Chazzmos' Death Guard - House Makabius Knights

Chazzmos

Looking great, bud!

Thanks dude, you're always a big inspiration to me, especially your conversions!

Great work on House Makabius so far!

Cheers, I love me a bit of chaos :sick:

I've made some more progress on my knight, still a lot of washing and weathering to do on this and the Armigers.  Which head do you like?

7o85ea2.jpg

fVDtySI.jpg

And a group shot of the unholy trinity

0oZR487.jpg

Excellent work on the Chaos Knights.

Which head do you like?

7o85ea2.jpg

The skull helm looks better, in my opinion.

fVDtySI.jpg

The cyclopean helm looks too big, out-of-proportion to the Knight's body, and silly as a direct consequence- especially with the hoses hanging underneath, like a puppy's tongue. Of course, if his goal is to make his enemies underestimate him, "looking silly" will be a plus instead of a minus. Edited by Bjorn Firewalker

While it doesn't necessarily scream "Nurgle", I really like the faceplate that comes with the FW kit.

Excellent work on the Knights, brother. Saving ant for ETL?

Edit: oh, and thanks for the compliment! It means a lot to me.

Edited by DuskRaider

Biiiiiig fan of this. I'm planning on doing a Nurglite Knight at some point (probably after the new kit comes out, since everyone's talking about it, although that might be overriden by the fact that I've got easy access to a relatively cheap regular Knight, and I want to convert it anyway) and looking at other people's Chaos Knights helps me get i n s p i r e d.

Edited by Zephaniah Adriyen

Absolutely amazing!!! the level of detail is epic and the blending of colours is on point 

Cheers! I have been keen to try and up my airbrush game and emulate a few painters on this forum.  I'm still working at it, but feel I'm improving.

Excellent work on the Chaos Knights.

The skull helm looks better, in my opinion.

The cyclopean helm looks too big, out-of-proportion to the Knight's body, and silly as a direct consequence- especially with the hoses hanging underneath, like a puppy's tongue. Of course, if his goal is to make his enemies underestimate him, "looking silly" will be a plus instead of a minus.

You're spot on, I prefer the skull helm, but was not sure exactly why.  The size is definitely off putting.  The small head on a big robot looks great! I like the Leviathan and the Riptide.

While it doesn't necessarily scream "Nurgle", I really like the faceplate that comes with the FW kit.

Excellent work on the Knights, brother. Saving ant for ETL?

Edit: oh, and thanks for the compliment! It means a lot to me.

Yeah, that faceplate has grown a lot on me, it's definitely my preference.

Not sure what you mean by ant, and I've never done an ETL, but I suppose I'd better get into it!  Where's the best place to start?

Great work on your Makabius Knights - will you get one of the upcoming Chaos Questoris too?

Thanks Atia!  I'm not sure, I've got too many other projects I want to get done and I can almost see the light at the end of the tunnel on my Death Guard army, so I think I'll move on to Primaris Space Wolves after I finish my Daemon batttalion.

Biiiiiig fan of this. I'm planning on doing a Nurglite Knight at some point (probably after the new kit comes out, since everyone's talking about it, although that might be overriden by the fact that I've got easy access to a relatively cheap regular Knight, and I want to convert it anyway) and looking at other people's Chaos Knights helps me get i n s p i r e d.

If you want inspiration, we are really lucky to have DuskRaider and  Augustus b'Raass on these forums, they have done some absolutely amazing chaos conversions.  I was going for a pretty standard Chaos undivided feel on House Makabius with just a hint of Nurgle in spots.  There's definitely more direct linkage from the Armigers to my Death Guard, but I like the mix of cohesiveness and difference.

I've done some oil washing and cleanup on my knights, and I was just about to rust and verdegris them, but I'm wondering about just leaving these guys as is.  I kind of like the big simple palette without the brown/orange and turquise.  What do you all think?  

namGt3G.jpg

JWvmhTq.jpg

The rust and verdegris would be like on my DG Lord on the icon on top of his backpack:

t9agJrs.jpg

I rather liked the cyclopean head, had a nice nurgly vibe

I've got them both painted up and magnetized, so I'll see which one performs better and go with that :P  Actually, it reminds me a lot of the Bloat Drone face plate, so I might swap to it when I run them.

IMO the best heads for Nurgle Knights are the now OOP FW ones, but ya know... OOP now :sad.:

Looking great. Good to see you nabbed the transfers before they cancelled those too (what is FW thinking??).

I don't remember the OOP ones and did a quick Google but couldn't see anything.

Yeah, those transfers are hard to come by now!  Took me a while to get those.

So, I was just about to rust and verdegris these knights, but I'm wondering about just leaving them as is.  I kind of like the big simple palette without the brown/orange and turquise.  What do you think?  I'm leaning towards leaving them as is.

I've done some oil washing and cleanup on my knights, and I was just about to rust and verdegris them, but I'm wondering about just leaving these guys as is. I kind of like the big simple palette without the brown/orange and turquise. What do you all think?

Your Chaos Knights look GREAT in these colors, but I must warn you they look like Tzeentch worshipers- I see little indication they worship Nurgle instead.

I'd add some Verdigris ONLY in the recesses of the metal trim, in areas where it would naturally collect.

The Knights look awesome as-is though :thumbsup:, but I do feel some verdigris would add that extra 'pop', you know?

Yeah, the second photo is making me reconsider...  It's hard to know!

I've done some oil washing and cleanup on my knights, and I was just about to rust and verdegris them, but I'm wondering about just leaving these guys as is. I kind of like the big simple palette without the brown/orange and turquise. What do you all think?

Your Chaos Knights look GREAT in these colors, but I must warn you they look like Tzeentch worshipers- I see little indication they worship Nurgle instead.

Cheers :D  The Armigers have the pox, horns and iconography, but I see what you mean on the big guy.  Maybe the rust and verdegris will make him look a bit more decayed, which is more the feel of my army.

By the way, I love all of it, but that Lord is just perfection. I'm a huge advocate for converting as many models in your army that have the Character keyword as possible, or at least customizing them a little. Death Guard are especially good for that because, unlike Loyalist factions, they hold up REALLY well to throwing together random pieces of stuff from different kits and such.

On the rust / verdigris...

It's all personal preference. I personally went with rust to match my other Nurgle models and quite frankly I'm regretting it because it's a huge pain in the ass, especially on big models like Knights. The verdigris is obviously much easier. I guess it couldn't hurt adding it here and there, but overall I really like your models.

The question is, do you think they need either?

@Zephaniah Adriyen Thanks dude, I really like him as well, very lord like!  I didn't quite pull off the weapon, but it's a start.

@DuskRaider My method for rust and verdegris is much the same, so pretty easy.  After having the weekend to think about it, as much as I like the simple palette, I am going to add it some to give some more colour and connection to the rest of the army.