Chazzmos' Death Guard - House Makabius Knights

Chazzmos

I have been a busy bunny, just haven't taken too many photos of late.

I've managed to finish off all of the Death Guard bases with pigment and inked the horns, and I also magnetized all of their bases for transport and have just given them their first coat of Vallejo Poly Matt Varnish:
WYYW421l.jpg

I'm really happy with how they all turned out, I think this is the group of models I've painted.

I've also finished off nearly all of the Space Wolves I've got, put on transfers, and magnetized them:
ekpSe4Al.jpg

I still need to put a bit of mud and rust pigment on those two Razorbacks sitting in the bottom and probably highlight Bjorn a bit. Looking at the previous photos, geez the Grey Hunters are rough, but my airbrush technique improved a lot on the Hellblasters.

I also did a minor conversion on a Death Company Chaplain to turn him into a Wolf Priest. The wolf head doesn't quite look right, but I was just too keen to get him all done.
LiVxPaPl.jpg

From here I want to:

• Finish two rhinos and a land raider for my Death Guard
  • Put together 4 more Blight Launcher toting Plague Marines (new style) plus a few more to have three squads of 7
  • Buy two PBC's, Mortarion, and another Bloat Drone :ohmy.:
  • Finish another squad of 6 Wolf Scouts
  • Put together 2 Wolf Guard Leaders in Terminator Armour with Storm Shields for my Long Fangs
  • Build a squad of 6 Wulfen out of Primaris Marines
  • Build a bike squad with a Tech Priest (who can also be put on foot with magnets)
  • Build another 5 Skyclaws

So much to do!

• 2 weeks later...

That technique would suit the model well. I would like to try it myself but substitute camo shade and see how it goes.

Ooh, that's a good idea. A bit late for me though:

Ql3OXQOl.jpg

I discovered a couple of things through the process. I thought I'd just be able to clean up the veins using the PWF highlight, but I'd already shaded the underlying wing so everything became a bit fat. I also think I thinned the washes I used too much, meaning that I needed to go over it too many times to get a decent line, but this fattened it as well. I also should have looked at some vein reference photos to recreate their form a bit better.

A very good learning process! I'm too lazy to repaint them and they look better IRL than in the photo. I'm sure I'll nail the underside of the wings :tongue.:.

Poxwalkers look great without the horns.

Daemon Prince looks very Nurgley. Great green stuff belly, I particularly like the split. The wings look brilliant with the veins.

My favourite is the foul blight spawn. Great use of the cloud from the pkaguecaster. Really great model. Might have to steal that idea myself.

Poxwalkers look great without the horns.

Daemon Prince looks very Nurgley. Great green stuff belly, I particularly like the split. The wings look brilliant with the veins.

My favourite is the foul blight spawn. Great use of the cloud from the pkaguecaster. Really great model. Might have to steal that idea myself.

Thanks for the encouragement. Your blog is amazing! Some of those conversions are out of control! I play Death Guard and Space Wolves, so most of your work is very close to my cold and festering heart.

Love that Demon Prince, very unique and very awesome.

Thanks! I was a bit dubious about him and there's a lot of imperfections in his skin that I should've cleaned up, but the paint makes him much better.

Any suggestions with the eyes? I'm considering:

- Black pits (as is)

- Bleeding goop holes (using Blood FTBG and Nurgle's Rot)

- Glowing green (ties in with my DG plasma and censers)

I'm really digging your Daemon Princes, man! I personally like black eyes with a high gloss effect added, it makes them look possessed and / or insect-like.

Ooh! I love that idea, maybe a bit of black glossy ink just dripping slightly down? Sounds very possessed!

With regards to the eyes. If you wanted to do shiny black eyes. You would need ball bearings or green stuff to get them to protrude. I do shiny black eyes myself, for future reference they are probably the easiest way to do eyes. Paint them black coompletely, then gloss them.

At the moment you have 3 defined eyes. It is a unique feature to have 3 and I don't think you would want to lose that. Your pale colour scheme helps show up details on your models and has been working for you. Black drips especially from the top eye might confuse the viewer a bit. what about red ink on the eye lids to make them look sore, or red drips, or green. Basically if you don't use black you can keep the clear 3 distinct eyes. But less is maybe more here. He looks great atm.

Hope that helps. Bit wary to give advice as I don't want to ruin your great work. Or disrupt your creative process.

Well, I think I'm done on this bad boy apart from the base, bit of metal highlighting and some gut work.  I added some more stippling to the tops of his wings and did the underside as well.  I started playing around with his eye sockets a bit and then chickened out and left them pretty much as is.  His pustules got a bit of a sienna/brown wash to distinguish them a bit more, they may need some diluted Nurgle's Rot on them as well.

2F80Hxgl.jpg

bvalYWWl.jpg

FjEtrOQl.jpg

I just saw on that photo that I missed a highlight on one of the scratches on his wrist guard!

With regards to the eyes. If you wanted to do shiny black eyes. You would need ball bearings or green stuff to get them to protrude. I do shiny black eyes myself, for future reference they are probably the easiest way to do eyes. Paint them black coompletely, then gloss them.

At the moment you have 3 defined eyes. It is a unique feature to have 3 and I don't think you would want to lose that. Your pale colour scheme helps show up details on your models and has been working for you. Black drips especially from the top eye might confuse the viewer a bit. what about red ink on the eye lids to make them look sore, or red drips, or green. Basically if you don't use black you can keep the clear 3 distinct eyes. But less is maybe more here. He looks great atm.

Hope that helps. Bit wary to give advice as I don't want to ruin your great work. Or disrupt your creative process.

Thanks for the thoughts, I really considered all options you put up there, but ended up just thinking the black sockets are most daemonic and freaky looking!

He is freaky looking. Great choice on the paint scheme for the wings, nice and disgusting and really suits the rest of him. I also like the darkening of the claw parts as they go towards the tip. I too do this. Great job.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I've been a bit slow of late, but it's time to go big batch or go home:

7orbqTD.jpg

To be honest, I'm kind of regretting using the wash to colour the armour, some of them look fine, but most look pretty muddy. I think if I had my time again I'd airbrush a base colour, airbrush a shade, airbrush a zenithal highlight, then just pin wash them. I think Augustus b'Raass has this sort of speed/quality technique down pat! I just need to get back to reminding myself that these are a gaming army, not so much a well painted army. Onwards and upwards!

loving the nurgle prince! i'm loving the pustules. after i put yellow on my nurgle zits i carefully add some red wash (not too much) around the zits for a infected look. not a loaded brush, just slightly wet with red wash, give it a try, i think it will contrast well with your pale skin!

cheers!