Chazzmos' Death Guard - House Makabius Knights

Chazzmos

Looking good!

Thank you for the encouragement.

Wow, they're turning out really nice Chazz! I especially like the blue / green in various places, it really pops on the pale flesh. 

I was trying to get a bit of variation in the flesh tones through a range of colours.  There's orange, red, blue, purple, and a bit of green in there.  I even tried a bit of yellow on some of the pustules.

Really great work on the poxwalkers, the standard figures are pretty cartoonish with all the huge horns and tentacles but you've managed to turn them into something straight out of a nightmare. Painting is top notch too.

Yeah, I really didn't like the original models for that exact reason.  I can't take credit though, I found the idea on another blog.   His hot tip for me was using bicarb to accelerate the super glue which also give it a bumpy texture.  It make cleaning up rough joins really easy.  I also separated the little rubber balls out of a water filter and glued some of those on.  I think I'll use a similar approach on my Daemon Prince and end up with a big bloated flying poxwalker!

I've continued work on my next 15 Poxwalkers and thought I might share my progress and steps.

1. Airbrush Primer: Black > Grey > White
  2. Airbrush Pallid Wych Flesh (I needed 2 coats and in hindsight it still wasn’t enough!)
  3. Base coat colours and highlight OR paint on heavily thinned paint to tint the primer, makes it look like distressed leather/cloth (using Scorched Brown and Catachan Green
  4. For the blacks, I used Game Colour - Heavy Charcoal > Shadow Grey > Hideous Blue
  5. All metals with Gunmetal Grey
  6. Bases are painted using Heavy Charcoal/Shadow Grey > Shadow Grey > Fortress Grey
  7. FUN PART: Apply thinned Satin Varnish using airbrush.  Ready for oil paints
  8. All oil paints are heavily thinned with turpentine
  9. Metals are rusted using Burnt Sienna
  10. Blacks have… black washed on them
  11. Browns, greens, and orange have brown washed on them
  12. For the skin, I first apply a mix of Burnt Sienna and Yellow Ochre over everything
  13. I then apply Scarlet, mixed with a tiny bit of Van Dyke Brown to eyes, heavy recesses, and limb joints (wrists, elbows, ankles, etc.)
  14. I then mix some Ultramarine into the Scarlet mix to get a purpley/plum colour and apply to arm pits, chest, etc.
  15. After a few hours drying time, I use a makeup applicator with a bit of turpentine on it to wipe away the top layer of oil paints, re-exposing the highlights.

nFcTixS.jpg

The cheap oil paints I use.

OpP5CDy.jpg

Thinned oil paints.

ZC1ziKL.jpg

Skin with first wash of Burnt Sienna and Yellow Ochre.

fJo6nhD.jpg

With Scarlet/touch of Brown added.

PG0Lixu.jpg

With Ultramarine added to the previous mix.

Finished second squad is to come, I haven't wiped them yet!

Up next, the Bloatiest of Drones:
rh4NilN.jpg

Finally, does anyone know how I can reduce my image size a bit with Imgur links?

Edited by Chazzmos

Did a bit more work on my Foul Blightspawn:

K4biEH4.jpg

2VOZkbm.jpg

I'm planning on adding a thin brace around the pus bucket on his back and a few tentacles to hide the joins.  I don't like the 'cap' on the backpack, I think I need to make it rounded with rivets, what do you think?  Also, what are your thoughts on the stuff spewing out? Too much?

Nice, where you got the effects from?

What effects do you mean? The stuff in the barrel is just technical paint.  The cloud coming out is from the Malignant Plaguecaster.

EDIT: I LOVE your Space Wolves BTW!

Really liking your stuff Chazzmos!

The pale aesthetic is working wonders.

Thanks! I didn't really like the green and wanted something a bit gritty.

EDIT: 

Edited by Chazzmos

Slow progress at the moment, I've been doing more playing now I've got 1600 points fully painted!

I've had a few games against my mate's Scythes of the Emperor army and absolutely crushed him.  He needs to get some Hellblasters and some Bobby G methinks!  Damn it's good playing with painted models:

33kb6Eq.jpg

I've also finished converting my Foul Blightspawn and he's ready to be licked with paint:

hzFPoRl.jpg

I'm a bit of a greenstuff spud, so I'm quite happy with how it turned out.

And I've decided I need to paint my Space Wolves as well, but I'm going to try and do them with a paintjob that I can do as quickly as possible.  These are my testers:

8M299Zu.jpg

Wow, those big photos make them look rough as a bit of tape with some dirt from a wicket.  I'm dubbing them the Minutemen, because that's about how long each model takes.  I think the bases took longer than the models!

Edited by Chazzmos

A few more Minutemen:

NUGpZh1.jpg

I tried the OSL with the airbrush, looks fine to me!

Some scouts to come, should've checked the mould lines before priming :(

LBgy4ZC.jpg

And  ramping up the bases for the rest of the army:

MqPTYSd.jpg

And finally, some more Death Guard!  I just need to varnish this guy and finish his face and eyes:

NPIspEM.jpg

I'm really pleased with how he came out, ready to spew forth!

Started to do a bit of work on my Daemon Prince last night.  I picked up a generic second hand one cheaply on eBay and I need to nurglify it a bit:

8PNd1e6.jpg

I tried the body armour first but it wasn't big enough or smooth enough, so I ripped it off and thought I'd try a bloated belly and see if I liked it or wanted to try and sculpt the armour over the top of the belly.  I still found it hard to get it super smooth, but I think it's because it was already pretty hard and drying out by the time I did the belly.  From here I've got an ogre head I want to sculpt a tentacle tongue for and give three eye holes.  Finally, I need to work out a couple of nurgle-esque talons... maybe scythe like?

Well, I have been busy putting together a lot of stuff for my Space Wolves, time to start painting!  In the meantime I did finish my first scout squad and two rhinos (ready to become Razorbacks), though I haven't taken photos yet.  I also painted up my Runepriest (except for eyes):

3nYSF2hl.jpg

Another 6 scouts ready for painting:

l6s60xrl.jpg

My Razorback turrets arrived, very nice pieces I think!

YK0XuKfb.jpg

And my heavy support, two squads of lascannon toting Long Fangs:

quYxZ69l.jpg

And I did pustulise my DP a bit:

lPZofzJl.jpg

I've managed to get too many things on the go now... I need to just focus on finishing things and then moving on!

Most definitely Sagentus! I'll glue a few more on.

I'm really spending a lot more time on my Space Wolves at the moment and cranked out a couple of Razorbacks:

cF8sHQyl.jpg

These are actually my first ever finished vehicles!

I'm thinking because of my light colour scheme about making them 'Ghost Wolves' of a separate company.... need to think about it a bit more and read up.