The Algonquin Table - A Liber Writing Challenge

Minigiant

This sounds incredibly fun and I've never done anything like this before. Unfortunately I have no idea what to use as an inspiration, there's just so many things to draw on.

Happy to make things more challenging by having someone else pick the source material a la Jim Butcher and the Codex Alera...

My goodness, this sounds like fun! Although, I have never delved into this part of the forums until now (just so the event in the right side of the forum, haha) so I'm an absolute n00b.

HPL/Cthulhu Mythos was the first thing that came to mind but since there's already a couple of entries related to that I will think whether or not I want to try something different.

By the way, does it have to be strictly inspired by literature? If not, how do we put up our vows?

This sounds incredibly fun and I've never done anything like this before. Unfortunately I have no idea what to use as an inspiration, there's just so many things to draw on.

Happy to make things more challenging by having someone else pick the source material a la Jim Butcher and the Codex Alera...

I would love to see a Dresden files chapter. I think one based off of furies would be great. Your fury determining your chapter role.

How different fury aligned chapter masters alter the chapters path

Do it

My goodness, this sounds like fun! Although, I have never delved into this part of the forums until now (just so the event in the right side of the forum, haha) so I'm an absolute n00b.

HPL/Cthulhu Mythos was the first thing that came to mind but since there's already a couple of entries related to that I will think whether or not I want to try something different.

By the way, does it have to be strictly inspired by literature? If not, how do we put up our vows?

First off, welcome to the Liber. We are a great (niche) group down here

Mythos is easily a great place to start, there is so much to draw from. I am confident you wouldnt clash with anyone else. Plus when there is enough HPL chapters including another 2 I want to write, I want to write a Mythos Crusade story.

Nope doesnt have to be literature but as we are writers I suspect that will maybe be more in abundance. To vow with non literature just state what best fits. AKA look at Dragon Age

Ooops, I forgot there was a Dragon Age entry already. Silly me!

Not sure about what route I'd take with the Mythos, but the first thing that I can think of is that my favorite story (Shadow over Innsmouth) already seems to have inspired a 40k faction! (GSC) :sweat: And the Chaos Gods already remind me a lot of the Mythos' Great Old Ones/Outer Gods. :sweat: :sweat:

But you are right, there's so much stuff in the Mythos to draw from! Plus, I have a physical copy of the Cthulhu Mythos Encyclopedia to help me as well.

Ooops, I forgot there was a Dragon Age entry already. Silly me!

Not sure about what route I'd take with the Mythos, but the first thing that I can think of is that my favorite story (Shadow over Innsmouth) already seems to have inspired a 40k faction! (GSC) :sweat: And the Chaos Gods already remind me a lot of the Mythos Great Old Ones/Outer God's. :sweat: : sweat:

But you are right, there's so much stuff in the Mythos to draw from! Plus, I have a physical copy of the Cthulhu Mythos Encyclopedia to help me as well.

Shadows over Innsmouth is what inspires the cursed founding successor chapter of my denizens of the deep :sweat:. (I actually own a 1st edition :ssh: )

Shadows over Innsmouth is what inspires the cursed founding successor chapter of my denizens of the deep :sweat:. (I actually own a 1st edition :ssh: )

Oooohhh, a first edition! :wub:

I think I may have an idea brewing! How about a Necron dynasty inspired by Robert W. Chambers' King in Yellow? I also thought that something like Harlequins could fit nicely but I like Necrons much more and I'm thinking Hastur could work as a C'Tan-like entity. :biggrin.:

Oooohhh, a first edition! :wub:

I think I may have an idea brewing! How about a Necron dynasty inspired by Robert W. Chambers' King in Yellow? I also thought that something like Harlequins could fit nicely but I like Necrons much more and I'm thinking Hastur could work as a C'Tan-like entity. :biggrin.:

Sounds good to me, make the unbreakable vow

This is a brilliant idea, count me in :)

I, Inquisitor Van Horn, of the Celestial Knights take up the Challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete one Index Astartes inspired by the work of Andrzej Sapkowski and submit it to the Liber. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the Emperor himself curse me if I fail.

I, Inquisitor Van Horn, of the Celestial Knights take up the Challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete one Index Astartes inspired by the work of Andrzej Sapkowski and submit it to the Liber. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the Emperor himself curse me if I fail.

A Chapter based on 'The Witcher' will be a welcome sight.

Well I've been mulling back and forth and I wantes to give Xenos some love but I didn't have it in me this time. And the Dresden Files is a fantastic setting but it was lacking an iconic hook unless every Astartes had a a leather Inverness coat and a stetson.

There are many other popular wizards however...

I, Zond, of the Disciples of the Phoenix, take up the Challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete one Index Astartes inspired by the work of JK Rowling and submit it to the Liber. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the Emperor himself curse me if I fail.

Well I've been mulling back and forth and I wantes to give Xenos some love but I didn't have it in me this time. And the Dresden Files is a fantastic setting but it was lacking an iconic hook unless every Astartes had a a leather Inverness coat and a stetson.

There are many other popular wizards however...

I, Zond, of the Disciples of the Phoenix, take up the Challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete one Index Astartes inspired by the work of JK Rowling and submit it to the Liber. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the Emperor himself curse me if I fail.

Welcome,I look forward to seeing what you do with this

I, Zond, of the Disciples of the Phoenix, take up the Challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete one Index Astartes inspired by the work of JK Rowling and submit it to the Liber.

The Death Eaters under Daemon Prince Voldemort and Champion Malfoy's leadership? The Knights of the Phoenix under Chapter Master Dumbledore and Champion Potter's leadership? Or both, the original Chapter having divided itself in a Chapter war, with loyalists and traitors trying to kill those they once called, "battle-brothers"?

I, Zond, of the Disciples of the Phoenix, take up the Challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete one Index Astartes inspired by the work of JK Rowling and submit it to the Liber.

The Death Eaters under Daemon Prince Voldemort and Champion Malfoy's leadership? The Knights of the Phoenix under Chapter Master Dumbledore and Champion Potter's leadership? Or both, the original Chapter having divided itself in a Chapter war, with loyalists and traitors trying to kill those they once called, "battle-brothers"?

Dark Angel successor with He who cannot be named being one of the Fallen

Good ideas.

Option D - All of the above.

I haven't forgotten about this! In fact, I spent the weekend thinking about how to approach this. :wink: So here I go:

I, Warpmiss of the Carcoss Dynasty take up the Challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete one Index Xenos inspired by the work of Robert W. Chambers and submit it to the Liber. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the C'Tan themselves curse me if I fail.

I will provide a link as son as I start the topic.

The name is a bit of a placeholder, though. None of my ideas seemed very appealing at the moment.

I, Beren, Munitorum coordinator of the Karadanis Astra Militarum tithes, take up the challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C, to complete one Index Imperialis inspired by the work of Steven Erikson and submit it to the Liber. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the God-Emperor and his Pantheon curse me if I fail.

I'm very much tempted by a renegade warband inspired by Fallout 4's Gunners or a loyalist Chapter inspired by one of the TES: Skyrim factions (Dawnguard and/or Vigilants of Stendarr are top of the list).

I'm very much tempted by a renegade warband inspired by Fallout 4's Gunners or a loyalist Chapter inspired by one of the TES: Skyrim factions (Dawnguard and/or Vigilants of Stendarr are top of the list).

A Bethesda fan is always welcome

As a big Skyrim fan I would love to see a Dawnguard Chapter. You could call them the Dorn Guards

I, Res Ipsa Loquitur, of the Kronstaat Worker's Defence Force, take up the Challenge. I vow, before my brothers and sisters of the B&C to complete one Index Astartes/Chaotica/Imperialis/Xenos inspired by the work of Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn and submit it to the Liber. I vow to support my fellow challengers to the best of my ability. May the Emperor/the Dark Gods/Brother Argos himself curse me if I fail.

Archived