Power From Pain - Halandaar's Drukhari

Halandaar

Wyches continue to melt like wet toilet paper in the face of a proper CC unit

This makes me sad with a hint of smug satisfaction; didn't think much would change regardless of GW's marketing plays, though I was sincerely hoping Wyches would be more useful :(

In either case, GG and I love seeing the Kabal/Cult/etc. come together!  I'm fairly certain I'm going to steal your Agoniser scheme, btw :D

If you are sending Wyches at "real combat units", and you standard for "real combat unit" are berserkers (who then are the only unit in the game that can claim to be a "real combat unit") you're frankly doing it wrong.  They are our best source of large volume of attacks to clear infantry screens, and no poison is not going to do it.  You are supposed to shoot the stuff that is dangerous in melee, because even a 4++ invulnerable isn't going to save you against 100 attacks from berserkers.  They are also great at sending against big stompy things like dreadnoughts who do a lot of damage but don't have a huge volume of attacks, and then laugh as they can't fall back and their power fists are being dodged left and right.

This makes me sad with a hint of smug satisfaction; didn't think much would change regardless of GW's marketing plays, though I was sincerely hoping Wyches would be more useful :sad.:

In either case, GG and I love seeing the Kabal/Cult/etc. come together!  I'm fairly certain I'm going to steal your Agoniser scheme, btw :biggrin.:

Oh i definitely think they will be useful, this just really wasn't a game they could shine in. They will murder chaff units like nobody's business. Probably the best thing I could have done with them would have been to attempt to tie up the Daemon Prince, but they ended up on the opposite side of the board so it wasn't really an option.

If you are sending Wyches at "real combat units" ... you're frankly doing it wrong.  You are supposed to shoot the stuff that is dangerous in melee, because even a 4++ invulnerable isn't going to save you against 100 attacks from berserkers.  

Already acknowledged that failure to crack transports and shoot up the contents was the major failing of my game, and also that Wyches lacked viable targets in this particular matchup. Thanks for the lesson though.

It's still early in the codex to be taking the best strategy at every turn.  I think these mistakes are essential to getting the most from our units in the future, and to some extent adapting to the game at hand requires using units out of their proscribed "role".  I'm definitely not throwing any units to the bin just yet, but tabletop experience will be the ultimate factor and I have little patience for units that don't work, whether due to meta-focus or simple lack of credible application.  With that being said, I still think I'm going to wait to paint Wyches in favour of working on Kabalites/Transports/etc. :)

• 1 month later...

Aware I haven't posted in here for a little while (ETL has siphoned off much of my hobby time to the Astartes forum), however, I did make a small OOC vow for the Aeldari forum consisting of a handful of Scourges and a counts-as Lelith. That Lelith is near-enough done, and looks like this;

med_gallery_84244_14220_33518.jpg

The Tenebrael Shard is such a nice stand-in; really represents the athletic nature of Lelith and the fact she just uses blades, and is different enough to stand out while still sharing enough DE hallmarks to fit in with the rest of the force.

And here's a bunch of forces in a box...

gallery_84244_14220_52698.jpg

Had another 1000 point game this weekend, and with a couple of tweaks to the force from last time managed to secure a win. I switched the Shardcarbine Scourges for a squad armed with Dark Lances (sacrificing some Hellions to make up the difference), switched the second Archon for Lelith and ran the army as 3 Patrols.

I'd brought the Scourges to deal with enemy transports, which was the major failing of my last game. As it turned out, the transports vomited out their rage-filled cargo earlier than expected and themselves posed no threat at all. That said, the Scourges still provided a game-defining contribution. They were eventually (after re-rolling) charged by a winged Daemon Prince and missed all their overwatch shots, but thanks to some poor rolls from the Prince and the application of the Lighting Fast Reactions stratagem, managed to survive the combat fully intact, and then proceeded to fall back and despite the penalty to hit, managed to blast the Prince off the board.

The Wyches did some useful work cutting down a CSM squad and putting a lot of hurt on Kh

Archived