not a ”death company infantry” unit, so you can’t use forlorn fury to move the rhino.

Rhino is not a ”death company infantry” unit, so you can’t use forlorn fury to move the rhino.

I didn't say anything about moving the rhino.

The rule in question is about whether or not you can deploy your DC in a rhino, and then Forlorn Fury OUT of it before turn 1, making a disembark + regular move + advance.

I was talking about putting the DC with jump pack behind a pair of Rhino chasis parked butt together.

This provides almost perfect LOS blocking against even and lower elevations. (Not perfect as elevated enemy squads can see you).

They are then just over 3inches from your start line behind the Rhino chasis.

12+d6 inch Forlorn Fury then still puts them 12 inches average from your enemies deployment zone when you use it.

Plenty close to usually get into most things when your first turn starts and Lemartes drops in to buff etc.

-----------------

On the topic of foot DC inside a transport brought up by 9x19 Parabellum...

I can see it being argued either way and hope GW gets their FAQ FU together soon.

I see the foot DC inside the transport as a great option if it can Forlorn Fury to disembark + move + advance.

Great Excuse to use my Crusader tank that gathers dust too.

I was just driving up normally when running mounted DC not using Forlorn Fury to be clear.

It occured to me to put the DC jumpers behind the Rhinos for LOS blockers and that is why I posted to share.

So the Rhino is only involved as a blocker of line of sight against enemy shooting if I go second.

It has has other missions involving sternguard and grav cannons and such =)

Edited by Crimson Ghost IX

I still think disembarking isn't possible with Forlorn Fury but there's also another problem even if that were allowed ... how can you use a Stratagem on a unit that's not on the board?

I didn't say anything about moving the rhino.

The rule in question is about whether or not you can deploy your DC in a rhino, and then Forlorn Fury OUT of it before turn 1, making a disembark + regular move + advance.

My bad. That is an interesting thought, and would certainly be a lot safer if you don’t get the first turn.

The wording, as I understand it, implies that you can do all the thighs you could normally do on a movement phase. The word ”move” can of course refer only to the moving part of the movement phase rules, but why would you use ”as if it were your movement phase” in the end of the sentence.

I still think disembarking isn't possible with Forlorn Fury but there's also another problem even if that were allowed ... how can you use a Stratagem on a unit that's not on the board?

Same way you can make a DC Captain or outflank a unit of Space Wolves, I guess?